Next year's schedule sets up nicely.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Auburn won't sneak up on anybody next season, and the tricks, gimmicks and speed of the HUNH will be figured out by the rest of the SEC DCs long before the IB comes back to Tuscaloosa.

And what if they lose a player, especially Marshall? I hate to see a player get injured, but injuries do happen. If Marshall misses even a half Auburn is toast against any of their real opponents.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He also basically said that Malzahn is the beginning of the end for Nick Saban's success. Did you hear that? He went onto to say that Auburn will win back to back titles and Bama's dominance is over.
He's really not as smart as he likes to think he is. Auburn beat Georgia and Alabama on absolute miracle plays. They will be wonderful memories for the Auburn fan base, but that is nothing to build a future on.

Gus better pay attention to that defense or it will bite him badly in the future.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Cowherd is a blowhard. He fails to mention that if not for missed field goals, one missed assignment and a dropped Cooper TD, Auburn would not have even been close to Alabama in the Iron Bowl. But they win on a play that has only occurred 4 times in the history of college football and suddenly Alabama is destined to lose frequently to Auburn in the coming years.

Give me a break.
With a name like Cowherd you would expect him to pull for the Cow college. He is just trying to cause controversy to improve his ratings. Personally, I could care less about what he thinks. I would rather listen to static then listen to him or Jim Rome. I think our defense will be better next year. The first couple of games will give the new QB and offense the time to improve. I am excited about next year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think our 2014 schedule should end up being much tougher than the last few seasons.

West Virginia could give us some first game problems but I feel like Yeldon and the backs should run wild on them. We really have no clue on where Florida, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Tennessee will be in 2014. I assume they'll improve but the question is how much. TAMU depends a lot on early departure decisions. LSU is an enigma but I think it comes down to the new QB...they'll give us a tough game though. MSU could be a pretty decent team next year. Auburn could very well be a defending national champion with most of their team returning.

Bamaruf

Sep 15, 2010
Chapel Hill,NC
Thank you for mentioning this. Should have scored in the 40's on em. Responding to the offense instead of defense against the Barn.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
While he has never liked Alabama, he CC has generally admitted that Alabama/Saban = the best in college football right now. Then came the Auburn game, which has him convinced that struggles with aTm and Auburn now mean that Saban's needs to make adjustments, and they just don't see him doing so. To a point, they are correct. A 3/4 defense with a big/slow NT in the middle can be a liability against this type of defense, but is still a key figure in Saban's defensive philosophy. I am pretty sure that aTm was Manziel, not the offense - and I know that Saban can stop Auburn with your defensive philosophy, so I'll just say that I disagree with CC and move on.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Not sure about LSU, but read yesterday that Auburn could well have all 11 starters back on offense.

But I defer to others who have a closer pulse on what's going on over there...
I thought Uzuma and Dispukes were seniors..........:cool2:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think Colin is right. Saban's defense is designed to stop a traditional style offense. It shouldn't be a secret anymore that spread teams with mobile quarterbacks have given Saban's defenses the most headaches and have put up the most points against his defense. They have nullified Saban's substitution packages and what once was a very complex defense is now not that complex at all.

I think the ball is now in Saban's court to adjust. Because Malzahn started off his career as a defensive coordinator and knows both sides of the ball quite well. He has found a way to run the ball 90% of the time and put up 300+ rushing yards on anybody in a conference where being one dimensional normally gets you a prize at the bottom of the conference. I subjected myself to watching the Iron Bowl again and there's no denying. Auburn's offense dominated our defense.
It's simple to stop offenses like Auburn's. Not easy, but simple. It requires penetration from the D-Line to disrupt the play before it has a chance to develop, just like defending the Wishbone. Stop it before it starts.
The best team against offenses like this has lately proven to be Stanford. The last two games against Oregon their D-Linemen have lived in the Duck backfield and they have pretty much shut down that vaunted offense.
They attack rather than "read". We tend to catch the blocks, hold our zone and try to react after we know where the ball's going. By then it's too late.
Therefore we need to change that philosophy against hurry up option teams.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's simple to stop offenses like Auburn's. Not easy, but simple. It requires penetration from the D-Line to disrupt the play before it has a chance to develop, just like defending the Wishbone. Stop it before it starts.
The best team against offenses like this has lately proven to be Stanford. The last two games against Oregon their D-Linemen have lived in the Duck backfield and they have pretty much shut down that vaunted offense.
They attack rather than "read". We tend to catch the blocks, hold our zone and try to react after we know where the ball's going. By then it's too late.
Therefore we need to change that philosophy against hurry up option teams.
Oh I agree. The problem is Saban's defensive scheme doesn't penetrate the backfield by design. So any penetration we get most likely has to come from LB's or blitzing safety which opens up holes on the back end. That's why I've stated that I hope Saban turns our DL loose and allows then to push up field and shoot gaps more. If not I'm afraid we're going to see more 300 yard rushing games when we play Auburn.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Each year I think that this will be the year that Bama will kick *** and take names in EVERY game leaving no doubt as to which is the best team. Is this the year?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
LSU loses Mett obviously. Jeremy Hill is most likely gone to the NFL. OD3 and Landry are gone, too.
LSU is going to lose a tremendous amount of their offensive attack. Hill, Beckham, and Landry are all leaving early for the NFL, and La'el Collins might as well. Ego Ferguson and Anthony Johnson are also expected to take looks, though most think they will return.

In any event, it's pretty clear that their defense is going to have to really lead that team next year and break through to the next level. If that doesn't happen, they'll be non-contenders again and headed back to some place like the Peach Bowl.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
This season's schedule set up pretty nicely as well and left Bama as SEC West co-Champs with the other co-champ playing for the National Championship. It just shows how difficult it is to go through the SEC undefeated and there will always be tough games, especially on the road.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
He also basically said that Malzahn is the beginning of the end for Nick Saban's success. Did you hear that? He went onto to say that Auburn will win back to back titles and Bama's dominance is over.
I heard bits and pieces as I was taking my son to the doctor when the interview was airing. But even then I realized the moron was just there to stir up our "fanbase" as they said all day yesterday on SportsCenter to push his stupid book and of course to try and make us look like toothless rednecks in which Finebaum helped him do.

Now everyone that watches ESPN expects us have 3 teeth (if we're lucky), married to our brother/sister, and threaten to kill any person or tree that threatens our dynasty. Phyllis from Mulga proceeded to do all of that in one short call.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Oh I agree. The problem is Saban's defensive scheme doesn't penetrate the backfield by design. So any penetration we get most likely has to come from LB's or blitzing safety which opens up holes on the back end. That's why I've stated that I hope Saban turns our DL loose and allows then to push up field and shoot gaps more. If not I'm afraid we're going to see more 300 yard rushing games when we play Auburn.
Agreed. We have talent. Time to turn them loose and let them use it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.