Question: CB Jalen Tabor De-Commits from Arizona, Plans to Enroll at Florida

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: CB Jalen Tabor commits to Arizona

I think you see just how big the Joe Haden-wannabe influence was here. That's what drove him to Arizona in the first place, and that's what is behind the closing days flip to Florida. Hate that we didn't get him, but it is what it is. RTO is right, this one is just a mess.

Biggest takeaway here is that this flip just underscores how strange and mind-numbing some of the school selection criteria is for many kids. "Oh my favorite player's little brother is going to a middle of the road Pac-12 program 2,600 miles away? Guess I'll go there too. Oh wait, nevermind, I'll just go to where my favorite player went to school four years ago under a different head coach. I mean, yeah, it's a 1,000 miles and a 12-hour car ride there, and they went 4-8 last year and their head coach is likely getting fired next season, but man, I want to be just like Joe Haden. That guy is so awesome."

Sometimes you can't even begin to fathom this stuff...

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

It's times like these that drive the point home that recruiting is all about dealing with young 18 year old adolescent boys. Not dissing Tabor by any means but, for peat's sake man make an informed decision and stick with it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

It's times like these that drive the point home that recruiting is all about dealing with young 18 year old adolescent boys. Not dissing Tabor by any means but, for peat's sake man make an informed decision and stick with it.
Most kids don't make informed decisions about much of anything. So it doesn't surprise me how a lot of these recruits act. It wouldn't shock me if we found out many recruits choose a school over another because their helmets are better looking.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

Most kids don't make informed decisions about much of anything. So it doesn't surprise me how a lot of these recruits act. It wouldn't shock me if we found out many recruits choose a school over another because their helmets are better looking.
This is where (good) parents should come in and provide the proper guidance, evaluation, and just plain common sense. Problem is, a lot of the parents are either MIA or they make it all about them and are worse than the kids.

Exhibit A: Landon Collins' mom

Last edited:

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013

I think you see just how big the Joe Haden-wannabe influence was here. That's what drove him to Arizona in the first place, and that's what is behind the closing days flip to Florida. Hate that we didn't get him, but it is what it is. RTO is right, this one is just a mess.

Biggest takeaway here is that this flip just underscores how strange and mind-numbing some of the school selection criteria is for many kids. "Oh my favorite player's little brother is going to a middle of the road Pac-12 program 2,600 miles away? Guess I'll go there too. Oh wait, nevermind, I'll just go to where my favorite player went to school four years ago under a different head coach. I mean, yeah, it's a 1,000 miles and a 12-hour car ride there, and they went 4-8 last year and their head coach is likely getting fired next season, but man, I want to be just like Joe Haden. That guy is so awesome."

Sometimes you can't even begin to fathom this stuff...
I must admit this year has been the CRAZIEST I have seen in my years of following football recruiting. I think the Joe Haden thing did play a part in his decision but I also think playing time did as well. Remember when he committed to Arizona, he said that him being "an immediate spark" was a factor. I dont think that it's coincidental, that after Marcus Roberson announces that he is leaving for the NFL that Tabor flips to the Gators. His mindset was probably, "Hey, who besides Vernon Hargreaves do they really have now at corner? I can go to Florida see immediate playing time and get to play where Joe Haden plays. Yea, the coaching staff is on the hot seat, but if they get fired, it's still Florida and they will find a good replacement. So why should I go to a middle of the road Pac-12 team when I can just go play here?" This is sadly what recruiting is becoming for alot of these prospects. Im not knocking Tabor because at the end of the day it is his decision and he has to live with it for 3-5 years, but it makes you start to wonder are these guys just playing games or are they serious about this. He had recently said in an interview that he dropped Florida because of the uncertainty with the coaching staff but now that they lose their top corner that aspect doesnt apply? Interesting if I must say so myself....

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I must admit this year has been the CRAZIEST I have seen in my years of following football recruiting. I think the Joe Haden thing did play a part in his decision but I also think playing time did as well. Remember when he committed to Arizona, he said that him being "an immediate spark" was a factor. I dont think that it's coincidental, that after Marcus Roberson announces that he is leaving for the NFL that Tabor flips to the Gators. His mindset was probably, "Hey, who besides Vernon Hargreaves do they really have now at corner? I can go to Florida see immediate playing time and get to play where Joe Haden plays. Yea, the coaching staff is on the hot seat, but if they get fired, it's still Florida and they will find a good replacement. So why should I go to a middle of the road Pac-12 team when I can just go play here?" This is sadly what recruiting is becoming for alot of these prospects. Im not knocking Tabor because at the end of the day it is his decision and he has to live with it for 3-5 years, but it makes you start to wonder are these guys just playing games or are they serious about this. He had recently said in an interview that he dropped Florida because of the uncertainty with the coaching staff but now that they lose their top corner that aspect doesnt apply? Interesting if I must say so myself....
Two points:

(1) Unfortunately it seems like each passing recruiting season is even crazier than the last. The constant attention, media coverage, and explosion of social media has just turned this longstanding carnival into a bona fide three-ring circus.

(2) Doubt playing time was much of a factor for him at the end of the day, just because he could have gotten early playing time in Tuscaloosa, too.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

It might have been the best that we DIDN'T get him now... Weird!
I don't know, we've had mixed results with the weird ones. Brent Calloway was certainly a bust but Cyrus turned out alright. We will have to wait and see how Rueben turns out but so far 2 out of 3 aint bad.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus

Flipped during the Dead Period, huh? Makes one wonder about any influence from Joe Hayden. Heck, I wouldn't even put it past Urban Meyer via Hayden. "Anywhere but Bama."

CNS is supposed to love recruiting, but I don't why. I could never do it. I basically stopped liking teens after mine hit that age.

BirminghamBAMA

1st Team
Dec 29, 2013

Two points:

(1) Unfortunately it seems like each passing recruiting season is even crazier than the last. The constant attention, media coverage, and explosion of social media has just turned this longstanding carnival into a bona fide three-ring circus.

(2) Doubt playing time was much of a factor for him at the end of the day, just because he could have gotten early playing time in Tuscaloosa, too.
I agree with you with that its seems like each year recruiting gets crazier and crazier, and that he also could have gotten early playing time in T-town. I just think that if you like at our roster and Florida's and compared the two, the route to easier playing time would be at Flordia. Yes, our secondary was a weakness, but we have Eddie Jackson (who had a some good games during the season as only a true freshmen), Maurice Smith (who was a contributor on special teams as a true freshmen), Jonathan Cook, Cyrus Jones (yes, he didnt have a good year, but he will have experience and another year of coaching under his belt), Bradley Sylve (who was really hampered by injuries this year), Jabriel Washington (Its still up in the air if he will ever become a factor), Tony Brown (who is an early enrollee and will compete for playing time) and possibly Marlon Humphrey. Now take those players and compare that situation to Vernon Hargreaves and pretty much a toss up after him including them not bringing in an elite CB prospect this cycle and Bama possibly bringing in two, I think that and the Hayden factor is why Florida was the choice.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I don't know if Bama was really ever in it. Either Bama told him we didn't have room for him or he got a read on Humphrey and realized there was too much competition. Would love to have him, but if it was between Bama and Arizona, and didn't want to go to Arizona, then logical sense says he comes to Bama. Hard to believe his man crush on Joe Haden sends him to Florida. Of course, it isn't Monday yet. he still might change again.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.