Is Coach Bryant an Unsurpassable Legend?

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
If you were to stop an Alabama fan in the street outside Bryant Denny stadium 50 or 100 years from now and ask him who the greatest Head Coach of Alabama Football ever was, will the answer always be Coach Bryant?

In 1956 the greatest manager my club has ever seen passed away, 12 years before my birth. Yet today if you were to ask any fan old enough to have an appreciation of our history who the greatest manager our club ever had was, the answer will always be the same, Mr. Struth.

Managers since have went onto to achieve successes that Mr. Struth did not, mainly because these successes were not available to him, some of the records he set have since been broken although some others probably never will be due to the changing nature of the sport. However I am 100% confident that in 50, 100 or even 200yrs from now if the question was asked of any fan on the street outside Ibrox the question will always be answered with "Mr. Struth".

The club was already Scotland's most prestigious and successful by the time Mr. Struth arrived, but the total domination of the sport in our country he oversaw transformed the club into the entity we know it to be now. Therefore no matter what any future manager achieves they will always fall in his shadow.

I am relatively new to Alabama football, but already I can't help but see the similarities in how Coach Bryant is viewed by you 'real' Bama fans and how my own view Mr. Struth.

Am I correct in my assumption that no matter what Nik Saban or any future Alabama HC achieves they can only dream of being the 2nd greatest coach in your history, even if they were to go on to win more National Titles? Was he the man who took an already successful college football football team and imprinted his on DNA onto it transforming it into the most successful and prestigious program in the sport?

Last edited:

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Re: Bear Bryant an Unsurpassable Legend?

Unsurpassable? No. Life is designed to leave you behind. It just is. At some point in the not so distant future there will be no living human beings that ever saw his TV show or watched/attended a game he coached in. Eventually after that the children of the last generation to see him in person will pass on. With every subsequent generation his legend will fade a little. I was around 9 when he died and much of what I about his life and his values on and off the field I know by reading others accounts of him. For some young kids today Nick Saban is already the greatest Alabama coach in history in their eyes.

Besides, his real value wasn't in championships or big wins. His greatest value, IMHO, was the values he taught and the pride he brought to a region that suffered a horrific economic and social drought. That was the real impact. I'm not sure you can really appreciate it if you weren't alive and in the south to experience it and I'm not sure that a coach could have that same kind of impact in today's world. Winning football games was great but the ways in which he impacted our psyche was the real gift that CPB gave to us all.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

Just like your old timers refer to him as Mr. Struth, the old timers here would answer Coach Bryant as opposed to Bear Bryant.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Just like your old timers refer to him as Mr. Struth, the old timers here would answer Coach Bryant as opposed to Bear Bryant.
True. I'm an old timer, having been on campus when he returned. None of us would dream of referring to him as "Bear." It was always "Coach" or "Coach Bryant." Occasionally, you'd hear "The Bear."

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

Coach Bryant surpassed Frank Thomas, and I hope to witness the time when CNS surpasses Bryant. IMHO, CNS is a coach in the mold of the Bear. His players excel both on and off the field. Look at graduation rates, academic all Americans, and the relative lack of incidents among the players of CNS coached teams. Winning in not everything, and CNS acknowledges this fact. He is a rare individual that has the potential of passing CPB, and I think that he might, if time does not run out before he can.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013

Thread title and references within amended. I didn't know the term normally used, I'd have pointed out the same had a fan referred to Bill Struth instead of Mr. Struth. :)

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013

Unsurpassable? No. Life is designed to leave you behind. It just is. At some point in the not so distant future there will be no living human beings that ever saw his TV show or watched/attended a game he coached in. Eventually after that the children of the last generation to see him in person will pass on. With every subsequent generation his legend will fade a little. I was around 9 when he died and much of what I about his life and his values on and off the field I know by reading others accounts of him. For some young kids today Nick Saban is already the greatest Alabama coach in history in their eyes.

Besides, his real value wasn't in championships or big wins. His greatest value, IMHO, was the values he taught and the pride he brought to a region that suffered a horrific economic and social drought. That was the real impact. I'm not sure you can really appreciate it if you weren't alive and in the south to experience it and I'm not sure that a coach could have that same kind of impact in today's world. Winning football games was great but the ways in which he impacted our psyche was the real gift that CPB gave to us all.
The paragraph I have highlighted is brilliant.

I must admit I disagree with your conclusion in your first, mainly for the reasons you have given in the second. A support/fans base is a living entity, individual fans come and go through it's life but whilst the fan base lives the memories are passed on. Similarly to how you describe many young Rangers fans if asked would answer Walter Smith, in my younger years I would have likely said Jock Wallace but as you grow and learn to appreciate and understand the history of your team, your views change. I think more to reflect the consensus of the wider opinion.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I'm not an old timer (just look at the year in my name), but I still refer to him as Coach Bryant. Actually get a little annoyed when I hear media members or fans call him "Bear."

To the OP, I'm not sure if anyone will surpass Coach Bryant.

In the process of revitalizing the program and exceeding where Coach Thomas had it in the 1920's, he gave Southerners, and specifically Alabamians, something to be proud of. While the media and others looked down on the South because of the Civil Rights movement, Coach Bryant had Alabama football winning and gave your "average Joe" in Alabama reason to stick his chest out.

Saban and Bryant came into similar situations. Both arrived to a football program in pieces. Bryant had a worse situation than Saban, partly because Bryant made Alabama a national brand.

Edit: Agent, I should have read your post before posting.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005

I already think Saban is a better coach than Bryant. If he can win two more titles before he leaves, I think everyone else will agree with me.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I'm not sure if Coach Saban will surpass Coach Bryant, but if he keeps winning he'll have a dang good shot to. I hate hearing it when people say we always compare him to Coach Bryant because I have actually heard Bryant's name less the past few years than I ever have in this state. Coach Saban has had one of the best runs in Alabama history and in an ear that is supposed to stop dynasty's like this.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I already think Saban is a better coach than Bryant. If he can win two more titles before he leaves, I think everyone else will agree with me.
Too hard to compare. Different eras. I'll say this though. Coach Saban's process depends on having the best possible players.
Coach Bryant had some very good ones as well but he could take a lesser talented group and beat a team with way more talent.
I'm not sure if Coach S. could do that as consistently as Coach Bryant.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama

Nobody is a bigger fan of Coach Saban than I am, but I cannot fathom Coach Bryant being surpassed by anybody. Sorry, just can't wrap my head around that thought.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

How to answer without getting banned. Not sure that I can given the board rules. :cool:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

Thread title and references within amended. I didn't know the term normally used, I'd have pointed out the same had a fan referred to Bill Struth instead of Mr. Struth. :)
You were fine. I was merely pointing out that for fans that have ties to when he was coaching, they use Coach Bryant, to fans that don't have ties to that timeframe, they likely refer to Bear or Bear Bryant.

To the original question, I don't know that the legend will be surpassed, but different. I think the contract issue from this week will start to close the book on the hired gun image for CNS. 10 years from now it will be interesting to see how the two men are perceived. Coach Bryant's legend is also built on how beloved he is by the fan base. 10 years from now a love of that level may be there for CNS too.

I think most fans remember the grandpa version of CPB. What is the comparison of personality between the 55 y.o. CPB and the 55 y.o. CNS? As CNS mellows, you do see a different perception of him, I think.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Coach Bryant had a depth of love for the University that is a prominent part of why he's held in such high regard today. In my opinion, you just don't see that level of old school loyalty with coaches these days.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch

It is possible that you can't fully appreciate a coach until their full body of work is in the books and you've had a decade or two afterwards to put it in an historical perspective. But I would dare to suggest that if Saban plays out his career at Alabama and continues to achieve the success that we all expect, then fans may eventually acknowledge a new legend in the pantheon.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

It is possible that you can't fully appreciate a coach until their full body of work is in the books and you've had a decade or two afterwards to put it in an historical perspective. But I would dare to suggest that if Saban plays out his career at Alabama and continues to achieve the success that we all expect, then fans may eventually acknowledge a new legend in the pantheon.
I'd argue that he's already a legend. 4 total NC rings will do that.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

At the office we use the phrase, "different but same," when discussing the finer points of various Chinese buffet restaurants. I think by the time CNS retires, the phrase will adequately describe the comparison between the legend associated with each man.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.