Next year's schedule sets up nicely.

tftplisa

1st Team
Jul 11, 2003
North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA
I was thinking about the possible growing pains transitioning to Del Rio or whomever wins the job and looked ahead to see how early we'd be tested.
This definitely gives us time to have competition or play Sims/QB to be named later and get our feet under us.
1. West Virginia- can win easily with not much threat of a pass
2. Florida Atlantic-see above
3. Southern Miss- pathetic after Ellis Johnson ruined them
4. Florida- I doubt they recover too quickly but Auburn showed miracles can happen
5. Ole Miss- I think this is our first test away from home but by now hopefully we have found a QB and he has some confidence.
6. Arkansas- shouldn't be much of a problem
7. aTm- No Manziel or Evans....I like our chances
8. Tennessee- no threat yet.
9. LSU- at Baton Rouge. This is our toughest game to date. No Mettenberger will help.
10. Miss State- can be tough after LSU.
11. Western Carolina- no comment
12. Auburn- This will be Saban's payback game. We should have beaten them by 2 TDs easily. Saban will make adjustments and I can guarantee you we won't see a 3 man front like Miizzou used against them.
It'll be another great year. I hope we leave New Orleans and the Sugar Bowl with good momentum.

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
According to Colin Cowherd, the barn beats us again next year.:rolleyes:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/12/colin_cowherd_has_message_for.html
I think Colin is right. Saban's defense is designed to stop a traditional style offense. It shouldn't be a secret anymore that spread teams with mobile quarterbacks have given Saban's defenses the most headaches and have put up the most points against his defense. They have nullified Saban's substitution packages and what once was a very complex defense is now not that complex at all.

I think the ball is now in Saban's court to adjust. Because Malzahn started off his career as a defensive coordinator and knows both sides of the ball quite well. He has found a way to run the ball 90% of the time and put up 300+ rushing yards on anybody in a conference where being one dimensional normally gets you a prize at the bottom of the conference. I subjected myself to watching the Iron Bowl again and there's no denying. Auburn's offense dominated our defense.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
i agree. the option teams, and especially ones with talented qbs, rbs, are dangerous and hurt our 3, 4, 4 defensive alignment. what to me was the biggest problem was not as much our def line, but, lack of support from the secondary other than collins. we just currently have physical corners to support the run. all season this has been tested. losing sunseri, was a bigger loss than expected by us, the fans. we are use to our def backs coming up and helping plug the gaps. no such thing against auburn. i also think a 5 man line would be effective than any three man line. string the option out to the end zone. i remember, very well the day when my redskins coached by george allen was playing the green bay packers for the nfl title. scott hunter was the qb, and he was knowned for not being a typical nfl passing qb, they had a great rushing attack and decent short passes. that day the skins put up a 5 man rush, and it destroyed the packers, and the redskins won easily.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Anyone know how many starters Auburn and LSU return next year?

Florida's defense is going to be great, as usual. By week 4, you will need to have your o-line playing together or this could be a very tough game.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

Florida's defense is going to be great, as usual. By week 4, you will need to have your o-line playing together or this could be a very tough game.
Not sure about LSU, but read yesterday that Auburn could well have all 11 starters back on offense.

But I defer to others who have a closer pulse on what's going on over there...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

Yeah, but with their offensive exodus, we'll only need a safety to win.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The key to beating an Auburn/A&M type team is offense, not defense. Until rules are changed, that kind of offense will always have an advantage over the defense. So, you've got to have a good offense that is aggressive.

Against A&M last year and Auburn this year, how many points did we leave on the field? A&M and Auburn's defenses have always had major weaknesses and we failed to capitalize both times. Both times, our offense was capable of doing enough to win the game and instead they botched scoring opportunities and put the defense back on the field having lost momentum.

While I agree CNS will have to tweak his approach on defense against these teams, I believe it will be far more critical that he adjust his approach on offense.

afadam07

1st Team
Aug 21, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I was thinking about the possible growing pains transitioning to Del Rio or whomever wins the job and looked ahead to see how early we'd be tested.
This definitely gives us time to have competition or play Sims/QB to be named later and get our feet under us.
1. West Virginia- can win easily with not much threat of a pass
2. Florida Atlantic-see above
3. Southern Miss- pathetic after Ellis Johnson ruined them
4. Florida- I doubt they recover too quickly but Auburn showed miracles can happen
5. Ole Miss- I think this is our first test away from home but by now hopefully we have found a QB and he has some confidence.
6. Arkansas- shouldn't be much of a problem
7. aTm- No Manziel or Evans....I like our chances
8. Tennessee- no threat yet.
9. LSU- at Baton Rouge. This is our toughest game to date. No Mettenberger will help.
10. Miss State- can be tough after LSU.
11. Western Carolina- no comment
12. Auburn- This will be Saban's payback game. We should have beaten them by 2 TDs easily. Saban will make adjustments and I can guarantee you we won't see a 3 man front like Miizzou used against them.
It'll be another great year. I hope we leave New Orleans and the Sugar Bowl with good momentum.
I don't know about number 4, It isn't like they don't have talent. This year their team was on IR list the whole season.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
1. West Virginia-Close early with a new QB, but we pull away after the half. (1-0)

2. Florida Atlantic-Simple here. (2-0)

3. Southern Miss-This is not the USM of past. (3-0)

4. Florida-Just a bad team with a mass exodus. Could be close though with our new QB still finding a groove in his first SEC game. (4-0)

5. Ole Miss-This could be our first problem. The defense will have to keep us in it, another shut out and we have no issues. My Crimson glasses tell me this should be a win, but reality says a toss up until we actually see how each team plays.

6. Arkansas-Beliema (sp?) is still a few years away. This at least gives us win #5. (5-0, 2-0) *without OM game

7. aTm-I agree no Evans and JF means easy win even with their fast offense. The kid behind JF is NOT a gamer like him. (6-0, 3-0)

8. Tennessee-They could be tough early on as the new recruits could make some noise, but no way they hang yet. Still a few years away like Arkansas. (7-0, 4-0)

9. LSU-At Baton Rouge, a QB situation that could be tricky and that spells trouble. Luckily though they are breaking in a new QB as well. I still call it a toss up just to be on the safe side.

10. Miss State-It's well known we play horrible after LSU. If Dak Prescott is healthy throughout the year I actually think this could be a sneaky team. I still think our depth might be too much though. (8-0, 5-0)

11. Western Carolina-Should I even type here? (9-0)

12. Auburn-To me as much as I hate to say it will be a tough game yet again. They probably return a good bit, but I'm almost certain Tre Mason goes pro while he is hot. If not, he is crazy. I call another toss up.

So I have us at 9 wins at WORST, maybe even 8. But there is NO WAY we go 0-3 in the toss up games. At worst I see us going 2-1 in the toss up games, so to be on the safe side we are at least 10-2 to 11-1 again. Not bad considering we are breaking in a new QB and probably new linemen as well.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
According to Colin Cowherd, the barn beats us again next year.:rolleyes:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/12/colin_cowherd_has_message_for.html
Cowherd is a blowhard. He fails to mention that if not for missed field goals, one missed assignment and a dropped Cooper TD, Auburn would not have even been close to Alabama in the Iron Bowl. But they win on a play that has only occurred 4 times in the history of college football and suddenly Alabama is destined to lose frequently to Auburn in the coming years.

Give me a break.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not sure about LSU, but read yesterday that Auburn could well have all 11 starters back on offense.
Yep. Tre Mason and Greg Robinson are the only two offensive starts being mentioned as possible early departures.

LSU loses Mett obviously. Jeremy Hill is most likely gone to the NFL. OD3 and Landry are gone, too.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If Auburn wins a championship, look for more to leave early. Face it, not a whole lot of guys are there because it was their first choice to begin with, if they play well in a championship game, and win a championship, it would be a good time to get out of town. Auburn took a big fall last time after their championship, and there's no way to insure that it doesn't happen again.

As far as their offense, it's not magic. They rely on missed tackles, and the defenders being out of position. I don't see how their offense, which relies on misdirection and the like, can be as effective next year. Even Texas A&M, which had a fairly sound offensive attack, and a lot of reasons to need to do more this year (no defense), averaged less points than last year. I think Auburn will be good next year, they're returning too many players not to, but I do expect teams to do a better job of figuring them out.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The Barn's offense is getting away with uncalled penalties. Specifically, on the play that tied the game, the left side of the offensive line was 5 yards down field when the ball was thrown. That should be the key for our DB's to release coverage and come up in run support. The play was not flagged. There is no defense that can stop this "triple option" if the refs don't flag for and illegal man down field.

I suspect this will be pointed out before the NC game and I expect the boogs to get their hats handed to them.

As far as next year, the only way the barn game is close is if we are deficient at the QB position. With as much talent as we have recruited at QB, surely someone will develop between now and then.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Auburn will not sneak up on anyone next year. They will START the year with pressure. They had a free ride until they beat aTm because nobody considered them a threat. The pressure playing us completely different. It is nearly impossible to go wire-to-wire at number one, and while they may not start at one, they'll be in the top ten.

If I'm not mistaken, only 1999 FSU has started the year at one and gone unbeaten since 1950. Look at how poorly K-State and Oregon played last year once they were 1 and 2. I told folks aTm would lose four games this year and folks laughed because one look at the schedule showed only two real tests.

They lost four. Auburn will lose at least 3 games next year based on the pressure. As far as Colin, he don't believe that. He was competing with Slimebaum to stir the crap.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
The Barn's offense is getting away with uncalled penalties. Specifically, on the play that tied the game, the left side of the offensive line was 5 yards down field when the ball was thrown. That should be the key for our DB's to release coverage and come up in run support. The play was not flagged. There is no defense that can stop this "triple option" if the refs don't flag for and illegal man down field.
Don't know if this was mentioned in the IP postmortem, but CNS brought this up in his post game remarks. He said plays like that are almost impossible to defend against, and it is something that needs to be addressed.

Gus isn't a genius, unless by genius you mean someone that takes advantage of refs being out of position, and not able to keep pace with the speed of the game.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think that is why a lot of teams run HUNH, the refs are so concerned with getting the ball spotted, the chains moved, etc. that they miss a ton of calls because of it. You can almost count on two hands how many are missed in a barn and/or oregon game alone.

And on Cowherd, he just got done playing Phyllis from Mulga on ESPN. That is the ONLY reason he went on Finebum, to try and take a shot at Bama and get folks riled up so he can make us Southerners look bad.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think that is why a lot of teams run HUNH, the refs are so concerned with getting the ball spotted, the chains moved, etc. that they miss a ton of calls because of it. You can almost count on two hands how many are missed in a barn and/or oregon game alone.

And on Cowherd, he just got done playing Phyllis from Mulga on ESPN. That is the ONLY reason he went on Finebum, to try and take a shot at Bama and get folks riled up so he can make us Southerners look bad.
He also basically said that Malzahn is the beginning of the end for Nick Saban's success. Did you hear that? He went onto to say that Auburn will win back to back titles and Bama's dominance is over.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.