Link: Is The AHSAA About To Make Major Alignment Changes

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I read this article in The Anniston Star that hints major changes are about to happen in Alabama High School alignments or may about to happen..Like maybe a 7A in Alabama High School Football..I was curious if any of y'all might know what's going on or have heard about changes that's about to happen..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

Rtringadsden

3rd Team
Oct 17, 2011
Re: Is The AHSSA Fixing To Make Major Alignment Changes

everything I am hearing is this is going to happen. I think the hold up is how they are going to split the regions up

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

I don't think it would make a difference with Hoover. They are head and shoulders the most dominant school in Alabama right now. If anything it would just save a few 6A school from playing them. On the other hand it would screw up severely rivalries Vestavia, Spain Park etc...I don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

everything I am hearing is this is going to happen. I think the hold up is how they are going to split the regions up
I don't think it would make a difference with Hoover. They are head and shoulders the most dominant school in Alabama right now. If anything it would just save a few 6A school from playing them. On the other hand it would screw up severely rivalries Vestavia, Spain Park etc...I don't like it.

Thanks y'all..I thought it was kinda odd to add a 7A class, how many schools would make it up, cause we don't have that many Hoover super big type schools in Alabama..

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States

I am a high school football coach. The talk is they are taking the 32 largest schools in the state and making another classification. It looks like it very well may happen. The reason for this is because of the disparity in size of the largest 6A schools and the smallest 6A schools. They are trying to make a more level playing field.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Thanks y'all..I thought it was kinda odd to add a 7A class, how many schools would make it up, cause we don't have that many Hoover super big type schools in Alabama..
Prattville and Daphne are the only two schools that are close....keyword close.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

I am a high school football coach. The talk is they are taking the 32 largest schools in the state and making another classification. It looks like it very well may happen. The reason for this is because of the disparity in size of the largest 6A schools and the smallest 6A schools. They are trying to make a more level playing field.

If true, I would agree with this mindset. I coach cross country and track at the 6A level, and there is a bit of a talent disparity between the big 5A/small 6A schools and the biggest 6A schools. Last I checked, the population gap is 800-1,000+ students between the smallest 6A and largest 6A school.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

If anything they should just move those smaller 6A schools to 5A.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL

Prattville and Daphne are the only two schools that are close....keyword close.

Bob Jones HS in Madison would be close, if not bigger if they hadn't split it to make James Clemens HS. Sparkman HS in Harvest is the second or third biggest high school in the state, I believe.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

There is a 1200 student enrollment difference in Hoover and the bottom team in 6A. I think they make this 7A a "super division" that has 15-20 schools in it. Then they realign everyone else. I also heard that they were going to propose that the private schools go from a 1.2 to a 1.8 when counting students. This will change a lot.

I'm just ready for whatever is going to happen to happen. I want to know where we will be in the future.

ETA: Here is a link with the current classifications and enrollment. Also just saw Mike's post above where it would be a 32 team class. Cool.

http://www.ahsaa.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Qau5%2baD%2bF40%3d&tabid=4440

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

I appreciate the answer & that makes sense..So when it happens it going to cause a lot of schools to be bumped up to a higher classification..Like my old high school Walter Wellborn which is 2A right now, and is on the brink of being bumped up anyways, will cause them to go ahead & be bumped up to 3A..

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

Bob Jones HS in Madison would be close, if not bigger if they hadn't split it to make James Clemens HS. Sparkman HS in Harvest is the second or third biggest high school in the state, I believe.
Well student size yes but I was referring to being dominant.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

also heard that they were going to propose that the private schools go from a 1.2 to a 1.8 when counting students. This will change a lot.

That would be ridiculous. The 1.3x multiplier was bad enough, nearly doubling enrollment is asinine. I guess they're trying to force private schools into their own association like the AISA.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama

That would be ridiculous. The 1.3x multiplier was bad enough, nearly doubling enrollment is asinine. I guess they're trying to force private schools into their own association like the AISA.
Well, it is because they can recruit and give scholarships but I agree with you.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

I don't agree. Private schools have "advantages" over the public schools. Look at Madison Academy in football and basketball.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

As someone that's graduated and coached at a private school that did not give out scholarships it's infuriating to see people propose handicapping our sports program out of ignorance and guilty by association.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.