Question: Is anyone else surprised with the recent secondary decommits?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I don't understand why there aren't top 5 DB's wanting to come play for CNS every year. We are have signed excellent safeties, but considering this year was a patchwork (revolving door) at CB and the fact that we've had to use JUCO CB's over the last 3 years (Belue and Menzie - not to mention Travall Dixon, who was here for a spring) I don't get why top flight CB's aren't coming here every year. Dee Miliner in the 2010 class was the last 5 star stud CB we have got. Its just puzzling to me considering that CNS' reputation as a DB coach. His last two 5 star CB's went in the 1st round of the draft.
Because players are here for 3-5 years. A top pick may not want to sit for 1-2 years and watch others get the accolades...Landon Collins is a rarity imho. Other schools have 1st round draft choices from their db's as well.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't understand why there aren't top 5 DB's wanting to come play for CNS every year. We are have signed excellent safeties, but considering this year was a patchwork (revolving door) at CB and the fact that we've had to use JUCO CB's over the last 3 years (Belue and Menzie - not to mention Travall Dixon, who was here for a spring) I don't get why top flight CB's aren't coming here every year. Dee Miliner in the 2010 class was the last 5 star stud CB we have got. Its just puzzling to me considering that CNS' reputation as a DB coach. His last two 5 star CB's went in the 1st round of the draft.
Something I immediately think of is location since many recruits tend to stay close to home. Looking back at Rival's Top CBs, let's see if that tends to be true...

Lamarcus Joyner, Ft. Lauderdale, FL -- Florida State
Dee Milliner, Millbrook, AL -- Alabama
Joshua Shaw, Palmdale, CA -- Florida
Jaylen Watkins, Cape Coral, FL -- Florida
John Fulton, Manning, SC -- Alabama

Malcolm Mitchell, Valdosta, GA -- Georgia
Marcus Roberson, Ft. Lauderdale, FL -- Florida
Damian Swann, Atlanta, GA -- Georgia
Quandre Diggs, Angleton, TX -- Texas
Demetrious Nicholson, Virginia Beach, VA -- Virginia

Tracy Howard, Miramar, FL -- Miami
Ronald Darby, Oxon Hill, MD -- Florida State
DeVante Harris, Mesquite, TX -- Texas A&M
Tee Shepard, Fresno, CA -- Notre Dame
Brian Boole, Bradenton, FL -- Florida

Vernon Hargreaves, Tampa, FL -- Florida
Kendall Fuller, Olney, MD -- Va Tech
Jalen Ramsey, Nashville, TN -- Florida State
Tre'Davious White, Shreveport, LA - LSU
Chris Hawkins, Rancho Cucamonga, CA -- USC

Of the 20 listed, six recruits went out of state. Of those six, Fuller went to Va Tech to play with his brother; Tee Shepard went to Notre Dame.

Joshua Shaw was the most noticeable by going from California to Florida.

30% is higher than I expected, but I still stand by the thought - players tend to stay closer to home.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I think the staff knew Bessent and Jonathan were flipping at some point because they either didn't visit Bama (KB) or visited the barn about 5-6 times more often than Bama. I think Hootie was a bit of shock, but Bone wrote that the staff wasn't too surprised because of how Hootie acted after he committed (a bit unsure or uneasy; like he may have committed too early). It's tough to blame a kid when they reconsider because it's a 3 year commitment at a minimum, unless they transfer and trasferring usually puts a kid in a tough spot at a new school (limited eligibility so staff may play younger player if similar ability to get the young guy developed, learning a new system, new routines for school and football time commitments, etc.)

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Marlon Humphrey is our #1 DB target on the board right?

Yes. Our board and about 10 other schools' boards. I'll feel a lot better if/when he commits to Bama.
Maybe the fact we pulled 4 DB's last class (including Averett) makes them think about the depth. The thing about DB is that you rarely sub out. DL sub out quite often. Even LB's can have roles and sub out often. CB's and Safeties rarely sub out. So, you either win a position or you sit for most of the year. Nickel and dime backs will play about 1/3 of the plays. So, I think depth is a larger factor for DB's than other positions.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA
When you look at Saban's track record of turning out 1st round draft picks at DB it amazes me they are not all lined up the door to see who gets the offer. But for whatever reason it doesn't work out that way. I do think Saban's workman like approach to the game puts some kids off. but it's that very attitude they need to develope to become a great player.
Don't mean to seem flippant but what Coach Saban has been doing, in recruiting, has worked out great the last several years. There comes a time when a wealth of talent/depth at each position (#1 recruiting classes) can cause concerns for EPT (for some) but the kids with the maturity to look at the big picture are going to keep coming.
Bama still has waaaaaay to many elite recruits interested to be sweating some getting cold feet.......their loss. This will be among the very best classes in recruiting history.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Don't mean to seem flippant but what Coach Saban has been doing, in recruiting, has worked out great the last several years. There comes a time when a wealth of talent/depth at each position (#1 recruiting classes) can cause concerns for EPT (for some) but the kids with the maturity to look at the big picture are going to keep coming.
Bama still has waaaaaay to many elite recruits interested to be sweating some getting cold feet.......their loss. This will be among the very best classes in recruiting history.
I can't totally agree with this when talking about the CB position. We have not had a continuity at the spot in a while. We have had at least 1 first time starting CB every year since 2010. 2 of those guys were JUCO guys that came in immediately that luckily were solid for us. The downside to that is that they are only here 2 years, and you are constantly starting over. The biggest difference between the 2011 and 2012/2013 defenses was CB play. In 2011, we Kirkpatrick who started in 2010, and Milliner who played a lot in 2010 as a true freshman. Menzie played the star postion, so his role was an easier transition than coming in being called on to be a starting CB in his first year in the system like Belue had to do last year.

Hopefully with Belue leaving, we can get Cy Jones, Sylve, Jackson, and Jarrick to step up since they did get some experience this year. Marlon Humphrey may have a chance to contribute a lot in year one as well. If that happens, we can starting building a corps of CB's that will be around a while, and maybe just have to replace one of the starters in most years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.