Will Alabama play Oklahoma like they did Michigan State or Utah?

dmac.2055

BamaNation Citizen
Apr 10, 2011
Muscle Shoals, AL
I hope for an extremely motivated team to send our seniors out the right way on Thursday night.

Opinions?

Also, I love you guys & this forum board! Here's to a great 2013 & a fun filled 2014!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I have confidence that Coach Saban will have our players very motivated for this game. It's been 50 yrs since we've beaten OU and it would be nice to add that feather to our cap, along with Michigan, Mich St, Notre Dame, Texas, Virginia Tech, and Clemson as big OOC wins for the program since Saban got here.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Don't seem like everyone is as fired up as they were against ND last january. Maybe the reason is that we're not playing for all the marbles. Hope I'm wrong, all we can do is have faith in our coaches that they will have the team snot-slinging fired up when it counts.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think the 2008 team's performance was an aberration during Saban's run. They hadn't really experienced that kind of success before, so the Florida loss was completely devastating. They had no clue how to rebound and respond (much less how to deal with the last minute loss of their best lineman).

I think this team understands that the season is not over and the seniors will do an excellent job (as they have all season) making sure this team has its mind right against Oklahoma.

You will see a performance that will more closely resemble that of the 2010 team.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It's true that we played a great game against Mich State. But you also have to remember that they probably didn't want to be there any more than we wanted to be in New Orleans after the 2008 SECCG.

They were tied for the best record in the Big 10, but couldn't go to the Rose Bowl because of tiebreaker rules. The specifics are fuzzy for me, but I seem to recall that it was something other than a head-to-head loss to one of the other teams. Or maybe it was a three-way tie and each of the three had beaten two of the others, but lost to the third.

Whatever the details, MSU felt they were the best team, and were denied the Rose Bowl by some bureaucrats.

So they saw a 3-loss Alabama team, underestimated us, and didn't want to be in Orlando in the first place. We were healthy for the first time all year, and were out to show the world that we were still Alabama. All that combined for an embarrassment for the Spartans.

Not an exact parallel with our own experience with Utah, but close enough to be indicative.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The answer to this question will show what this years team is really made of.
I don't think anyone will know until kickoff. And yes, there seems to be an overall lack of enthusiasm; this is the effect the BCS has had on the bowl games since it's inception. To quote Ricky Bobby's father, "if you ain't first you're last".

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
Go back and look at some of Stoops' comments about the SEC and how unimpressed he is. This is a perfect opportunity to put his money where his mouth is and I'm hoping that he got Coach Saban's undivided attention. I may be wrong but I see an opportune time for a reality check.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Oklahoma is the program that is the most like Alabama with such great tradition and I'm sure our players understand that so getting motivated wont be a problem.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
This is a completely different team than the one that faced Utah. The 2008 team was still not totally Sabanized and suspension of Andre Smith right before the game certainly seemed to knock the team back -- at least for the first quarter of the Utah game.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
This years Oklahoma team is better than 2008 Utah. If we don't come ready to play we will get beat.

CrimsonTut

1st Team
Jul 24, 2000
Franklin, TN
You never can tell. "Meaningless" bowl games are approached in different ways by different players. I always get a kick when the pundits stress that Conference A is 0-4 in bowl games this year and Conference B is 4-0, like it's wholly indicative of how good or bad said conference is.

You could have a star athlete who's already decided he's going into the draft after the game and plays not to get hurt. Some guys may party too much or relax and treat the game as a reward. Back in the day, some coaches would play a lot of younger players in the game to give them experience heading into the new season. General Neyland comes to mind.

Basically, it comes down to players wanting to win. Coaches can do this or that, but it boils down to the player having pride in himself to play the game like it should be played on every down.

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011
...Andre Smith right before the game certainly seemed to knock the team back -- at least for the first quarter of the Utah game.
We also lost Mike Johnson in the 1st Q, who replaced Andre. That quick DE for Utah ate up JPW from the backside all night long. This was a crucial factor in that game.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I don't believe that at all. That was a solid team in 2008. This OK team has serious issues on the offensive side of the ball. Some say it is "offensive".
Yeah, that statement was definitely not very accurate IMO. That Utah team was undefeated all season long and had a few players that went on to play in the NFL IIRC.

This Oklahoma team has 2 embarrassing losses and has looked completely inept at times. I remember watching the Baylor game and thinking Alabama would crush either of those teams. We'll see if that comes true...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.