FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclaim New NCAA Legislation: Early Signing Period for Early Enroll Prospects

Huge development here. Straight from the NCAA website:

Awarding Athletics Aid to a Senior Prospective Student-Athlete who will Graduate and Enroll Midyear (I)

The academic and membership affairs staff determined that a prospective student-athlete who intends to graduate from high school midyear and enroll at a member institution midyear during the same academic year (e.g., spring semester) may sign an institutional financial aid agreement on or after August 1 of his or her senior year, provided the institution issuing the financial aid agreement establishes, prior to issuing the agreement, that the prospective student-athlete is enrolled in all coursework necessary to graduate from high school at midyear.

Think this one kind of speaks for itself, especially with the rise of early enroll candidates with each passing year. We'll see how many kids out there actually take advantage of the rule, but I imagine this could be a particular boon to out-of-state kids fearing in-state pressure. At the very least, it's going to provide a very telling litmus test as to the actual legitimacy of any verbal commitment from an early enroll candidate.

Think of this new rule this way: Were it applicable now, kids like Cam Robinson and C.J. Hampton could sign a letter of intent today, and have their recruitment all over with.

Next question, then, becomes when do we see some similar rule change for normal end-of-year signees? Also, does this early signing period legislation help walk-back a lot of other NCAA legislation in recent years limiting early contact with prospective recruits?
    Last edited by BigEasyTider; October 18th, 2013 at 10:06 AM.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: New NCAA Legislation: Early Signing Period for Early Enroll Prospects

I posted this on the football board but probably should have done so here.

I noticed it says on a financial agreement and not a NLI. How does that affect the player? Can he still sign somewhere else? Or does the financial agreement come into play once the player is enrolled?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

THis is great news. Does this go into effect next year or has it passed as a rule yet? I think this is the direction college sports needs to go. Kids are being recruited a lot earlier, so they are ready to make decisions earlier. Hopefully, this will take the pressure off them a little if they go ahead and sign a letter of promise.

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

This is a great idea for kids that are 100% sure about the college of their choice ,so they can focus on there senior year in school both in the class and on the field. On the other hand if they are not 100% sure I hope coaches will not use this to pressure them to sign when they are not ready to.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

This is only for midyear enrollees but I do think this is a welcomed change.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

These tweets are from Hunter Paniagua, a LSU recruiting analyst for Scout.com.

Based on this NCAA interpretation, the Financial Aid Agreements could become an even bigger recruiting tool

In that horrible legalese, the NCAA states that only the first school to sign a FAA gets unrestricted contact with that prospect
    Could be a big factor in cases of uncommitted prospects that plan to enroll early and make a late decision
    For example, Hootie Jones signed FAAs with both LSU and Alabama and had unlimited contact with both leading up to his announcement
    According to this interpretation, only LSU would have had unlimited contact because he signed a FAA with them first
    Last edited by RTR91; January 10th, 2014 at 03:25 PM.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

FB | REC Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    In that horrible legalese, the NCAA states that only the first school to sign a FAA gets unrestricted contact with that prospect
    Could be a big factor in cases of uncommitted prospects that plan to enroll early and make a late decision
    For example, Hootie Jones signed FAAs with both LSU and Alabama and had unlimited contact with both leading up to his announcement
    According to this interpretation, only LSU would have had unlimited contact because he signed a FAA with them first
    This whole deal has just turned into a muddled fiasco, hence why we even need such legislative interpretations less than three months after the legislation was passed.

Initially this was sold as a true early-signing rule for early enroll candidates. As adopted, however, it was nothing of the sort, and instead was not in any way binding on the prospective student-athlete (only binding on the school to keep his spot). This, of course, meant that kids would sign these financial aid agreement with every school legitimately pursuing them, such that they were rendered meaningless to the school.

In fact, a few kids out there have signed four and five agreements with different schools, and even typical kids (like Hootie) sign two or three. The practical impact of this has simply been that, for early enroll candidates, all NCAA rules in place regarding contact with prospective student athletes are basically thrown in the garbage bin and made meaningless. Kids just sign with everyone under serious consideration, get their spot locked in, and then it's basically the Wild Wild West in their recruitment.

And as for this new "interpretation," I have no idea how this will work, given that kids routinely just sign a big batch of these and send them out at the same time. Hard to say there is really a "first" signature in that respect. Just more of a muddled mess. Lot of schools will claim that their financial aid agreement was first, and in those cases how is the NCAA going to make a determination? The NCAA certainly doesn't know right now.

Simple solution here is to just have a true early signing period for early enroll prospects. Chances of that actually happening? I'll let you guys figure that one out.
    Last edited by BigEasyTider; January 10th, 2014 at 03:31 PM.

BamaNation First Team Special K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasyTider View Post
    This whole deal has just turned into a muddled fiasco, hence why we even need such legislative interpretations less than three months after the legislation was passed.

Initially this was sold as a true early-signing rule for early enroll candidates. As adopted, however, it was nothing of the sort, and instead was not in any way binding on the prospective student-athlete (only binding on the school to keep his spot). This, of course, meant that kids would sign these financial aid agreement with every school legitimately pursuing them, such that they were rendered meaningless to the school.

In fact, a few kids out there have signed four and five agreements with different schools, and even typical kids (like Hootie) sign two or three. The practical impact of this has simply been that, for early enroll candidates, all NCAA rules in place regarding contact with prospective student athletes are basically thrown in the garbage bin and made meaningless. Kids just sign with everyone under serious consideration, get their spot locked in, and then it's basically the Wild Wild West in their recruitment.

And as for this new "interpretation," I have no idea how this will work, given that kids routinely just sign a big batch of these and send them out at the same time. Hard to say there is really a "first" signature in that respect. Just more of a muddled mess. Lot of schools will claim that their financial aid agreement was first, and in those cases how is the NCAA going to make a determination? The NCAA certainly doesn't know right now.

Simple solution here is to just have a true early signing period for early enroll prospects. Chances of that actually happening? I'll let you guys figure that one out.
    Yeah, when I read this my first thought was "If I kid signs the agreement with two schools on the same date, how do you prove who was first?".
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    These tweets are from Hunter Paniagua, a LSU recruiting analyst for Scout.com.

So how does one school know whether they were thefirst to sign the kid?

One school could lie to the other and say they received a fax earlier thann they really did. I guess the schools would have to fax each other a copy of the Transmission Report..............

You thought faxes were no longer relevant, didn't you?