Yahoo Sports: Mack Brown was forced out by UT President & Regents

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States

Source: Mack Brown forced out as Texas coach after president withdrew support

According to Pat Forde, Brown started the day planning to stay on after having been told that he had the support of the President and the AD. Apparently, the President was told by a few of the Regents that the President's job depended on getting rid of Brown. So he sent the AD over to tell Brown he was out.

One of several reasons I never thought that Coach Saban would go to UT was stuff like this: who's in charge of the football program? It clearly hasn't been the coach. Saban's approach seems to be "You give me control and I'll produce. If I don't, get rid of me. Don't try to run the program while I'm accountable for it." It's a good philosophy.

I think this will also make UT have to go to at least a mid-level coach as the better names wouldn't touch this situation.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va

Source: Mack Brown forced out as Texas coach after president withdrew support
I think this will also make UT have to go to at least a mid-level coach as the better names wouldn't touch this situation.

Nothing would tickle me more that for UTx to lure the barn's coach to Austin. Just to hear all the moaning and groaning coming out of W. Ga., especially since we all heard so very much from them about CNS going to UTx.
Karma, when it pays a visit to places like W.Ga. is sweet to behold indeed! (And yes, I know they feel the same about us.)

Roll Tide, Roll...A'ight!

skipster63

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2010
Buchanan Dam
I think anybody who saw how this went down could have easily put two and two together to see that he was forced out. The power brokers had just had enough and it was time for a change.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Texas has been patient. I think they have a deal with someone for after the Championship game. Gus is gone boys and girls. Ask yourself ... if you could double your money and escape Lee County and Saban's shadow for Austin with unlimited resources and pick'em recruiting ... what would you choose?

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Texas has been patient. I think they have a deal with someone for after the Championship game. Gus is gone boys and girls. Ask yourself ... if you could double your money and escape Lee County and Saban's shadow for Austin with unlimited resources and pick'em recruiting ... what would you choose?
You sure about that? I doubt it's Gus.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Nothing would tickle me more that for UTx to lure the barn's coach to Austin. Just to hear all the moaning and groaning coming out of W. Ga., especially since we all heard so very much from them about CNS going to UTx.
Karma, when it pays a visit to places like W.Ga. is sweet to behold indeed! (And yes, I know they feel the same about us.)

Roll Tide, Roll...A'ight!
I can't imagine Malzoid would go to UTx at this point. But nothing surprises me anymore. And yes, the karma would be magnificent if it did happen.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
That's kind of a head in the sand statement. As much as I despise the barn, Gus isn't leaving.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
I've been comparing this situation to Bobby Bowden since it came to light. The school felt obligated to keep one of their most respected coaches ever in good standing while getting rid of him. Only problem was neither Bowden or Mack wanted to leave.

It was obvious in both cases that neither coach was able to make the adjustments needed to continue to win ball games.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
People love the intrigue and scandal aspects of Mack's departure. The back room politicking of Boosters, Presidents, Regents, and a NC winning coach who stayed too long plays out like a Shakespearean Tragedy.

As a football coach Mack has underperformed the last 4 years. If he were the HC here, we'd be calling for his ouster too. 5-7, 8-5, 9-4, and 8-4 isn't good enough at a school like Texas. IMO, considering that the football team doesn't seem to be progressing, the fact that WLGMB was going to have the option to stay is an indictment of Powers and Patterson.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The report of Nebraska contacting Brown begs a question. How many schools have replaced a coach while the existing coach was still there? We know of the ones which weren't successful - the barn contacting Petrino, the barn contacting Nutt, Texas contacting Saban, and Nebraska contacting Brown. Probably many others that don't presently come to mind. But the practice seems so prevalent, there must have been some who succeeded.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The report of Nebraska contacting Brown begs a question. How many schools have replaced a coach while the existing coach was still there? We know of the ones which weren't successful - the barn contacting Petrino, the barn contacting Nutt, Texas contacting Saban, and Nebraska contacting Brown. Probably many others that don't presently come to mind. But the practice seems so prevalent, there must have been some who succeeded.
Allegedly - Tampa was going to replace Tony Dungy with Bill Parcells back in 2002. It got out and they wound up with Jon Gruden. This was so "secret" that Keyshawn Johnson was referencing it during the post-game interview after Tampa lost in the 2001 NFC playoffs.

And, of course, aTm basically did this with Franchione.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I want to remind everybody of something - just because you hear (read) a story that something happened, don't believe that it actually did. Many of these coaches/agents have friends in the media who will be glad to float a story and judge the potential positive/negative impact. It isn't just sports; politicians do this all the time (best example: float names for VP to gauge reaction). And these folks hang out enough that despite all the supposed "contention" between them - most of them are good friends or at least tolerant acquaintances.

There's a good bit of psychology involved here. I have no doubt that the whole Jetgate mess was designed in the hopes Tubs would resign and then Petrino would take the job. A similar thing - in reverse - happened when Jimmy Johnson wanted to be the Miami Dolphins coach while he was still head of the Cowboys. First, he made sure to publicly insult Jones a few times and get fired. Then he got a job as an analyst. Then he goes on TV and talks about how great the Dolphins are and picks them to win the Super Bowl. Then - when they don't - Shula sees the writing on Huizenga's wall and "retires," replaced by Jimmy.

The thing with these media forced marriages....I'm not aware of one that has ever worked. As good as Saban is, even his going to Texas was/is no guarantee of anything. And with people barking commands at him from the inside - I don't think it would have been the marriage of convenience everyone dreamed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.