You can make one change for the good of College Football?

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Fairly wide parameters, but remember its for the good of College level Football as a whole and not just the benefit of Alabama :D

You can make one change, what would it be?

For myself, I'd go for a greatly increased post-season culminating in a NCG. At least the top 8 teams competing but preferably 16, I still cant get my head round the level of influence opinion has on who gets the opportunity to become National Champions.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Reverse all the rules about defenseless players and within that rule change the rules that have hampered defenses to the point that we have glorified arena football.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Don't get me started on that, one sport with two different sets of rules :D

PS genuine LOL there, I expected the first reply to be on HUNH
OK, sixth reply is.

Equalize substitution rules. Both teams get an opportunity to substitute after each down. If either does, the opponent gets 5 seconds to respond. Institute a minimum, as well as maximum, time between snaps.

Without the current substitution rules that are incredibly biased against the defense, the whole premise underlying the HUNH disintegrates like the Republican Guard against an M1A1 Abrams.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
If targeting gets overturned, overturn the 15 yard penalty as well. Don't give a team 15 free yards and a first down.

Sounds like common sense doesn't it?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Like one of the previous posters, I'm for just about any rule change that swings some of the advantage back to the defensive side of the ball. It seems that just about every rule change in the last 15-20 years has benefited offensives to induce more scoring. I quit watching the NBA because defense turned into "waving" at the guy as he went past you or hacking him at the rim.

D-line play has gotten killed by liberalization of use the hands on O-line. D-backs get muscled out of the way (and pushed off) by larger receivers. To me games where the teams combine to score almost a 100 points is of little appeal. Maybe I'm just old.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I'd honestly get rid of the 85 man limit.
I could be persuaded to keep the 25 cap, but not the 85. It is a rule only intended to hold back good programs. It is a detriment to the academic integrity of college football, since kids staying in school hurts your ability to bring in new players. It deincentivizes retention.
Other rule changes would be gravy, but this one gets at the heart of the very idea of intercollegiate athletics.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
6 team playoff still using polls and computers, no committee

#1 bye week and plays winner of #4 vs #5
#2 bye week and plays winner of #3 vs #6

5 Bowls would rotate all the games and Championship.
Example

Fiesta Bowl #3 vs #6 and #3 wins
Cotton Bowl #4 vs #5 and #5 wins

Orange Bowl #2 vs #3 and #3 wins
Sugar Bowl #1 vs #5 and #1 wins

Rose Bowl NCG #1 vs # 3

5 games, all the hos5torical bowls are involved. The extra 2 teams gives a conference #2, like Bama 11, a better shot at getting in. Top 2 teams are given a slight edge which makes season more pertinent.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Honestly, the one thing I would do is get rid of the playoff and eliminate the potential for it to exist in the future. Heck, I'd even institute a 2 vs. 3 with 1 getting a bye game if that would prevent further corruption of what we have now. I mean look at some posts, we have suggestions for a 16! team (because LSU and UCF deserve a shot at the title...) or 32 team playoff. The BCS already diminished the bowls, and this won't end until the regular season, and what I believe makes college football special, is far less important. The Saints lost a huge game in the regular season, and in the end I was like, oh well they still have to win in the playoffs no matter what. The Alabama/Auburn game mattered so much because it actually meant something beyond seeding.

Otherwise, 4Q's suggestion is pretty good, but I'd probably simplify it a bit. I'd just have a minimum amount of time between plays, which would be determined to be minimal time required to make substitutions. So, there's no gaming of the system, just enough time for either team to substitute if they need to. I'd drop that requirement with 2 minutes to go in each half, and revert to current rules.

I think GreatDanish is on the right track to. It's just plain stupid to keep adding games, but not adding players. Injuries do happen, supposedly we care about the health of players, but we pretend they can play more and more games with no adverse consequences. That's absurd. I know going back to 105 would be a radical change, but I'd at least like to see it go to 26/90 and work it's way up from there. Ultimately, 28/100, with the SEC getting rational and upping the signing limit to 30 would be fairly good to me, and by adjusting the limits in that manner, it would eliminate some of the concern with so called over-signing.

Last edited:

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
For myself, I'd go for a greatly increased post-season culminating in a NCG. At least the top 8 teams competing but preferably 16, I still cant get my head round the level of influence opinion has on who gets the opportunity to become National Champions.
I am not in favor of a long playoff system. The season is long enough already...an injury or two in an early playoff game makes you a different team for the bigger games that follow. I like our current system because each team gets to spend time getting healthy and preparing for the big game. I also think having a multiple game playoff makes it more likely that the best team doesn't win a National Championship. When you are facing a team from another conference you haven't seen all year and then maybe only having a week or less to prepare is crazy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.