Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Is anyone else surprised with the recent secondary decommits?

I don't blame guys for opening up their recruiting. They're making a huge commitment to their future academically and potentially professionally. Still, given our struggles in the secondary this year I am quite surprised with the number of DB defections in this upcoming class. I figured some of these guys would be licking their chops to get to Tuscaloosa and compete for a position.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Is anyone else surprised with the recent secondary decommits?

I agree should be wide open competition especially at corner. I would be lying if I said I am not concerned about our dbs right now. I hope we can pull a couple of the big names in this class.

BamaNation First Team JustNeedMe81's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

I'm not worried about that... That just mean next year class will have a huge shot at getting playing time. we have some redshirt folks ready to step in.. we may not have depth, but who knows.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

You heard it here first. Before the 2014 season is over our defensive backfield will be one of our strongest positions.

BamaNation All-American sanjosecrimson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by hacksaw830 View Post
    You heard it here first. Before the 2014 season is over our defensive backfield will be one of our strongest positions.
    I believe you. Some fans are forgetting about the talent in T town at this moment. Everett, Smith, Cook and of course Jackson, Geno Smith, Sylve. Saban will get them ready to go in spring. Patience ....regarding these de commits, it happens and our staff will replace them with adequate young men who will fill our needs. I essentially stop worrying or stressing over recruiting since CNS arrive. He gets paid a little bit more than me to be concern. Lol!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Hootie was the only surprise decommitt. The others were expected. We'll see what happens with Hootie. CJ appears to be on the verge of committing to Bama. Then, we have Marlon and possibly Taber.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired on TideFans.com

There may be reasons they are decommitting that aren't being told. I know nothing but could the possibility be that they have been told that if so and so commits we won't have a spot for you, so they are shopping? Again, I now nothing, don't even know if that type of thing goes on.
    I've read the end of The Book and I know who wins!

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

^^^^^^ Since Brown is not mentioned in above post, does that mean the ship has sailed on him?

BamaNation All-American Matt0424's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Brown is a beast, but I highly doubt he ends up here...

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I was afraid of that. Hopefull Tabor will end up with us, I feel good about Humphrey.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I don't understand why there aren't top 5 DB's wanting to come play for CNS every year. We are have signed excellent safeties, but considering this year was a patchwork (revolving door) at CB and the fact that we've had to use JUCO CB's over the last 3 years (Belue and Menzie - not to mention Travall Dixon, who was here for a spring) I don't get why top flight CB's aren't coming here every year. Dee Miliner in the 2010 class was the last 5 star stud CB we have got. Its just puzzling to me considering that CNS' reputation as a DB coach. His last two 5 star CB's went in the 1st round of the draft.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by hacksaw830 View Post
    That's saying something because - assuming Pagan returns - our DL should be the deepest and most talented it has been in years.

Allen, Ivory, Lake, Pagan, Robinson, Tomlinson already on campus with Pettway coming in after an 8-month hiatus. Hand is probably a year-one contributor as the #1 overall DE.

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    I don't understand why there aren't top 5 DB's wanting to come play for CNS every year. We are have signed excellent safeties, but considering this year was a patchwork (revolving door) at CB and the fact that we've had to use JUCO CB's over the last 3 years (Belue and Menzie - not to mention Travall Dixon, who was here for a spring) I don't get why top flight CB's aren't coming here every year. Dee Miliner in the 2010 class was the last 5 star stud CB we have got. Its just puzzling to me considering that CNS' reputation as a DB coach. His last two 5 star CB's went in the 1st round of the draft.
    I've wondered this myself. Of course, we've signed some quality 4-star corners who should be SEC quality players with 1st round ceilings too.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

I was wondering the same thing, Bama has had a player win individual awards for every position with the exception of TE, WR and the Secondary.