***JUCO DLs Jarran Reed and DJ Pettway sign with Bama today***

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Rodney Orr says Jarrad Reed and DJ Pettway are expected to sign with Alabama today.

He also said Dominick Jackson will sign in February.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Re: JUCO Signing Period Starts Today (12/18)

Rodney Orr says Jarrad Reed and DJ Pettway are expected to sign with Alabama today.

He also said Dominick Jackson will sign in February.
It will be interesting to see how DJ has changed. I'm sure the team will welcome him back with open arms. Wish we had Jarran and DJ for the Sugar bowl.
How confident are we that Dominick Jackson will qualify?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

It will be interesting to see how DJ has changed. I'm sure the team will welcome him back with open arms. Wish we had Jarran and DJ for the Sugar bowl.
How confident are we that Dominick Jackson will qualify?
Jackson is currently taking 6 or 7 classes. I imagine that will be the case in the spring too. If he does it, he will be here in May.

eagleone

Sep 15, 2010

Anyone sign yet from the JC ranks? Who will release the signings.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Re: ***Juco DL Jarran Reed and DJ Pettway sign with Bama today***

FYI, am told Pettway won't count against the 25.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

Jarran Reed and DJ Pettway add experience and versatility to our defensive line. I think they will be go immediately into the playing rotation. I believe we will see more rotation next season at the DL.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

That would be HUGE! With the unbelievable talent we are having to pass on, it is always great to get a "freebie".
yes, plus an additional backcounter so "common knowledge" has us at 27 counting Pettway plus Reed as a backcounter.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

heard that too, but why doesn't his scholly count against the 25 limit? is it because he was already counted once a few years back?
Essentially yes. Given that Pettway originally signed in 2011, he won't count against the SEC 25-per year limit, but will count against the NCAA 85 scholarship limit.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

That is a big boost to our defense next year!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: ***JUCO DL Jarran Reed and DJ Pettway sign with Bama today***

At Alabama, the 85 limit has to be the hardest to manage. No one wants to leave unless they are about to be drafted.

socalbamafan123

Scout Team
May 26, 2010

Essentially yes. Given that Pettway originally signed in 2011, he won't count against the SEC 25-per year limit, but will count against the NCAA 85 scholarship limit.
so this means we get a freebie this year while everyone else takes a hit against their 25 man limit. me likey

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

I am particularly pleased about DJ. He obviously made a huge error in judgment but he must have done enough to redeem himself to Coach Saban and the staff. I wish him all the best while at Alabama including getting his degree.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I wonder if they will be able to participate in practice. At least sit in on meetings or watch practice.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I write this knowing I will be flamed. I don't care.

How do you face the beaten students or their parents and loved ones and let them hear you say, "Great job DJ!! The Defense needs you!! Gee, we sure are sorry about that nastiness last year, but forgiveness is next to Godliness. Plus, hey, 11.5 sacks is 11.5 sacks. The D-line just got a huge boost. Call Alex Shunarrah about that PTSD. I'm sure he can work something out for you."

My record on this board speaks for itself. Up to this, in a whole bunch of posts dating back a bunch of years, I have consistently supported the Athletic Department and University Administration on matters of judgment.

I'm questioning here.

How is it that, less than a year after participating in the beating of two defenseless students who just happened to be in the wrong place when four thugs decided to have some fun, one of the admitted participants is going to school for free, wearing the crimson jersey in the process? Never spending a day in jail?

So many others have honored that jersey, tradition, and opportunity for education, and countless more would have if only they'd had the athletic ability to do so. Yet this [insert your own noun -- I could suggest several, but all of them would get me suspended] continues happily skipping down the bunny trail after about 6 months' penance not in jail, but at a junior college?

Read the stories of the students and the people who helped them in the immediate aftermath of assault and battery. Then tell me that, "I'm sorry. Really I am. I made a mistake. Plus, I haven't beaten a soul since then, or even watched while somebody else did," kisses it and makes it all better.

To repeat a statement I made in an earlier thread, let's make this personal. How do you feel if your son or daughter is alone at midnight on the Quad after the library closes, and Mr. Pettway is approaching. You want to take the chance that he's not feeling the need for a snack at the vending machine?

I am flabbergasted and appalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.