Sugar Bowl Practice and Press Conference Thread

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Alabama began practicing for Oklahoma today.

Practice report here.

As reported Monday by CBSSports.com, Anthony Steen was not at practice because of his recent shoulder surgery. In his place with the first team was freshman Grant Hill, who had been mostly playing at right tackle this season. Redshirt freshman Alphonse Taylor is also someone to watch over the next couple of weeks.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban's first presser for the bowl game is on the way.

Here's the live stream

Here's a link to updates from al.com's writers

Saban: It's really good to get back to work with our team.
Saban: "Good first practice for us."
Saban: "We have a great opportunity against a really good team to prove that we are a good football team."
Saban says the first few practices will be like camp, more for fundamentals.
Saban says Anthony Steen played the second half of the season with shoulder problems that got progressively worse.
Saban confirms G Anthony Steen had shoulder surgery. Injury got worse as season progressed. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (knee) back practicing.
Saban says Dalvin Tomlinson and Nick Perry are just out there to do football stuff and continue rehabbing. They won't play.
Saban: I'd like to congratulate the 17 guys we had graduate, that's the most we've ever had.
Saban notes 28 players will have degrees when they play in the Sugar Bowl.
Saban on Lane Kiffin being in town: "I can't believe that there's any reaction to it."
Nick Saban says he can’t believe there’s been any reaction to Lane Kiffin visiting Bama, citing how Oklahoma’s staff has been here before.
Saban on Kiffin: "Lane is a very good offensive coach and I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for him."
Saban lights up when asked about being a grandparent: "It's really wonderful. You really have to count your blessings." Big smile.
Saban on the Texas talk: I don’t have any more reactions to it. It’s over …. Can we look forward? I’m looking forward.
Nick Saban, again, reiterates that there were “no talks” between his representatives and Texas.
Saban mentions Alphonse Taylor, Kellen Williams, Grant Hill and "one of the centers" as players who could fill in for Anthony Steen at RG.
Saban on lessons learned from the loss: "Every guy has to change his habits and get back on track so we can do things."
Saban: bowl practice is an opportunity to "re-learn" fundamentals. Can't do that when everything is changing during the season
Saban says he takes a computer with him and watches film, recruits and Oklahoma during recruiting trips.

Last edited:

JAXFLBAMAFAN

All-SEC
Nov 30, 1999
Jacksonville FL
Saban's first presser for the bowl game is on the way.

Here's the live stream

Here's a link to updates from al.com's writers

Saban: It's really good to get back to work with our team.
Saban: "Good first practice for us."
Saban: "We have a great opportunity against a really good team to prove that we are a good football team."
Saban says the first few practices will be like camp, more for fundamentals.
Saban says Anthony Steen played the second half of the season with shoulder problems that got progressively worse.
Saban confirms G Anthony Steen had shoulder surgery. Injury got worse as season progressed. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (knee) back practicing.
Saban says Dalvin Tomlinson and Nick Perry are just out there to do football stuff and continue rehabbing. They won't play.
Saban: I'd like to congratulate the 17 guys we had graduate, that's the most we've ever had.
Saban notes 28 players will have degrees when they play in the Sugar Bowl.
Saban on Lane Kiffin being in town: "I can't believe that there's any reaction to it."
Nick Saban says he can’t believe there’s been any reaction to Lane Kiffin visiting Bama, citing how Oklahoma’s staff has been here before.
Saban on Kiffin: "Lane is a very good offensive coach and I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for him."
Saban lights up when asked about being a grandparent: "It's really wonderful. You really have to count your blessings." Big smile.
Saban on the Texas talk: I don’t have any more reactions to it. It’s over …. Can we look forward? I’m looking forward.
Nick Saban, again, reiterates that there were “no talks” between his representatives and Texas.
Saban mentions Alphonse Taylor, Kellen Williams, Grant Hill and "one of the centers" as players who could fill in for Anthony Steen at RG.
Saban on lessons learned from the loss: "Every guy has to change his habits and get back on track so we can do things."
Saban: bowl practice is an opportunity to "re-learn" fundamentals. Can't do that when everything is changing during the season
Saban says he takes a computer with him and watches film, recruits and Oklahoma during recruiting trips.

Thanks for posting the transcript of the presser. I despise trying to watch video to learn what CNS has to say. It's great to read about Bama ball again. Not looking forward to the off season.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Day by day we get the sour taste of the IB out of our mouths. Glad we are playing football again.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Interesting with Grant Hill. I thought he was going to start on the right side next season but with Shepard sliding into RG and Hill taking RT.

Of course, that is still probably on the table in 2014 but the idea now is to make it 1 new guy instead of effectively 2 new guys.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Interesting with Grant Hill. I thought he was going to start on the right side next season but with Shepard sliding into RG and Hill taking RT.

Of course, that is still probably on the table in 2014 but the idea now is to make it 1 new guy instead of effectively 2 new guys.
So you think it could be only for the bowl game?

Makes me wonder what our line might look like next year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Wondered about that, too. CNS mentioned a few others that could play RG in Nola.

If Grant moves to RG for 2014, the line could be: Brown, Arie, Chad/Ryan, Hill and Austin. Wouldn't complain with that line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Hill was an OG prospect but he was getting a lot of time at OT this Fall. Either way, he's going to be one of the best 5 next year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.