How much Do you think coach Saban really cares about the University of Alabama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roll Tide 00

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Do you think he really has love for the University?Or will he always have,as some said,the hired gun mentality?He has been here longer than any of his previous jobs.He is the face of Alabama football right now.Do you think he takes any pride in that?Sometimes i feel like his love only goes as far as his paycheck.Do you think he just views it as another job?When you think about beloved coaches like coach Bryant or Bobby Bowden at FSU for instance.Does anyone view him in that same light?I wish i could say i do but honestly I struggle to.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Re: Do you think coach Saban really cares about the University of Alabama?

Do you think he really has love for the University?Or will he always have,as some said,the hired gun mentality?He has been here longer than any of his previous jobs.He is the face of Alabama football right now.Do you think he takes any pride in that?Sometimes i feel like his love only goes as far as his paycheck.Do you think he just views it as another job?When you think about beloved coaches like coach Bryant or Bobby Bowden at FSU for instance.Does anyone view him in that same light?I wish i could say i do but honestly I struggle to.
Honestly, I'm past worrying. I know how I feel and that's what matters to me. He's a great coach, the graduation rate is outstanding, he does great things in the community and he is a decent man with a good family. That's enough for me.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Don't let the media drive your opinion of him.

Yes, he cares about the University, Tuscaloosa, and this state. Does he care about it like you do, or like most fans do? Probably not. Although he's doing something he loves, it's still a job.

His actions regarding his salary are no different than anyone else's would be in his position. This is not the days of Coach Bryant when the head football coach didn't make much more than the professors at the college.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

I am sure you meant the post to be in blue.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland

4 Months ago I couldn't have told you who was the Head Coach of Alabama.

I couldn't have told you what colour the team played in.

and if someone had said to me 'Roll Tide', I'd heave replied EH?

At the end of the Iron Bowl I switched my TV off and didn't switch it back on for a week, and I'm in Glasgow!!!

Coach Saban cares, you can't be in that environment, live with the passion, commitment and even expectation of the fans and not have it rub off on you. I was only watching it on the box and it infected me, I'd bet my mortgage on it, he cares.

Thoughtful post as usual,JBama.
Yeah I know. lol I see where you are coming from though. Thing is, what do we expect? This isn't the 60s and 70s. The media drives everything. If not there would be no Tidefans. People feed into it, even CNS. It is what it is though. Tiny Alabama will continue to thrive.

Sent from my iPhone

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Does Coach Saban care about The University of Alabama? What about the large chunks of money he has spent in the community on homes after the devastation of the Tornado. The money he has spent on Nicks Kids. The money he has spent on establishing academic scholarships at Alabama. I'd say that Coach Saban went from being a wander to settling down. I'd say he cares enough to be upset when the students took a hike at halftime... I'd say he's as upset at the blown opportunities in the Auburn game, as anyone on this forum. In my personal opinion, I'd say Coach Saban is where he can win, and feel good about doing it his way. A 'Hired Gun' would have taken the money and run to Texas. Coach Saban is a 'Hired Gun', just like 'AJ' is a 'Game Manager. NUFF SAID.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

He definitely cares but not with the same "I grew up here" passion you and I have. He would care no matter what institution employed him. That's primarily why he returned to the college game. He and Miss Terry know the college game is where they can most positively impact people and community. Obviously they have grown to love the Bama experience. Advantage tide fans.

Last edited:

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman

I think he originally felt like an employee but at a school that he grew up watching, and understood the tradition, respected. While at LSU, he had to admire our loyal fanbase and was maybe a little intrigued with our clout. In 2007 he probably cared more about Mal, his friend in this adventure, than the sterile institution.
Being rather introverted, coach Saban seems to be the type that has a few very close friends. I believe Coach SABAN has deep loyalties, but it takes a lot to earn it. I believe he is fonder of our school than any other, except maybe Kent State. He is about half way there as far as having considering UA his family, but I can't see how that doesn't happen in the next few years with the bonds with players and success he has had on top of the way he and the fanbase see eye to eye on most everything.

No doubt that AJ will always be coach Saban's 1st team QB. I doubt we will see another player that coach Saban treats like his son.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I really hope when Earle and CA get in from delivering all those toys tonight, the first order of business is deleting this insulting thread.

Merry Christmas and Roll Tide

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman

I really hope when Earle and CA get in from delivering all those toys tonight, the first order of business is deleting this insulting thread.

Good grief. Questions like this actually give fans a reason to say good things about Coach Saban. "I can't wait for my big brother to get here, he's going to get you!" :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

He cares about winning and doing it in the right way while doing it at Alabama. That is all I can ask for a guy who grew up in West Virginia. He's not an alum or local, I couldn't expect the same "love" for the University from him. I do think he genuinely loves this job more than any other position he's ever held though.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn

I think it was an honest question. The OP has been here since 07, and Mrs. RJ is wrapping presents while I enjoy some refreshing Christmas cheer so I have time to give my opinion.

OP, Coached Bryant changed jobs a bunch (Maryland, Kentucky, and aTm) before Mama called and Coach Bowden, if you believe some of the rumors over the years, wanted to come here a couple of times. Of course Coach Saban cares about The University of Alabama. IMO, CNS cares the most about the people in the program at The University of Alabama though. I think he cares a great deal about those people he's closest to, the good people that work in the program (all of them), and the young men that came to the university we love to play for him. The media storm about UTx and ensuing raise is just a part of the world we live in now. One cost of having a top flight HC at a marquee program is dealing with suitors trying to poach said HC. Like the cliche says: If nobody's trying to hire your coach you probably don't want him there.

Merry Christmas and Roll Tide!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Well, actually, instead of delivering presents, I've actually been helping the better half out by peeling potatoes. I'm going to leave it open. I think the OP didn't think through the inquiry. I think what he really meant is "Just how attached is Coach Saban to UA." That is the direction the answers have gone and I think that it is a legitimate inquiry, just because of the emotional instability all the recent publicity has seemed to cause. Myself, I think the answer is "very attached." There were some insane numbers thrown around, large enough to cause Red McCombs to declare that it was a "done deal," because his assumption was that enough money can buy anything and anybody. It reminds me of the old joke about "would you go to bed with me for $100K," if you know the joke I'm referring to. Now, did he consider it? I think he did, briefly. Any sane person would be forced to weigh the positives and negatives. BTW, the broken horns are totally blind to the monstrous negatives. They don't think there are any. In the end, his personal attachment to T-Town (15 habitat houses, for example) plus many more personal investments that aren't generally known outweighed more money. End of the day, his attachment, which I consider to be primary only to his deep personal attachment to LSU, plus his age, plus the negatives of the Big 12 won out. I don't think anyone can seriously doubt his attachment to UA. However, the nature and intensity of that attachment is a legitimate inquiry. Now, let's see where the thread goes...

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

I would give a month’s salary if some reporter would ask CNS to explain in detail the nature and intensity of his attachment to the University of Alabama. I would make sure I had a large coke and a big bag of popcorn because I would watch that video over and over. Merry Christmas and RTR.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

i actually see where the OP is coming from. i brought up this same question with someone a month or so ago. i never really came to a conclusion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.