Question: Is it just me or is this the least interesting bowl season in memory? (except BCS)

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
about the same as other years IMO..I enjoy watching college football so much im gonig to enjoy the heck out of it starting today with wsu/col st.... then usc/fresno should be an interesting matchup with Carr competing against stiffer competition. He's projected as a 1st rounder right now. boise state/oregon st could be a fun game as well.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Not sure how many bowl games I'll be watching. I will be watching the Sugar Bowl (of course) and the Rose Bowl as it should be a good game between Mich State v. Stamford. Thank goodness I've got the BPL to watch -- Man City won again!

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
As told from old stodgy fogy approach.

ESPN, corporations and plain old capitalism killed the tradition of the bowl game name, and that was as relevant as the teams playing. Georgia's Peach Bowl had a history.

In similar fashion to the way our seat belt law evolved, the corporations placed their names before the traditional name and people thought it sounded tacky but understood....just keep the name. Then, imo, ESPN and some would not include the sponsor's name when mentioning the bowls, end result, Chick-fil a Bowl. Next would be to rename the teams after a sandwich? :)

After the historic bowl names were taken care off and they were all equalized, it was off to the races for ESPN. They now concoct bowls, simply find a corporation and a empty stadium, and Birmingham gets a Pizza Bowl, a little money for the economy, and zero prestige' and grassroots excitement for the event. It's all television.

So what we have left is remnants of a few quality mid range bowls left and a ESPN controlled BCS inc. I personally miss the parades and how each network put a lot of effort into capturing the spirit of each bowl. The real kicker is the double billing of the BCS title game, which makes the original bowl game feel like the warm up act. If the Cotton Bowl had not been under contract with FOX, we would have had a separate stadium for the championship each year, rotating between the Rose, Cotton, Fiesta, Orange and Sugar.

I actually miss the In dependance Bowl name, even if it did have weed wacker in front of it.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Prior to the BCS, a team ranked in the top 4-5 prior to the bowl games had a chance, albeit remote, if they beat higher ranked team could wind up winning the NC. Alabama won the 1965 AP NC when ranked 4th beat #3 Nebraska in the Orange Bowl after #1 Michigan State lost UCLA in the Rose Bowl and #2 Arkansas lost to LSU in the Cotton Bowl. It is unlikely to happen, but IMO the BCS killed the bowl games. Maybe the playoffs will re-energize the bowl games, but there is still little incentive if you aren't in the top 4.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Out of the 5 games so far, 2 of them have been close. ECU game today was close until late in the 4th qtr. You have to think the games will just get better. I don't think the games are bad this year. Let see what some of you think should be some good games given the rules and records in place.
Some people still don't seem to understand the BCS doesn't have anything to do with any bowl games except the national championship game. The rest of the BCS and other bowl games are chosen by the bowl sponsors. The conference tie-ins have always been there since before the BCS. The rules for the "BCS bowls" were not decided by the BCS. They were decided by the presidents and AD's of the schools.
I appreciate those who admit they had a bad attitude toward this postseason because of the IB. At least they can be honest.
There is an easy solution for those who don't like the bowl games...
Enjoy basketball season.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
The only reason I agree with you is because the Barn is playing for the championship. I have watched very little sports since the Iron Bowl. So yes I am a very sore loser.
We have two things in common I graduated MCHS. And the older I get the less I tend to forget. FSU by 21 to see that would rip the barns heart out.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The early bowl season has actually been pretty interesting. SDSU and USC absolutely destroyed their opponents, but the other games have been interesting games. Admittedly, I had ECU really high up in my confidence pick'em and I was pulling my hair out over how they were doing their best last-three-Alabama-losses impression. They were clearly the superior team but they found every way to blow a great drive through the first three quarters.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.