Lane Kiffin in T-Town to consult with Saban on Tide's offense.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Anyone know if we ever consult with former coaches from other teams on a paid basis? If so what would we use them for? Just curious based on a rumor I won't repost (sorry for that admins). But I am curious if anyone has knowledge or examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@McMurphyESPN: Lane Kiffin in Tuscaloosa this week as guest of Nick Saban helping evaluate Tide’s offense source told @ESPN

Last edited by a moderator:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Consulting with former coaches?

Ugh..... Tony Dungy often talk to Coach Saban at time.
Anyone know if we ever consult with former coaches from other teams on a paid basis? If so what would we use them for? Just curious based on a rumor I won't repost (sorry for that admins). But I am curious if anyone has knowledge or examples.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

We pay a former NFL GM to do the color for the radio broadcast. Willing to bet he has some input each week.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA

Ok. I got in trouble for rumoring earlier and I'm trying not to here. But. A recently former SEC and PAC 12 head coach was in the BHM airport today on his way back from Tuscaloosa - eyewitness sighting and confirmed via talking with the coach. I'm trying to see if anyone knows how we might use a coach like that?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Ok. I got in trouble for rumoring earlier and I'm trying not to here. But. A recently former SEC and PAC 12 head coach was in the BHM airport today on his way back from Tuscaloosa - eyewitness sighting and confirmed via talking with the coach. I'm trying to see if anyone knows how we might use a coach like that?

Lane Kiffin? Ed Oregeron?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

It really happens all the time...

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA

Thanks Earle. I was hoping this was something very normal and not an interview or anything more permanent like that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Thanks Earle. I was hoping this was something very normal and not an interview or anything more permanent like that.

It usually occurs in offseason. However in the bowl season, if the consulting coach's season has ended, then he might be brought in for specialized knowledge. The SEC has a (lightly enforced) rule against SEC coaches consulting during the season against other SEC coaches. That was the firestorm for Meyer helping the Utah coach against us. However, Saban made sure Meyer got his payback and then some...

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

It usually occurs in offseason. However in the bowl season, if the consulting coach's season has ended, then he might be brought in for specialized knowledge. The SEC has a (lightly enforced) rule against SEC coaches consulting during the season against other SEC coaches. That was the firestorm for Meyer helping the Utah coach against up. However, Saban made sure Meyer got his payback and then some...
Well that blows my suggestion that Pruitt and Jimbo call up Chavis, although the boogs will say they only stopped their ground game because it was raining.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Sure beats wires getting crossed, a drunk telling a tale, and Furman Bisher nearly destroying not one but two SEC legends.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

Coach Bryant had a strong relationship with a lot of Coaches.

There was a story (I think it was Woody Hayes) hd a tough year & just need to get away for a week. He told his wife he did not want to be disturbed unless Coach Bryant called.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Looks like the coach was Lane Kiffin...

@McMurphyESPN: Lane Kiffin in Tuscaloosa this week as guest of Nick Saban helping evaluate Tide’s offense source told @ESPN

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Intel is he was pretty-pleasing Saban for the 2009 UCheaT gamefilm to add it to his checkered (OK, forlorn) resume as the highlight of his head coaching career.

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007

You can't even talk to anyone these days without it getting out somehow.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Kiffin is a pretty good OC, terrible head coach and terrible personality but a good OC.
Good point. This year was an anomaly for Kiffen's offense (@ the college level). It's usually a very efficient prostyle. He's also good at developing QBs. I think it's a good thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.