Do you talk like a southerner? And what variety?

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
How Ya'll, Youse and You Guys Talk

Here's a little game. You select your preferred word usage for common things and events, and this game compares it to the most common usage in different parts of the country -- down to specific locations. So you could be using terminology that is only common around New Orleans, or Miami or Atlanta or Cincinnati. It shows you the specific areas in which your preferred terminology is most common, and at the end, it shows you where your overall word choices place you in the country.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Most similar - Birmingham, Atlanta, Jackson, MS
Least similar - Utah, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York (NYBF could have told me this)

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Lived in TX too long. Still heavily Southeastern. I lost a lot of my heavy accent in grad school when I concentrated in Speech Comm and had a prof work on some of my pronunciations. I don't place anything "own" the table; it is "on" the table. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my fat fingers cause misspellings and autocorrect makes my ships into...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Lexington, KY, Springfield, IL, and Oklahoma City - no wonder people can never figure out where I'm from. I guess that's one good thing about growing up in Orlando - no distinct dialect...

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Mobile, Jackson, Baton Rouge.
I've lost my accent - N Alabama/Tenn. but people from here can tell I'm not.
They need to have a choice for a drive thru that sells both liquor and ammo.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
Mobile, Jackson, & B'ham=> blend of my family heritage in central AL + growing up in NW FL (~1 hr from AL both to the north & the west; just barely in FL iow) + my education (UA) + where I've lived for 24+ years (Hattiesburg).

As the late, great scribe Lewis Grizzard once wrote, God talks like we do down here. ;)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Mobile, Jackson, & B'ham=> blend of my family heritage in central AL + growing up in NW FL (~1 hr from AL both to the north & the west; just barely in FL iow) + my education (UA) + where I've lived for 24+ years (Hattiesburg).

As the late, great scribe Lewis Grizzard once wrote, God talks like we do down here. ;)
Baptists are getting more liberal - they're now waving to each other in liquor stores
RIP Lewis Grizzard

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
OK, one more favorite LG line, written about the time he was playing w/ the dog & got his school clothes all muddy:

"Mama beat me for the remainder of the afternoon, & on into the early part of the evening." :biggrin2:

</hijack>

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.