Question: If Coker from FSU transfers when will it be announced?

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I've read alot about Coker, FSU's back up QB, transferring to Bama next year. He should graduate in the spring with two years of eligibility. When would we expect an announcement one way or the other. If you haven't been following this story, he was neck and neck with Winston in Fall camp, and some say he was better. He went to the same high school as AJ.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
Would we even take him if he wanted to transfer to Bama? The "neck and neck with Winston" comment aside, is he so good that we'd use up a spot on him because we'd expect him to beat out Sims, Morris, Del Rio, and the others?

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Probably not until he graduates
Agree - the coaches will most likely know but there will be no official announcement until after he graduates. After all, FSU is still paying for his schooling at the present. We will most likely see him in spring ball there. I am thinking the Russell Wilson deal to Wisky broke in June - although I don't remember if he participated in spring ball at NC State.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We will definitely take him, if he wants to come. His mom is a bit of a busybody and that may interfere with the transfer. If he comes, he will be instantly battling for the top spot. He's as good, or almost as good, as Winston and he's familiar with a style of play and play book very similar to ours. Like RTO, I look for a late announcement, but, as I said, family entanglements may put him out of reach...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
We will definitely take him, if he wants to come. His mom is a bit of a busybody and that may interfere with the transfer. If he comes, he will be instantly battling for the top spot. He's as good, or almost as good, as Winston and he's familiar with a style of play and play book very similar to ours. Like RTO, I look for a late announcement, but, as I said, family entanglements may put him out of reach...
I hate to hear that cause I understand being in your kids life, but,there comes a time when you have to let go, and let them do their own thang & grow up to be his own man..As a Daddy of two beautiful Baby Girls, as much as I wanna be there at all times, I know I have to let them go &live their own lives..

And trust that as a Daddy I did my job raising them right, & trust in them, cause I know they will become great humans as they find their place in this crazy ... world..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
is he so good that we'd use up a spot on him because we'd expect him to beat out Sims, Morris, Del Rio, and the others?
I don't want to disparage Morris, but let's be clear on this. Morris never, at any point has shown that he's ready to start at Alabama. I don't believe he's ever been #2 on the depth chart, and he's not even #3 now. I'm sure he has a great work ethic, he's a great guy, and all of that, but the fact of the matter if he ended up at Alabama after they missed out on who they were aiming for. He wasn't heavily recruited by anyone, he's never blown anyone away, and he's the type of guy that you want around in case others get injured. I would be very surprised if he in fact stays around and takes up a scholarship next year, as I still doubt he's even the #2. I never once got the talk about Morris any more than I got the talk about Ely. Both were plan Bs and ironically FSU in each case got the QB Alabama wanted.

As far as Coker, Alabama recruited him initially (ahead of Ely), and he's taller and faster than AJ. He might not turn out to be great, but he's both considered a pro prospect and one of the best backups in the FBS. Compared to Morris there's really not much of a comparison, the reason Coker wasn't more heavily recruited and more highly ranked is because he was a late bloomer. Put it this way though, Coker was the #2 at FSU, and Morris is at best the #4 right now.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I don't want to disparage Morris, but let's be clear on this. Morris never, at any point has shown that he's ready to start at Alabama. I don't believe he's ever been #2 on the depth chart, and he's not even #3 now. I'm sure he has a great work ethic, he's a great guy, and all of that, but the fact of the matter if he ended up at Alabama after they missed out on who they were aiming for. He wasn't heavily recruited by anyone, he's never blown anyone away, and he's the type of guy that you want around in case others get injured. I would be very surprised if he in fact stays around and takes up a scholarship next year, as I still doubt he's even the #2. I never once got the talk about Morris any more than I got the talk about Ely. Both were plan Bs and ironically FSU in each case got the QB Alabama wanted.

As far as Coker, Alabama recruited him initially (ahead of Ely), and he's taller and faster than AJ. He might not turn out to be great, but he's both considered a pro prospect and one of the best backups in the FBS. Compared to Morris there's really not much of a comparison, the reason Coker wasn't more heavily recruited and more highly ranked is because he was a late bloomer. Put it this way though, Coker was the #2 at FSU, and Morris is at best the #4 right now.
Enough with the rant against Morris.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Would we even take him if he wanted to transfer to Bama? The "neck and neck with Winston" comment aside, is he so good that we'd use up a spot on him because we'd expect him to beat out Sims, Morris, Del Rio, and the others?
I'd take him. I want us to have the best players. If Coker is better than our guys, he should play.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Enough with the rant against Morris.
It wasn't.

I have no problem with Morris, why would I? It's just that people need to be more realistic when it comes to their expectations.
Sims definitely. Morris & Del Rio probably.
I don't get this. Sims has been the backup for a while now, and there's a reason for this. I don't understand how people seem so dismissive of him. If anyone is going to have to be beat out for the starting job, it's Sims, and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't play some sort of important role in the offense.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
It wasn't.

I have no problem with Morris, why would I? It's just that people need to be more realistic when it comes to their expectations.
This thread isn't about Morris, it was about Coker. Someone listed Morris's name in a list of others and you singled him out and went off on him. It was out of place and out of line for this thread.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This thread isn't about Morris, it was about Coker. Someone listed Morris's name in a list of others and you singled him out and went off on him. It was out of place and out of line for this thread.
I know this might come close to sparring, but how many times has Blake Sims been singled out in various threads (including this one)? My point was, and is that Blake Sims is the #2, he's the man to beat, and Morris is virtually out of the picture. That's no disrespect to Morris, but he just ain't the #2 guy, there is a #2 guy though and he's earned that spot. I didn't have a problem with Thomas Darrah, or Phillip Ely, but I never had any delusion they would or should be ahead of Phillip Sims or AJ McCarron. I just don't get why his name keeps coming up when others (the ones I didn't mention) clearly earned their spot ahead of him.

I like Trey Roberts, but I don't think he's going to start for Alabama at running back next year...

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I know this might come close to sparring, but how many times has Blake Sims been singled out in various threads (including this one)? My point was, and is that Blake Sims is the #2, he's the man to beat, and Morris is virtually out of the picture. That's no disrespect to Morris, but he just ain't the #2 guy, there is a #2 guy though and he's earned that spot. I didn't have a problem with Thomas Darrah, or Phillip Ely, but I never had any delusion they would or should be ahead of Phillip Sims or AJ McCarron. I just don't get why his name keeps coming up when others (the ones I didn't mention) clearly earned their spot ahead of him.

I like Trey Roberts, but I don't think he's going to start for Alabama at running back next year...
The point is, you keep droning on about it in excruciating detail. Just say you don't think he's the guy and move along

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Coker fits the Saban prototype, and is from a part of the state that Saban wants to lock down, so this makes sense - and the timing couldn't be better for him or Alabama.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Let's get back on point. I had never heard of Coker until the talk of him transferring started. I checked out his Rivals profile, and he certainly has all the physical attributes you'd want in a pro-style QB. If he is truly neck and neck with Winston, I would love to have him at Bama, if nothing else to push the other QBs even more.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.