A Common Refrain Among The Doubters: "With McCarron Gone...."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I first ran into this among some Auburn (un)faithful who began demonstrating the selective amnesia typical of those who work around animals a lot. (Auburn fans are a lot like a fight with your spouse - out of one side of their mouth they say the past doesn't matter and then out of the other side they're bringing up something out of the past to make a point). They put out carefully parsed information like this:

"Nick Saban has never won a national title at Alabama without McCarron on the roster."

Ok, true, but it's also irrelevant. I could just as easily play this game and with greater effect:

"The last time Alabama went an entire season without AJ McCarron, they went undefeated and won the national championship."

As long as it was just in Tweeter-ville, who cared? But now it seems Colin Cowpuke has decided to jump on the Auburn bandwagon. I saw him again today make a comment about McCarron being gone.

Look, I like AJ and yes, we'll have some problems but - so what? These folks are making it sound like McCarron is the entire team. And maybe they need to go back and remember that we got INTO the LSU game in 2009 before McElroy began playing really well, and AJ was a "game manager" (shrieks) but didn't really come into his own until after he blamed himself for the 2011 LSU loss. In fact, it wasn't really until the BCSNCG against LSU that AJ hit full steam.

We went unbeaten in the SEC regular season with the same JP Wilson who looked absolutely horrific in 2006 and 2007.

And did I mention that we just don't play a lot of close games?

2011: 1 (lost, 9-6, LSU)
2012: 3 (2-1, beat UGA and LSU, lost to aTm)
2013: 2 (1-1, beat aTm and lost to Auburn)

I mean, this is not 2008. We have enough in the arsenal that very rarely is the QB called upon to win the game himself.

Will we take a step back? Maybe.

But I learned a long time ago not to underestimate the talent pipeline at Alabama.

I suspect we have a gem nobody knows about other than the coaching staff.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I first ran into this among some Auburn (un)faithful who began demonstrating the selective amnesia typical of those who work around animals a lot. (Auburn fans are a lot like a fight with your spouse - out of one side of their mouth they say the past doesn't matter and then out of the other side they're bringing up something out of the past to make a point). They put out carefully parsed information like this:

"Nick Saban has never won a national title at Alabama without McCarron on the roster."

Ok, true, but it's also irrelevant. I could just as easily play this game and with greater effect:

"The last time Alabama went an entire season without AJ McCarron, they went undefeated and won the national championship."

As long as it was just in Tweeter-ville, who cared? But now it seems Colin Cowpuke has decided to jump on the Auburn bandwagon. I saw him again today make a comment about McCarron being gone.

Look, I like AJ and yes, we'll have some problems but - so what? These folks are making it sound like McCarron is the entire team. And maybe they need to go back and remember that we got INTO the LSU game in 2009 before McElroy began playing really well, and AJ was a "game manager" (shrieks) but didn't really come into his own until after he blamed himself for the 2011 LSU loss. In fact, it wasn't really until the BCSNCG against LSU that AJ hit full steam.

We went unbeaten in the SEC regular season with the same JP Wilson who looked absolutely horrific in 2006 and 2007.

And did I mention that we just don't play a lot of close games?

2011: 1 (lost, 9-6, LSU)
2012: 3 (2-1, beat UGA and LSU, lost to aTm)
2013: 2 (1-1, beat aTm and lost to Auburn)

I mean, this is not 2008. We have enough in the arsenal that very rarely is the QB called upon to win the game himself.

Will we take a step back? Maybe.

But I learned a long time ago not to underestimate the talent pipeline at Alabama.

I suspect we have a gem nobody knows about other than the coaching staff.
It's funny, because this is the exact opposite reason the same people used for saying he didn't deserve the Hypesman!

I'd ask Cowherd - is he an overrated game manager system QB, or isn't he?:conf2:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Colin Cowherd is like a crappy version of Paul Finebaum.

Does losing McCarron hurt us? Yes. Will our passing game be diminished some this year? Maybe.

But as Selma pointed out, McElroy and Wilson were not exactly world beaters and they both guided us to the SEC title game and a BCS bowl. I think we've got plenty of talent behind AJ. There will just be a bit of a learning curve. Same as there was in 2011 when AJ was handed the reigns.

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia
unlike the barn, we are a TEAM of players - not just one bought super star. as well nor do we depend on luck - the biggest thing I hate, other than we aren't playing for all the marbles, is I hate to see the SEC string broken because of dumb LUCK

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
In all the history of Alabama football we've only had maybe 3 QB's that could be considered elite talent in the modern era of football. Namath, Stabler and AJ. Namath and Stabler both were arguably more the focus or stars of the professional teams they played for and led to Super Bowls than they ever were at Alabama.

Throughout Alabama's long and storied history defense has always been the hallmark of great Alabama teams and Saban has continued that tradition. Basically about all we've ever needed out of the QB position is someone who doesn't make a lot of mistakes. In other words a game manager.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Cowherd said Malzahn was the beginning of the end of Nick Saban's dominance in the SEC. Also implied Malzahn will end up running Saban out of TTown.
OK...........always thought he was an idiot................opinion confirmed. What can you expect from a U$C sycophant?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I understand why people would be high on Auburn. They're hot right now and they are surprisingly young. I doubt Tre Mason returns because his stock is as high as it ever will be but they are incredibly deep at tailback.

I disagree with the logic that Malzahn is any more of annoyance to Saban's system than any other great SEC team though. Remember, Alabama had two separate opportunities to closeout the game but had a litany of self-inflicted errors to compromise their control over the game. Why did Alabama have those opportunities? Because Malzahn was overcoaching and outguessing himself as many smart Xs and Os bloggers have written about being Malzahn's critical flaw.

Alabama avoids an unnecessary hold and the storyline is about how Malzahn outwitted himself and cost Auburn the upset. Instead we have a field goal miss returned for 109 yards and Malzahn is a genius. And that game tying drive was perilously close to blowing up in his face as he was draining his own clock with run plays. Saban/Smart had a bracket on Coates anticipating the possibility they try to pass off the run action...HaHa doesn't stay on his read and assumes Marshall is past the LOS...bam TD. The way that drive was going...Auburn was probably going to run out the clock for us. Again, Malzahn handling high leverage situations poorly but getting bailed out by the correct defensive call being busted on the individual-on-the-field level.

I've said that Auburn has to be the SEC favorite next year because they return so much...but Alabama and LSU are only a QB away from being their equal. I imagine one of them will get that competent QB play and I hope it is us.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
If brains were flamethrowers, Cowherd couldn't burn his way out of a brown paper bag...
Love it! I use stuff like this with my freshmen all the time. I'm stealing this one!

Cowherd is a few fries short of a Happy Meal. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
We are going to have some growing pains at QB in 2014, no doubt. However, remember how we were absolutely mauling people with the run game in 2008 and 2009? Everyone else better get ready because I think we're about to get mean and nasty up front again. No more Mr. Nice Guy and 4th and 1 won't be a problem anymore.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I just don't know of a time where Alabama had to have 1 player carry the team all season.

we will miss AJ he's the Best I ever saw play at the capstone.

Unlike their $cam when he's gone they are done, you can say the same for Bo, Brown, Williams & you can go on & on.

It just sows ignorance & a lack of respect.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'll be the first person to give props to Malzhan for what he has accomplished this season but he did not "beat" saban. Alabama lost their focus and beat themselves. Auburn was in position to take advantage. If we played the game 5 more times we would probably win the next five but that's not how it works. You get one chance and you have to be ready to play your best. That's nothing new to Saban he's been doing this a long time.

As for AJ he will be hard to replace as is any successful senior quarterback but we will have a quarterback next season. Our offensive system doesn't rely on any one person. It just needs a good offensive line.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.