Question: Is anyone else surprised with the recent secondary decommits?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't blame guys for opening up their recruiting. They're making a huge commitment to their future academically and potentially professionally. Still, given our struggles in the secondary this year I am quite surprised with the number of DB defections in this upcoming class. I figured some of these guys would be licking their chops to get to Tuscaloosa and compete for a position.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I agree should be wide open competition especially at corner. I would be lying if I said I am not concerned about our dbs right now. I hope we can pull a couple of the big names in this class.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not worried about that... That just mean next year class will have a huge shot at getting playing time. we have some redshirt folks ready to step in.. we may not have depth, but who knows.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
You heard it here first. Before the 2014 season is over our defensive backfield will be one of our strongest positions.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
You heard it here first. Before the 2014 season is over our defensive backfield will be one of our strongest positions.
I believe you. Some fans are forgetting about the talent in T town at this moment. Everett, Smith, Cook and of course Jackson, Geno Smith, Sylve. Saban will get them ready to go in spring. Patience ....regarding these de commits, it happens and our staff will replace them with adequate young men who will fill our needs. I essentially stop worrying or stressing over recruiting since CNS arrive. He gets paid a little bit more than me to be concern. Lol!!!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Hootie was the only surprise decommitt. The others were expected. We'll see what happens with Hootie. CJ appears to be on the verge of committing to Bama. Then, we have Marlon and possibly Taber.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
There may be reasons they are decommitting that aren't being told. I know nothing but could the possibility be that they have been told that if so and so commits we won't have a spot for you, so they are shopping? Again, I now nothing, don't even know if that type of thing goes on.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I don't understand why there aren't top 5 DB's wanting to come play for CNS every year. We are have signed excellent safeties, but considering this year was a patchwork (revolving door) at CB and the fact that we've had to use JUCO CB's over the last 3 years (Belue and Menzie - not to mention Travall Dixon, who was here for a spring) I don't get why top flight CB's aren't coming here every year. Dee Miliner in the 2010 class was the last 5 star stud CB we have got. Its just puzzling to me considering that CNS' reputation as a DB coach. His last two 5 star CB's went in the 1st round of the draft.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That's saying something because - assuming Pagan returns - our DL should be the deepest and most talented it has been in years.

Allen, Ivory, Lake, Pagan, Robinson, Tomlinson already on campus with Pettway coming in after an 8-month hiatus. Hand is probably a year-one contributor as the #1 overall DE.

I don't understand why there aren't top 5 DB's wanting to come play for CNS every year. We are have signed excellent safeties, but considering this year was a patchwork (revolving door) at CB and the fact that we've had to use JUCO CB's over the last 3 years (Belue and Menzie - not to mention Travall Dixon, who was here for a spring) I don't get why top flight CB's aren't coming here every year. Dee Miliner in the 2010 class was the last 5 star stud CB we have got. Its just puzzling to me considering that CNS' reputation as a DB coach. His last two 5 star CB's went in the 1st round of the draft.
I've wondered this myself. Of course, we've signed some quality 4-star corners who should be SEC quality players with 1st round ceilings too.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012
I was wondering the same thing, Bama has had a player win individual awards for every position with the exception of TE, WR and the Secondary.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Lets look at the type attitudes top flight CB's are. They are usually VERY high strung, brash, emotional. Saban doesn't play to this and tell em how great they are when he recruits. He tells em the truth, and that's that they are very athletic, but got a lot to work on in order to get better. Some of these kids don't like it when they are told they aren't as good as they think they are.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
When you look at Saban's track record of turning out 1st round draft picks at DB it amazes me they are not all lined up the door to see who gets the offer. But for whatever reason it doesn't work out that way. I do think Saban's workman like approach to the game puts some kids off. but it's that very attitude they need to develope to become a great player.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
i think hootie was the big surprise. he was one of those cant miss recruits that we need now. however, with the volume of dbs needed in coaches defense, there is probably some confusion of opportunity to play. this year, it seemed the whole season with injuries, suspensions, bama was never settled in the secondary, and it showed against the option and better qbs. i think when there is a possibility of turning a hamption a projected safety, maybe hootie felt unwanted and threatened to a degree. i am sure hootie has a lot of pressure at lsu to reconsider, and probably guaranteed a starting job. i think he is doing the right thing, and looling at all programs he is interested in before signing day. i hope he stays in the long run. he is a big strong safety which we need more than ever.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Some have discussed this topic before. Because like you said, it doesn't make all that much sense. I went to Rivals and checked the rankings of players that have played CB or S at Alabama since 2010.

Cornerback
#2 DeMarcus Milliner
#5 John Fulton
#82 Deion Belue (academics caused the low grade, which also led to him going JUCO)
4* JUCO DQ Menzie

Safety
#5 Jarrick Williams
#25 Nick Perry

Cornerback
None. Malcolm Mitchell was seen as a Bama lean but signed with UGA.

Wide Receiver
#14 Bradley Sylve

Athlete
#20 Jabriel Washington

Safety
#1 HaHa Clinton-Dix

Cornerback
#8 Geno Smith

Athlete
#1 Eddie Williams (thought to play S or WR by scouts)
#6 Cyrus Jones

Safety
#2 Landon Collins

Cornerback
#12 Maurice Smith
#37 Jonathan Cook

Wide Receiver
#48 Eddie Jackson

Bama hasn't consistently gotten top rated CBs like it has other positions, but Saban has groomed several guys into solid contributors.

That's saying something because - assuming Pagan returns - our DL should be the deepest and most talented it has been in years.

Allen, Ivory, Lake, Pagan, Robinson, Tomlinson already on campus with Pettway coming in after an 8-month hiatus. Hand is probably a year-one contributor as the #1 overall DE.
Don't forget Blake Ball and Korren Kirven, too.

I wonder if Ole Mi$$ might have got to him. Like the way they got to a lot of the top kids late last year???
Not sure if you're joking or not, but I saw a recruiting analyst respond to a question on twtter about Hootie by saying Ole Miss may be the place.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
My take is that certain players respond better to different coaching philosophies. Coach is a hard nosed disciplinarian. I know that it takes a special player to play defensive back, almost cocky with confidence. It could be that a lot of these elite DB personalities are looking for more of a laid back staff and figure they will get to the league anyway. I can see that having Coach Saban as your position coach might be a bit intimidating.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.