Link: Keep An Eye To The Sky Today & Tonight For Bad Weather

jforehand

Aug 2, 2012
There was an outbreak of tornado's in mid-December 2000. Right now from my perspective it doesn't seem to bad outside compared to then. That day I think the temperature got up to around 80 with very strong gusts of wind and then behind the storms the temp dropped rapidly into the 30's with a few inches of snow on the ground the next day. Right now it is a bit muggy but it isn't very windy. According to my outside thermometer the temp is about 67 degrees which is warm for this time of year but not scary warm.
I was trying to get home form AIT in DC on Dec 16th 2000. I got stuck in Atlanta because the weather was so bad in southeast Alabama. My dad was in Abbeville on his way to Atlanta to get me when he had to skirt around a tornado that took out all the trailers and buildings there on the intersection of HWY 27 and 431.

Now I live in Madison county and not looking forward to what is coming our way. Stay weather aware!!!

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
It sure feels like "Tornado Weather", when you walk outside, as folks usually say before bad weather occurs..And according to the National Weather Service for us in Alabama & around the southeast in general will have to deal with strong winds, flooding, tornadoes, and on the backside of the weather system, they will be dealing with ice storms..

I'm not trying too scare y'all, just wanna make sure everyone is prepared for what's coming today & tonight..Y'all are like family to me, and with our history of tornados in Alabama, we can never be prepared enough for bad weather..Make sure your Weather Radio is working..Mods if y'all need or have to move this..Please do so..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME
Be safe! I hope all you will take care! Not bad up here, 'cept flood watch.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Rush is going to Toronto, and my favorite band of all time RUSH is from Toronto. Not a coincidence.
I saw Rush a few months ago here in Halifax and it was probably the best concert I've seen. Those guys are real pros and Alex Lifeson is a much better guitarist than I thought he was all these years.

Stay safe down there. I'll take 12 hours of freezing rain anyday over a tornado threat.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Rush is going to Toronto, and my favorite band of all time RUSH is from Toronto. Not a coincidence.
I saw Rush a few months ago here in Halifax and it was probably the best concert I've seen. Those guys are real pros and Alex Lifeson is a much better guitarist than I thought he was all these years.

Stay safe down there. I'll take 12 hours of freezing rain anyday over a tornado threat.
I don't know. I've been without power for a week from both of them...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
They have us on alert but the outage numbers have not gotten big enough yet for us to go anywhere. Very well could end up in Oklahoma, Vermont, or New Hampshire though.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
One of my all-time faves as well, Bryant!

Coincidentally, have been rockin' out to them Fri nights the last few months when the work week winds down...

Saw them 3 times - in small venues - when I lived in Toronto, in the late '70's...
I had that famous hemispheres poster in my room when I was 12(star wars wardrobe). I was a drummer all the way up to at UA and Neil Peart was my role model.
Most people known them from Tom Sawyer, but folks like you went back before the became huge. I am an intermediate who heard All the Word's a stage in 1978, but they became "the" band with the release of Permanent Waves. I then bought every Album going back, about a month in between, and learned every nuance of every song. Then bought Moving Pictures and have bought every new album or DVD since. The R&R hof was classic. Anyway," Take off....to the great white north...take off!"

Back to the weather. It's in the 70's here in Cullman, humid and sticky with light rain.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I had that famous hemispheres poster in my room when I was 12(star wars wardrobe). I was a drummer all the way up to at UA and Neil Peart was my role model.
Most people known them from Tom Sawyer, but folks like you went back before the became huge. I am an intermediate who heard All the Word's a stage in 1978, but they became "the" band with the release of Permanent Waves. I then bought every Album going back, about a month in between, and learned every nuance of every song. Then bought Moving Pictures and have bought every new album or DVD since. The R&R hof was classic. Anyway," Take off....to the great white north...take off!"

Back to the weather. It's in the 70's here in Cullman, humid and sticky with light rain.
While I remember when their first, self-titled album came out, what rally hooked me n friends at the time was 2112, and A Farewell to Kings.

I was in the hospital for a few weeks when a buddy bought me A Farewell to Kings, and when I got home, I just couldn't get enough of it.

In fact, IIRC, a movie by the name of Xanadu came out a few years later, and I remember being outraged when I'd heard they didn't use Xanadu by Rush as the title track, but instead Xanadu by Olivia Newton John or some such thing...

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
While I remember when their first, self-titled album came out, what rally hooked me n friends at the time was 2112, and A Farewell to Kings.

I was in the hospital for a few weeks when a buddy bought me A Farewell to Kings, and when I got home, I just couldn't get enough of it.

In fact, IIRC, a movie by the name of Xanadu came out a few years later, and I remember being outraged when I'd heard they didn't use Xanadu by Rush as the title track, but instead Xanadu by Olivia Newton John or some such thing...
It's kind of an honor to go back to the 2112 album as your roots with the band. That means you bought Farewell, Hemispheres and Waves as new releases, with each getting better.....and were there for their peak years. I baulk at the cost of CD's today. but I would put the worth of any of those albums, at the age I bought them at $100. They were that valuable to me. Hard to explain Rush to someone that didn't go through it. I am sure others feel the same way about their teenage music. But nobody could touch Rush from 1976 through 1982.

Back to the weather. We are having a through front where the cold will come a good time after the initial front comes through, like a day later. It was 70 today, and will be in the 20's in 2 days. Wild extreme shift that only occurs at certain times of the year. But not ground heat and energy to produce anything other than very small tornado's if any. RAIN!

MegaVars

All-American
Nov 17, 2002
Warrior, AL.
Not looking forward to this....at work, expecting power failures and I'm flying solo tonight. power failures reek havoc on the plant...Ima be pretty bowed up if this happens.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Tornado Watch until 2:00 for parts north and west of a line that roughly follows I-20/59.

Be safe, folks. Lots of juice lingering in the air even after sunset and a good bit of shear make a tornado or 2 a real possibility overnight.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
Hope everyone cleaned their gutters unlike me! I did rake the leaves though. I am praying for no flash flood warnings = you better hope you cleaned your gutters :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am located in Harvest. It's always is a big concern, being that Harvest is a breeding ground for Tornado.
Lord, is that ever the truth. I bought my house over on the NE corner of Monte Sano partially because of its relative safety from tornadoes. They lift up (the strongest ones even slam into the SW corner of the mountain) and they come back down around Dug Hill Rd. Over to the east, around Albertville, the plateau is so much wider, they lift, but then they set back down on the plateau and into one of the most heavily populated rural areas in the country...

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
Good News. The center of the low pressure for this front has been pushed up far north of us, which is bad news for the north because it could involve snow, but we are not going to get near the weather that was predicted. The front is still on the way, but the supercells are gone. Keep your weather radio alert on, but you can have a good night sleep, maybe a thunder or two and a little rain.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
The northwestern part of the state is not completely out of the woods yet, but it looks a lot better now than it did earlier.

Edited to add: Pretty much as I was typing this the NWS cancelled the tornado watch for Marion and Lamar Counties, but the watch remains in effect for all other counties previously under the watch. Still included are Carrollton, Tuscaloosa, B'ham, Aliceville, and points along roughly the same I-20/59 corridor just as before. The watch expires at 2:00AM.

Last edited:

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
The front is long, extends all the way up to Canada. From Cullman it looks like the front will arrive around 2:00 AM, so I expect some strong winds and rain. That is what I am most worried about. Trees and branches. Until then we are in the triangle, front to the West and gulf warm air heading north until it hits the front. But it is very good that the low pressure area has moved much further north than they predicted. I am assuming that the either the gulf air mass was stronger or maybe the ever constant bermuda high played a part. But I will leave that to the pro's. :) Bottom line, we got lucky so far.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.