Question: Will Saban have a redefining moment like Coach Bryant did with the wishbone?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
As anyone who has been around college football knows the game changes....new schemes are nothing new. If a coach doesn't make certain changes he can be left behind (I'm sure certain coaches come to mind). It appears to me that coach Saban is investigating such changes. If he makes changes what do you think they will be?

***Remember, this is a discussion thread and is not intended in any way to disparage our coaching staff***

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Re: Will Saban have a redefining moment like Bear did with the wishbone?

I think Saban is one more for incremental changes. Every season he evaluates how everything went and makes adjustments but you can't just take a bunch of guys recruited for one style and switch them to the other and expect it to work. The changes need to be made over time. For instance I can see from the last few years of recruiting we have been looking for slightly smaller and faster defensive lineman.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland

I think Saban is one more for incremental changes. Every season he evaluates how everything went and makes adjustments but you can't just take a bunch of guys recruited for one style and switch them to the other and expect it to work. The changes need to be made over time. For instance I can see from the last few years of recruiting we have been looking for slightly smaller and faster defensive lineman.
I assume there's some sort of rostor restriction/limitation that prevents a flexibility through depth approach?

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS

Well, it's apparent - D. Henry, TJ Yeldon, K. Drake, w/B. Sims at QB - gonna go to the wishbone! (j/k)

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama

I would be surprised that he is not evaluating ways to better defend the Auburn attack. I am not surprised he is asking outside resources to discuss different techniques. Just surprised it was offense (Kiffin). Perhaps, he does not think there is anyone in the world that is any better than himself on defense........

Dakotatider

1st Team
Sep 20, 2005

To the more seasoned football X's and O's people. This is most likely what you would fine.

-Defensive calls and procedures will be streamlined. to support more faster offenses.
-Wrinkles in Offense and Defense (such as what we saw with the TE split out wide) to bring much more problems for the opponents.

Would you agree?

Dakotatider

1st Team
Sep 20, 2005

@ Bamamoss2I would ask Stanford's Defensive Staff. they have been eating Oregons lunch every year.1

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I assume there's some sort of rostor restriction/limitation that prevents a flexibility through depth approach?
Yes, the NCAA only allows a maximum of 85 scholarship players. Prior to 1977 or 1978 there were no limitations except for conference limitations. This change was designed to sort of "level the playing field" between the haves and the have nots.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Yes, the NCAA only allows a maximum of 85 scholarship players. Prior to 1977 or 1978 there were no limitations except for conference limitations. This change was designed to sort of "level the playing field" between the haves and the have nots.
In addition, the limits started at 105, imagine that, 20 more full scholarship players, and less games! They didn't go 85 until the mid-90s.

They really are pushing the 85 to their limit now, especially when you take injuries and redshirts into account. In 1977, Alabama played 12 games. It's hypothetically possible that Alabama play 15 games next year. I get it, there are programs out there that won't play 15 games, ever. Heck, they won't even play 13 games, but why try to lower Alabama to their level?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

@ Bamamoss2I would ask Stanford's Defensive Staff. they have been eating Oregons lunch every year.1
The biggest difference between Oregon's offense and Auburn's offense is the play at the LOS. Auburn's plays are predicated on confusion AND dominant play at the LOS. Oregon doesn't even pretend to dominate the LOS. They rely on confusion and speed. They were blown off the ball against Stanford because of this, which blew up plays in the backfield. Much harder to do to Auburn.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Remember - you held Auburn to 21 points until the Jones made the poor decision with 32 seconds left in the game. Your defense did just fine. It was your special teams that was a problem in that game. If you played them 10 times, you would win 8. I think that the Auburn game next year will be determined by YOUR offense, not theirs.

Can you get it going again with AJ gone, and all 5 O-Linemen from last year's team playing on Sundays? If so, you will make the 4 team playoff. Because your defense is going to be great - again.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I do think people are over-reacting to the Auburn game. They forget that Alabama out-gained them by 100 yards, and honestly didn't tackle very well. Auburn's offense is stoppable, but beating them requires good execution. Missed tackles, missed kicks, you don't beat many good teams playing that way.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA

Alabama's defense is almost perfect...for maybe 6-8 seconds. After that...a mobile QB and athletic skill players can pick it apart. Auburn's TD they scored to tie the game there near the end...was essentially a play breaking down and our defense getting out of position because of how long the play lasted. It's the reason for almost every single point A&M has scored on us the past two years. The key to stopping teams like Auburn right now is to make sure plays don't get strung out too long...which is easier said than done.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com

Remember - you held Auburn to 21 points until the Jones made the poor decision with 32 seconds left in the game. Your defense did just fine. It was your special teams that was a problem in that game. If you played them 10 times, you would win 8. I think that the Auburn game next year will be determined by YOUR offense, not theirs.

Can you get it going again with AJ gone, and all 5 O-Linemen from last year's team playing on Sundays? If so, you will make the 4 team playoff. Because your defense is going to be great - again.

That wasnt a poor decision. He was keying on the linemen that were blocking downfield. Should have been a penalty.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

Coach may pull in some NFL coaches after their season. The Ravens and many others last year showed how you stop the zone read option with the 49ers. It can be done, we just need to find the scheme to do it.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

It’s not the X’s and O’s, it’s the Jimmys and the Joes. Auburn did not out scheme us. Their players played better than ours did on that given Saturday. I expect coach to work 'em between the ears as well as strength and conditioning so this does not happen again.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO

No.

6-5-1, 6-5, 8-3, 8-2-1
11-1(1 game left), 13-1 (nc), 12-1 (nc), 10-3

=Apples and oranges.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Will Saban have a redefining moment like Bear did with the wishbone?

No.

6-5-1, 6-5, 8-3, 8-2-1
11-1(1 game left), 13-1 (nc), 12-1 (nc), 10-3

=Apples and oranges.
Yep. There's no reason for a drastic shakeup or schematic overhaul like Coach Bryant's going to the wishbone. One loss seasons, no matter how traumatic the one loss is, shouldn't lead to big changes in what we do. The program is very successful now, historically so.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL

In addition, the limits started at 105, imagine that, 20 more full scholarship players, and less games! They didn't go 85 until the mid-90s.

They really are pushing the 85 to their limit now, especially when you take injuries and redshirts into account. In 1977, Alabama played 12 games. It's hypothetically possible that Alabama play 15 games next year. I get it, there are programs out there that won't play 15 games, ever. Heck, they won't even play 13 games, but why try to lower Alabama to their level?
I really don't understand why the NCAA can't increase the scholly limit. It would allow these teams that are the bellcows to produce a better product for television (via more depth and better play without injuries affecting them as much), and give more kids a chance at a University degree that may not have ordinarily had one.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Coach may pull in some NFL coaches after their season. The Ravens and many others last year showed how you stop the zone read option with the 49ers. It can be done, we just need to find the scheme to do it.
What's crazy/strange about that is how CNS said this summer NFL coaches came to him to see how to stop it.

I really don't understand why the NCAA can't increase the scholly limit. It would allow these teams that are the bellcows to produce a better product for television (via more depth and better play without injuries affecting them as much), and give more kids a chance at a University degree that may not have ordinarily had one.
Title IX says "hi."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.