Lane Kiffin in T-Town to consult with Saban on Tide's offense.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Just to flip this around a bit . . . if you're Lane Kiffin and need to rehab your image/rep, who better to go spend some time with than Coach Saban?

Really hope this stays at the consultation level, though.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
Maybe it is not the Offense he wants to talk about. Maybe Offenses in general. Let's face it after Auburn and Texas A & M, there will be more teams that will try to throw new stuff at CNS and CKS defenses.
For a moment I though you meant Kevin Sumlin. Heh, I could run over his defenses (so far, anyway).

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Just to flip this around a bit . . . if you're Lane Kiffin and need to rehab your image/rep, who better to go spend some time with than Coach Saban?

Really hope this stays at the consultation level, though.
Yes!

For all the Evil they (the media) like to paint CNS to be, he has tried to help numerous former coaches.
This won't lead to a $4m a year job but could help LK get a job.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
When do bowl practices start? The first week or two is pretty general stuff, and not opponent specific, right? Given our QB situation in 2014, I would not be surprised at all to find out it is to help look at our QBs and to get an outsider's perspective.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Lane was either the offinsive coordinator or quarterback coach at USC when they hung 55 on Oklahoma in the BCS Championship game. So maybe Coach Saban thinks he can share a little insight.
Norm Chow was the OC in 2004, LK was they OC in 2005 and 2006.

There's no question he's a great QB coach and good OC.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
When do bowl practices start? The first week or two is pretty general stuff, and not opponent specific, right? Given our QB situation in 2014, I would not be surprised at all to find out it is to help look at our QBs and to get an outsider's perspective.
I thought practices started this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Starts today.

Norm Chow was the OC in 2004, LK was they OC in 2005 and 2006.

There's no question he's a great QB coach and good OC.
The link I posted on page 2 or 3 talks about Kiffin and Sark's contributions to the USC offense while Chow was OC. Seems like Carroll had Chow as OC in title and Kiffn and Sark as position coaches running the offense.

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
Well what do ya know. I go to yahoo.com this morning and see this article on the front page:

At this point I think they'll write an article on anything regarding Nick Saban. "Report: Nick Saban had a dubious little debbie" or "Report: Nick Saban watered his lawn dubiously"

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The Yahoo article leaves impression this is CNS talking to LK about a coaching job if Nuss leaves.

It's nothing more than an opinion piece like you might read from a poster on ITAT.

Only fact in the story is that LK is apparently in T-town.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
The Yahoo article leaves impression this is CNS talking to LK about a coaching job if Nuss leaves.

It's nothing more than an opinion piece like you might read from a poster on ITAT.

If Nuss were to leave, why not look at Kiffin? He is a proven OC and QB coach. If anyone could force him to check the ego at the door, its Saban. I know when Saban brought back Lance Thompson lots of folks were opposed due to past actions but, that has turned out for the best. I hope Nuss stays but, if he doesn't I'd trust Saban with whoever he hires...

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Like him or not, Kiffin is obviously respected in coaching circles. I do think he's a quality QB coach...not completely sold on him as an offensive coordinator. His playcalling always reminded me a little too much of Mike Shula.

My guess is CNS brought him in to evaluate the quarterback situation for next season and give some pointers on developing green signal callers, for which he does have a decent track record. As others have said, this is actually pretty common.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Finebaum on ESPN this morning compared the visit by Lane K. as similar to the visit last year by Leach before the ND game.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Where is all this love for LK as an offensive mind coming from? USC offense hung 7 on Washington State, 30 on Hawaii, and 17 on Utah State. IIRC, the Trojans led at the half against Arizona State and got curb stomped in the second half thus the bus left Lane at the airport in Los Angeles. The USC offense immediately improved with Ed Orgeron feeding them cookies and ice cream. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Kiffen is a good offensive mind at all.

Do we know for certain that CNS asked Kiffen to come to Tuscaloosa? Is it possible Kiffen asked to see Coach Saban?

I for one am not comfortable with the words "Lane Kiffen is in Tuscaloosa". I'd just as soon have Gene Chizik come for a visit.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Where is all this love for LK as an offensive mind coming from?
From his time as an offensive coach at USC and not his time as a head coach.

Remember, Kiffin's agent is Sexton. Saban could have actually invited him to evaluate the offense like ESPN reports, or Sexton could have asked Saban to bring him down for a week to polish up his image a little. I'm sure we'll get some response from CNS when he meets with the media, which should be today.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
It was reported at the time that Coach Saban offered Kiffin the OC job when Applewhite "left". Saban has high regard for Kiffin's offensive expertise. Fine by me.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Actually with Saban's one voice policy regarding coaches, Bama might not be a terrible fit for LK. Not saying i necessarily would love to have him but if he brings something to the table why not? He's certainly not a bad recruiter. On a different note I never knew anything about Leach making a visit last year. That is just funny to me when consider his personality compared to Saban's.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Actually with Saban's one voice policy regarding coaches, Bama might not be a terrible fit for LK. Not saying i necessarily would love to have him but if he brings something to the table why not? He's certainly not a bad recruiter. On a different note I never knew anything about Leach making a visit last year. That is just funny to me when consider his personality compared to Saban's.
I think Nick was just looking for a halloween costume & needed Leach's advise on how to dress like a pirate.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.