How much Do you think coach Saban really cares about the University of Alabama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Re: Do you think coach Saban really cares about the University of Alabama?

Nothing CNS does or says will satisfy some since the Dolphins.

If this is the main thing we have to worry about, then meet me at the Soup Kitchen in about an hour.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian

Him not having not grown up a life-long resident or fan of the University, thus not as emotionally attached to the University as I am, or maybe you are, I could ask no more of someone who didn't or who's not. Oh yes, he's shown the love.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I doubt that anyone posting here really knows him well enough to answer the core question - how much does he care about Alabama. I would assume that he cares enough. But I doubt that he is, or ever will be, a "fan" in the way that most think of fans.

For the community and the school - he serves them both well. He understands his greater responsibility and takes it seriously. I suspect that he has done so everywhere that he has gone. The tornadoes may have upped the ante, so to speak, for him at Alabama. Something like that connects you with those around you - those who suffered loss and helped comfort one another.

But, more importantly, he really cares about his players. They are the ones that he connects to personally, and the ones that he will follow and support through the rest of his life. Their successes and failures will be his successes and failures.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture

I doubt that anyone posting here really knows him well enough to answer the core question - how much does he care about Alabama. I would assume that he cares enough. But I doubt that he is, or ever will be, a "fan" in the way that most think of fans.

For the community and the school - he serves them both well. He understands his greater responsibility and takes it seriously. I suspect that he has done so everywhere that he has gone. The tornadoes may have upped the ante, so to speak, for him at Alabama. Something like that connects you with those around you - those who suffered loss and helped comfort one another.

But, more importantly, he really cares about his players. They are the ones that he connects to personally, and the ones that he will follow and support through the rest of his life. Their successes and failures will be his successes and failures.
that sums it up perfectly. nobody can doubt his concern over the players and his willingness to help in the community.

jenk56

1st Team
Sep 5, 2012

Honestly, I'm past worrying. I know how I feel and that's what matters to me. He's a great coach, the graduation rate is outstanding, he does great things in the community and he is a decent man with a good family. That's enough for me.
Once again... who are we comment on something we have don't have enough information to answer. But given the facts stated above and the terrific job he does year in and year out in every aspect of coaching how can anyone doubt his love or commitment. Sure he gets a paycheck but how does the saying go about doing something you love and will never work a day in your life.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

This is the kind of stuff Mrs. Terry was talking about..
Yeah, to me it kind of is. On one hand, we have some fans adamantly defending their right to leave in the third quarter, and saying why A-Day is unimportant to them and that sort of thing, and I know for a fact some of the same fans had critical things to say about Saban's loyalty. I don't think people like that have any room to talk. I think most of us, myself included don't have room to question Saban's loyalty. You give me the season ticket holder that sat through every game until the end, that went to A-Day, that has shown true dedication and loyalty, not just occasional dedication and loyalty and perhaps they have some room to speak on the issue, but most of us not only don't have any reason to complain, we have no moral high ground either.

I've seen people explain how various things were more important, and took priority over Alabama football, and I can understand to a certain extent. But, how is it that we think that shouldn't apply to Nick Saban? We all have private lives, we all have lives away from Alabama football, but only fans are allowed to have less than absolute dedication. That's hypocritical.

The irony is that Nick Saban showed the loyalty that some of us are too apathetic to show. He could have had more money if he left, I think that's abundantly clear. But, he's still here and that says all I need to know about his loyalty and affection in regards to Alabama. You leave? Then we have a right to question loyalty...

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

If all Coach worried about was his paycheck he could have easily moved on to other jobs in the last seven years and received more money. I believe he genuinely cares about the players, the university and the community. If he were as shallow as the starter of this thread insinuates, then he would left a couple of NCs ago.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

I wasn't going to reply to this thread. My comment will be a generalization about people in high level positions and how those who are not question their actions. I have heard people say, me included at one time or another, if I was in charge I would do this or change that, well after many years in management and getting to that position it isn't what you think. When you get to the top in any profession your vantage point suddenly changes and what you thought you would or could do is not in the best interest of the entire organization. IMO, CNS has that vantage point and he knows what has to be done and does it without emotion and this is sometimes construed as a lack caring for our University.

I do think he is a private person who is besieged because of who he is and what he represents and that has to get old. He simply has a job to and he abhors distractions in carrying out his job, but that does not mean he does not care for the University, it's fans and alumni, you need to understand his vantage point. Sorry for the long winded rant.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Well, it's not like Mama called, but now that CNS is here I believe he has become ever the more attached to the University and the community of Tuscaloosa. The part I and others take exception to is the notion that he's here "just for a paycheck". He can get that anywhere, and a bigger one to boot. So why is he still here? I'm under no illusion that Alabama is his first and only love. That said, she's quite the lady and I can see why he enjoys her company and sticks around. The relationship is mutually beneficial and fulfilling.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

I think it is a good question if not artfully expressed. Some are born into this "sickness" that is Alabama Football. I grew up thinking that the Crimson Tide was the reason football was played ... My Dad, his Dad and his Dad saw to that. Does CNS have that love of Alabama football? Nope, how could he? Now that new grand baby ... that is another story entirely.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

I saw the Sabans at Mass last night. Mrs Terry gave us a Merry Christmas and I really regret not yelling "We appreciate you!"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I saw the Sabans at Mass last night. Mrs Terry gave us a Merry Christmas and I really regret not yelling "We appreciate you!"
Midnight Mass? I grew up in Decatur as a Methodist, which I still am. However, we had a custom of attending midnight Mass at St. Anne's Roman Catholic church...

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett

Midnight Mass? I grew up in Decatur as a Methodist, which I still am. However, we had a custom of attending midnight Mass at St. Anne's Roman Catholic church...
Vigil Mass at St Francis in Tuscaloosa. 4pm.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let me explain in detail WHY this ticked me off.

1) The adverb "really" smacks of condescension.

Do you think he really has love for the University?
2) So did this first sentence/question.

Or will he always have,as some said,the hired gun mentality?
There are two groups of people who insult Saban this way: Auburn fans and Texas fans. Auburn fans conveniently ignore Tommy Tuberville saying the only way he'd leave Oxford, MS was in a pine box - just hours before he said he was leaving. Demonstrating this was part of his character and not a momentary lapse, Tubs then left recruits in the middle of dinner to take the Cincinnati job while he was recruiting for Texas Tech.

Any Auburn fan who says anything about Saban is a hypocrite - period.

Texas fans call him a "mercenary." Not one of them is intelligent enough to know Saban took a million dollar a year pay CUT to come to the Capstone.

The "hired gun mentality" is a jealous fanbase creation. Auburn is on their third coach since Saban was hired. Better yet, their current "stable" coach has held FOUR different jobs since Saban has been at Alabama.

He has been here longer than any of his previous jobs.
I'll go you one better - when we kick off the WVA game next August, Saban will have been here longer than any other coach since Coach Bryant!!!!

Perkins - 4 years
Curry - 3 years
Stallings - 7 years
DuBose - 4 years
Franchione - 2 years
Price - 5 months
Saban - 7-plus years

He is the face of Alabama football right now. Do you think he takes any pride in that?
Nope. Stopping to take pride in your place right now is how you fail.

Sometimes i feel like his love only goes as far as his paycheck.
This is why he took a million-dollar pay cut to come here? Think about that - would you take a job that gave you a 20% pay cut (to say nothing of a million-dollar pay cut)?

Do you think he just views it as another job?
Let me tell ya exactly how he views it: "I may have won three national titles, but if I have consecutive losing seasons, I'm gone."

When you think about beloved coaches like coach Bryant or Bobby Bowden at FSU for instance.
Bobby Bowden, so beloved they ran him off!!

Does anyone view him in that same light? I wish i could say i do but honestly I struggle to.

Nick Saban uttered one memorable phrase that for some reason still gets held against him. Nobody holds anything against Tuberville, and he's done it more than once. Nobody holds it against Franchione. Nobody holds the same garbage against Urban Meyer. Or Dennis Erickson or anyone else.

What is the guy supposed to do? If he ever came out and said he was not going to Texas, the media would immediately start playing clips of "well, he said this before." They were saying that here in Texas.

I taped this off of KXAS the night the "Saban to Texas" rumors cranked up earlier this year. Note the snotty remark at the end: "I'm sure we all believe it."

Quite frankly, Saban should be beyond this by now.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Let me explain in detail WHY this ticked me off.

1) The adverb "really" smacks of condescension.

2) So did this first sentence/question.

There are two groups of people who insult Saban this way: Auburn fans and Texas fans. Auburn fans conveniently ignore Tommy Tuberville saying the only way he'd leave Oxford, MS was in a pine box - just hours before he said he was leaving. Demonstrating this was part of his character and not a momentary lapse, Tubs then left recruits in the middle of dinner to take the Cincinnati job while he was recruiting for Texas Tech.

Any Auburn fan who says anything about Saban is a hypocrite - period.

Texas fans call him a "mercenary." Not one of them is intelligent enough to know Saban took a million dollar a year pay CUT to come to the Capstone.

The "hired gun mentality" is a jealous fanbase creation. Auburn is on their third coach since Saban was hired. Better yet, their current "stable" coach has held FOUR different jobs since Saban has been at Alabama.

I'll go you one better - when we kick off the WVA game next August, Saban will have been here longer than any other coach since Coach Bryant!!!!

Perkins - 4 years
Curry - 3 years
Stallings - 7 years
DuBose - 4 years
Franchione - 2 years
Price - 5 months
Saban - 7-plus years

Nope. Stopping to take pride in your place right now is how you fail.

This is why he took a million-dollar pay cut to come here? Think about that - would you take a job that gave you a 20% pay cut (to say nothing of a million-dollar pay cut)?

Let me tell ya exactly how he views it: "I may have won three national titles, but if I have consecutive losing seasons, I'm gone."

Bobby Bowden, so beloved they ran him off!!

Nick Saban uttered one memorable phrase that for some reason still gets held against him. Nobody holds anything against Tuberville, and he's done it more than once. Nobody holds it against Franchione. Nobody holds the same garbage against Urban Meyer. Or Dennis Erickson or anyone else.

What is the guy supposed to do? If he ever came out and said he was not going to Texas, the media would immediately start playing clips of "well, he said this before." They were saying that here in Texas.

I taped this off of KXAS the night the "Saban to Texas" rumors cranked up earlier this year. Note the snotty remark at the end: "I'm sure we all believe it."

Quite frankly, Saban should be beyond this by now.
You make good points. However, I think enough people ponder the question privately that the discussion shouldn't be made imponderable. I don't mind how scathing the comments are. On Tubs, I happened to be in Oxford, with an inside source, when that happened. I told several AU friends that he was moving, despite what he said. They didn't believe me. Funny thing is that he took his whole staff and they took the playbooks with them, which are university property. They returned them under threat of legal action. I'm sure they simply burned them, when they got them back...

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I don't know CNS, so I can't truly answer the OP's questions. But, I have similar personality traits with him.....perfectionist, passsionate about things I care for, uninterested to a fault in things I don't care for, workaholic, detailed focused, always prepared, mildly introverted outside "my group", etc. I've changed jobs a few times in my career, but I assure you, I care deeply about the places I've worked, and about the people I knew in those places. For me, I can't separate the above personality traits and the love of the place/people I work. They go hand in hand. I gotta belive CNS cares more about the University and the people there than we give him credit for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.