D II National Championship

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
After 28 years, the NCAA D II NC game is playing its last game in my hometown of Florence, Al. The game, on ESPN 2, pits NW Missiouri St. against Lenoir-Rhyne from N. Carolina. Next year, the game moves to Kansas City.

Last edited:

lelandhorne

1st Team
Sep 21, 2013
I hate triple option, every time I see a triple option offense I just want to punch the offensive coordinator.

lelandhorne

1st Team
Sep 21, 2013
I hate bobbled passes for TDs, every time I see one I just want to punch the offensive coordinator.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I understand moving it out of Florence with UNA moving up but it's a shame for the Shoals area to lose such a great event. UNA moving up wasn't a very popular decision among many in Florence. Anyone heard Wallace's opinion on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
21, I have been gone from Florence since 1979, except for 2 years back in the area in 85 & 86. I always loved going to Florence St. and late UNA games. My dad and I spent a lot of Saturday afternoon and evenings at Tom Braly Stadium.

I have followed UNA from afar since that time and have not heard anything Coach Wallace has said about the Lions moving up but I have heard a lot of negative comments from people in and around the Shoals. IMO, I do not think the Quad Cities will support a football sub division team or eventually a D I team because so many folks are Alabama or auburn fans.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I am a Lenoir-Rhyne College (now University) grad and was a 242 pound All-Conference offensive tackle there in the late 70's. We had a great year including a playoff win over North Alabama. If you watched the game, the QB that had led the Bears in the playoffs did not start due to an injury in practice Thursday, and was considered 3rd string until the 1 and 2 went down in the first round against Carson-Newman. Interesting tidbit is that DII allows max of 36 scholarships, but LR is limited to 25 by the South Atlantic Conference. Pretty big difference.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
I am a Lenoir-Rhyne College (now University) grad and was a 242 pound All-Conference offensive tackle there in the late 70's. We had a great year including a playoff win over North Alabama. If you watched the game, the QB that had led the Bears in the playoffs did not start due to an injury in practice Thursday, and was considered 3rd string until the 1 and 2 went down in the first round against Carson-Newman. Interesting tidbit is that DII allows max of 36 scholarships, but LR is limited to 25 by the South Atlantic Conference. Pretty big difference.

Its a great honor just to make it to the championship game. Many teams throughout the country would gladly change places with LR to be able to be playing for the NC. They have nothing to be ashamed of by getting beat.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Congratulations on making it this far. That is quite an accomplishment for such a small school (1800 students).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I am from Florence and while I've never been to the DII game (and haven't lived there in almost 30 years) I ams ad to see the game move.

By an odd twist of fate, I happened to be in Kansas City, the new home of the game, this weekend. I seriously doubt nearly as many people in KC will be excited about the game coming to town as there are in Florence or that it will get nearly the attention in the local media.

On my way back, I spent Saturday night in St. Louis. While eating breakfast at the hotel, I saw two guys wearing NW Missouri shirts. I guess they were just students (and not players) as I only saw the two of them and nobody else. Anyway, one of them was wearing a houndstooth Bama hat that looked to be brand new. I didn't talk to him, but I bet he'd been to the game.

chris

All-SEC
May 17, 2001
loxley,al. 36551
went to the game in '93. being a florence native i enjoyes the trip up,was in bham at the time,but that was the COLDEST GAME Ive ever been to! WOW!!

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
went to the game in '93. being a florence native i enjoyes the trip up,was in bham at the time,but that was the COLDEST GAME Ive ever been to! WOW!!
I was just about to post that. Was '93 the year Jax State played in the Snow blizzard. The game was finally decided 3-0 on a last second FG? Being a Jax State fan, I'm sad to see it move from Florence as well. Really proud of JSU this year. I think if JSU's QB doesn't get hurt, JSU would have beat EWU and probably the National Championship. Oh well.
Sad to see the championship game move from such a historic site.

John8054

Aug 13, 2003
Prattville, AL USA
Very interesting statistic about scholarships. My wife is a '70 graduate of L-R and we followed the playoffs with great interest this year. I told her we'd drive up from Prattville if they made to the championship game. They did, and we did. What I saw was a team that never gave up. Even when they were down by three scores, nobody left and when it was all over, the L-R fans stayed to cheer their team as they left the field. Talking with an former L-R football player at a rest stop on the way home, I learned that the L-R coach's philosophy is to play the starter whenever he can. Therefore, the starter from the previous two playoff games, Josh Johnson - did not start against NW Missouri; the previous starter - who hadn't taken a snap in weeks - became the starter literally at game-time. We heard the injury rumor about Josh in the stands, but watching him on the sidelines and when he got in the game, I saw no signs of any injury. Overall, it was a game effort by L-R and a good showing on national TV. I think with a little more support from the school, the Bears could be a consistent challenger in Division II, BUT scholorship limitations, bus trips instead of plane trips to the National Championship, and a shoestring budget will take its toll. One final note, during the game I caught myself yelling "Come on, Bama!" instead of "Come on, Bears!" Good habits are hard to break.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
UNA isn't moving up. It almost seemed as if UNA wanted the D2 Championship game to leave the area so they could pursue moving up again.
Their trustees have approved the move to D1 (FCS in football). They are in the six year process of moving up to that level. Here a link from the school including a timeline for the process.

http://www.una.edu/division1/

They will be moving up, according to the site, for fiscal reasons and the "changing landscape" of DII athletics.

CrimsonTusk

1st Team
Sep 14, 2003
Florence AL USA
Their trustees have approved the move to D1 (FCS in football). They are in the six year process of moving up to that level. Here a link from the school including a timeline for the process.

http://www.una.edu/division1/

They will be moving up, according to the site, for fiscal reasons and the "changing landscape" of DII athletics.
Thanks,.. I was under the assumption it had been tabled since UNA hadn't gotten the invite to the OVC.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
That is an old article. In the timeline listed, it says this year was their first year of transition to DI and would not be eligible for the post season this year. but they made the DII football playoffs so apparently they are still in DII.

They didn't get into the OVC because the OVC is run by a bunch of idiots who'd rather let in on football schools. They need an invite from someone to get into the FCS.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
That is an old article. In the timeline listed, it says this year was their first year of transition to DI and would not be eligible for the post season this year. but they made the DII football playoffs so apparently they are still in DII.

They didn't get into the OVC because the OVC is run by a bunch of idiots who'd rather let in on football schools. They need an invite from someone to get into the FCS.
Most recent article I could find on it. The process was delayed a year. So they were in D2 this year. Here's Bobby Wallace's comments on it. It's from last season but it appears the plan is still under way to make the transition.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/09/unas_bobby_wallace_calls_sligh.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think their best bet would have been to move up 20 years ago when Troy, Jax State and UT Martin all left the GSC for greener pastures. I hope they can make the move, but without an invitation from an FCS league, it is impossible even though they seem to have the money lined up.

Perhaps they can get into the OVC if someone leaves (Jax State and Eastern Kentucky are both looking to move up if the Sun Belt asks them). The SoCon would work geographically, but I don't see that happening.

The SWAC would be the best fit as far as travel goes and it would be fun to see everyone's reactions, but that won't happen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.