JessN: Sugar Bowl preview: Tide must ignore waves of disappointment to beat Sooners

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Last edited by a moderator:

Bamanooga

1st Team
Sep 7, 2008
Signal Mountain, TN
Can't wait to see Bama win again. I hurt hope the Auburn loss doesn't affect them as much as it affected me.
Agree with everything you said. Let's put Auburn behind us and use the OU game to springboard into the 2014 National Championship, as Jess said about the Michigan State game and the 2011 NC. Thanks for the analysis, Jess

First Sergeant

Suspended
Jan 17, 2009
We have a bone to pick with these Sooners.....last time we met, they gave us a shulacking(sp?)....I, for one, am looking for some payback:) Roll Tide my friends and Happy New Year!!:cool2:

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Agree completely. I have no idea what Bama team to expect to see on the field. If our heads are in the right place, we should win by multiple scores. But I really feel like we could slog through this one. Here's hoping we see the Tide Roll tomorrow!

RollTideMustang

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2011
Killen, Alabama
www.myyearbook.com
Oh,my! The media really likes to say negative things against Alabama the loss to Auburn the loss to Utah in the sugar bowl. I guess they really want Alabama to lose. I hope Alabama just rip Okl apart on Defense & Offense. I believe we can & Saban rarely make the same mistake twice.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Come on folks! Since 08 has a Bama team played like they didn't care AND weren't prepared? Lack of execution is one thing but some of the things I've heard are patently ridiculous. Even in 2010 they were prepared and fought but inexperience cost them in three games. This is not the 2008 team and these team leaders are LEADERS. I see no chance that they'll play like they don't want to be there. NONE!!! Roll Tide!!!!

TiderInTally

Scout Team
May 4, 2005
LA (Lower Alabama)
Jess,

First, much respect. Your previews are thoughtful, well-written, exhaustively researched, and almost eerily accurate most of the time. I hope this one is too. I also hope that my comments will not get me tossed off this board, but after thinking about it for a couple of days, I do have to take issue with one single, solitary subordinate clause you wrote:

"Were this game being played for something actually meaningful ...."

I understand where you were coming from - believe me. Bad enough that Alabama fans (and team and coaches) saw conference/national championship hopes evaporate at a single stroke. Making the pill especially bitter: losing THAT game, to THAT team, THAT way. And the dawning prospect of having to listen to a lifetime of "Kick Bama Kick" and similar nonsense.

But a Sugar Bowl ring, when the team is 11-1 and playing another storied program like Oklahoma no less, is a heckuva consolation prize. And, I submit, "actually meaningful". To hold otherwise embodies the type of attitude that led to Mrs. Saban's comments to the Wall Street Journal back around Thanksgiving.

I, for one, hope that this game (and yes, even this year's Iron Bowl) will help check an almost tangible sense of complacent entitlement in the Alabama fanbase, a motivational reminder that we cannot take anything for granted, year-in and year-out, no matter how good things have been lately. In the words of Lord Saban, "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.