Former Alabama coaches and" where are they now" thread.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Two former Bama coaches on staff currently at Arizona State--Chris Ball and Paul Randolph. Bucket Step Bob Connelly also was on staff there in 2012.

Last edited:

dathbama

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 19, 2004
Ruckersville, VA
www.uvachurch.com
Curious about a couple of assistants:

Charlie Stubbs, a good OC, hobbled by a HC (Dubose) who was hopelessly overmatcHed.

Bucket Step Bob Connelly (sp?), the only Alabama OL coach who ever actually espoused the theory that the OL should absorb, not deliver, the first blow.

Two of my favorites, I unfortunately know are gone now. Homer Smith was my favorite OC of all time. I never got to meet him, but would love to have bent an elbow in his company.

Jim Bob Helduser did an awesome job with a young OL in Fran's tenure. At least two of five went on to the NFL, and one, Evan Mathis, is still playing.

Plus, he and Altee Tenpenny would be the first two on my all-time name team. I did get to meet Helduser and his wife. They were first-rate people. Unfortunately, he passed away several years ago from cancer.
Bob Connelly is at Arizona State: http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=207923330

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
not any more. http://blogs.evtrib.com/varsityxtra...former-asu-assistant-as-offensive-line-coach/

Guess they don't bull rush in AZ. :rolleyes: This would also explain ASU's improvement this year!
Not surprised that Connelly's career has steadily declined, but I must say I didn't expect him to fall this far. I wonder if maybe the HC at Gilbert High likes to play bridge(an inside joke that only long-time posters will get)....;-)

Whatever became of Don Lindsey, who I believe was Curry's DC and later coached at Ole Miss? Outside of Derrick Thomas, he put together some atrocious D's for us back in the late '80s.

Last edited:

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
Does anyone know anything about Randy Ross. He was head coach @ Southside when I was in High School. He later went to BAMA as an assistant. He was there for years, and the last that i heard was Coach Saban let him go when he was hired.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Woody McCorvey, former receivers coach and OC at Bama, is the Associate Athletic Director of Football Administration at Clemson. He was Dabo's position coach when he played at Bama.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
Woody McCorvey, former receivers coach and OC at Bama, is the Associate Athletic Director of Football Administration at Clemson. He was Dabo's position coach when he played at Bama.
Wow, seems like Woody and Dubose were the two leading candidates when CGS left. I was never impressed with his vanilla offenses, and knew he was with the Vols for a while, but glad to see he is still going strong. He's an honorable character.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
Ronnie Cottrel, recruiting coordinator 2006 -?

HC Godby HS Florida. "Led his team to the 2012 FHSAA Class 5A State Championship. Godby defeated Immokalee 21-20 in an classic finish."
Who was the running back coach that got nailed with Cottrell? He was a great RB coach.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
He was protected. That's the only reason he wasn't found in a ditch in Opelika after the Iron Bowl.
I still put the some blame on FK and ES and the line :) Obviously Arians was better suited for the pros and has had the best post Bama career of any assistant I know of.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.