***JUCO DLs Jarran Reed and DJ Pettway sign with Bama today***

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I write this knowing I will be flamed. I don't care.

How do you face the beaten students or their parents and loved ones and let them hear you say, "Great job DJ!! The Defense needs you!! Gee, we sure are sorry about that nastiness last year, but forgiveness is next to Godliness. Plus, hey, 11.5 sacks is 11.5 sacks. The D-line just got a huge boost. Call Alex Shunarrah about that PTSD. I'm sure he can work something out for you."

My record on this board speaks for itself. Up to this, in a whole bunch of posts dating back a bunch of years, I have consistently supported the Athletic Department and University Administration on matters of judgment.

I'm questioning here.

How is it that, less than a year after participating in the beating of two defenseless students who just happened to be in the wrong place when four thugs decided to have some fun, one of the admitted participants is going to school for free, wearing the crimson jersey in the process? Never spending a day in jail?

So many others have honored that jersey, tradition, and opportunity for education, and countless more would have if only they'd had the athletic ability to do so. Yet this [insert your own noun -- I could suggest several, but all of them would get me suspended] continues happily skipping down the bunny trail after about 6 months' penance not in jail, but at a junior college?

Read the stories of the students and the people who helped them in the immediate aftermath of assault and battery. Then tell me that, "I'm sorry. Really I am. I made a mistake. Plus, I haven't beaten a soul since then, or even watched while somebody else did," kisses it and makes it all better.

To repeat a statement I made in an earlier thread, let's make this personal. How do you feel if your son or daughter is alone at midnight on the Quad after the library closes, and Mr. Pettway is approaching. You want to take the chance that he's not feeling the need for a snack at the vending machine?

I am flabbergasted and appalled.
I don't think anyone outside of UA and the people during the incident know exactly what happened. What if DJ was just in the car and had no idea what the other guys planned to do? Not saying that was the case, but I haven't seen anything that has said that DJ was the one doing the beating. He still has some culpability sure, but I can see a second chance if he wasn't the main culprit.

Its definitely a risk taking him back. He has to be on zero tolerance. He could really embarrass and give more negative publicity to the university and CNS by having another incident.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I write this knowing I will be flamed. I don't care.

How do you face the beaten students or their parents and loved ones and let them hear you say, "Great job DJ!! The Defense needs you!! Gee, we sure are sorry about that nastiness last year, but forgiveness is next to Godliness. Plus, hey, 11.5 sacks is 11.5 sacks. The D-line just got a huge boost. Call Alex Shunarrah about that PTSD. I'm sure he can work something out for you."

My record on this board speaks for itself. Up to this, in a whole bunch of posts dating back a bunch of years, I have consistently supported the Athletic Department and University Administration on matters of judgment.

I'm questioning here.

How is it that, less than a year after participating in the beating of two defenseless students who just happened to be in the wrong place when four thugs decided to have some fun, one of the admitted participants is going to school for free, wearing the crimson jersey in the process? Never spending a day in jail?

So many others have honored that jersey, tradition, and opportunity for education, and countless more would have if only they'd had the athletic ability to do so. Yet this [insert your own noun -- I could suggest several, but all of them would get me suspended] continues happily skipping down the bunny trail after about 6 months' penance not in jail, but at a junior college?

Read the stories of the students and the people who helped them in the immediate aftermath of assault and battery. Then tell me that, "I'm sorry. Really I am. I made a mistake. Plus, I haven't beaten a soul since then, or even watched while somebody else did," kisses it and makes it all better.

To repeat a statement I made in an earlier thread, let's make this personal. How do you feel if your son or daughter is alone at midnight on the Quad after the library closes, and Mr. Pettway is approaching. You want to take the chance that he's not feeling the need for a snack at the vending machine?

I am flabbergasted and appalled.
I can't say I disagree with you at all. I am curious as to his role in the crime and only have to wonder at this point why he would be taken back with the potential backlash or even allowed back into school for that matter. My general objections are compounded by personal concerns (I have a kid at UA). knowing exactly what happened that night would help me make up my mind about this recruit.

Heisman4Bama

1st Team
Jun 18, 2010
Here's my take: if his fellow football players/coaches and current students are accepting of him coming back, I think that should be all that matters. I currently attend UA and seeing as he is the only one of the three players given a second chance, he must hadnt done anything that completely exiled from rejoining the team like the other 3 guys. Granted, he will have the crime follow him around like a shadow for awhile but if he does all the right things, helps out within the community, and plays well on the football field, people will start to respect him again and he will become just another Alabama football player.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I agree somewhat with 4Q. DJ took part in some very vicious attacks against fellow UA students on campus. From what his JC coaches say, he's been a model citizen. There's no doubting his athletic ability. I hope the assaults were just a very poor judgment decision from him. With CNS, I'm sure DJ will be a VERY short leash in terms of discipline.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
We sure got plenty lining up to cast the first stone don't we? ;) Since none of you know what happened exactly and what is the coaches thinking and reasons for accepting him back, why are you even posting an opinion? Afraid of what fans from other schools are gonna say about coach Saban and Alabama? If coach Saban and his staff are not afraid of signing him again then why should we be? It is not mine or your jobs to worry about who the coaches and school signs and enrolls at Bama.

Regardless if he is there or not you all need to teach your kids going to school, any school, to make wise choices about when and where they go and do as well as safety precaution and protection. Don't worry about DJ worry about your own!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree with 4Q all the way. Second chance, sure. Just not where you blew your first one.
This thought is very odd to me. Why not where you were? I read the press release put out by DJ's attorney after he was dismissed by Alabama and DJ was very, very respectful and thankful of Alabama and his teammates. He burned no bridges.

It's not bad for Alabama, and it is not bad for DJ, so if you support second chances, why not Alabama?

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
want to discuss it? take it to non-sports.... we are not going to discuss "2nd chances" on the recruiting board anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.