Link: Gus to the Cleveland Browns? (Seriously)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Regarding this "figuring out" Gus's offense: they averaged 40.2 ppg this season.

For 59 minutes, they had 21 on us.

And don't forget that six at the end came on special teams, not offense.

In 2010, they averaged 43 - we held them to 28.

Both times, our defense held then 15 and 12 points below their scoring average. We lost both games NOT because of their great offense but because of our failure to execute some critical plays - leaving points on the board (as every Tide fan reading this relives that Ingram fumble down the sidelines).

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
4) Why would Malzahn want to do this?

This is another thing. Unlike Spurrier (who had played in the NFL and coached in the USFL) or Saban (who had been on Belichick's staff with the Browns), Malzahn does not have NFL experience...
In one of the articles, Malzahn was referred to as having "limited NFL experience". :rolleyes:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Folks, he doesn't have it "made" on the Plains.

Go look at what Auburn has done - far quicker than us with the exception of DuBose - to their coaches right after accomplishment.

Barfield followed an 8-3 with a losing record and got tossed.
Dye - I'll leave it alone because the Ramsey sanctions were the main reason.
Bowden - was basically fired six games after winning the West
Tuberville - fired after one losing season
Chizik - fired two years after a national title

If Malzahn wins it all, he needs to get the heck out of Opelika. If he doesn't, he still might want to consider it. For all the ink spilled about our head coaches, we at least give them a fair shake.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Nobody, in their right mind is "scared" of Gus staying at the Barn, but here's why it would be good for us if he leaves:

1. The Barners would go into melt down knowing he's the one who has gotten them to the big game the two times they've recently gotten there.

2. Who are they going to get to replace him that is better than him??? It would certainly hurt their program for him to leave and for that reason it would be good for Bama!!

3. Did I mention the Barners would go into meltdown mode???

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I hope Gus stays at Auburn. I'd hate to think we're to the point where we think our success or lack there of hinges on a coach at Auburn staying or leaving.
Bingo!

He should interview if Sexton recommends it but at this point in his career he shouldn't consider a jump to the NFL. Take the Short Horns gig if it's offered although I prefer him to be at the barn for a few more years to give Bama an opportunity to even or better the series with CGM.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Nobody, in their right mind is "scared" of Gus staying at the Barn, but here's why it would be good for us if he leaves:

1. The Barners would go into melt down knowing he's the one who has gotten them to the big game the two times they've recently gotten there.

2. Who are they going to get to replace him that is better than him??? It would certainly hurt their program for him to leave and for that reason it would be good for Bama!!

I agree with all of that. It's just I think some folks are seeing this with Crimson glasses.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Not me. I want him to stay because we've already got a stigma (within our own fanbase as well) that we can't beat Auburn unless they are awful. I want to disprove that. I want to manhandle them WITH Gus. That way the meltdown will be worse.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Correct. It is not working out so well for RGIII this year and sure did not end well for Daunte Culpepper and he was not even in this type of offense.

Steve Young said it best...It is the QB's job to distribute the ball to the play makers on offense. Once the QB crosses the line of scrimmage, all bets are off.
Reading the comments above, I'm not sure how you can run Gus's offense without involving the QB heavily as a potential ball carrier. That's really the heart of the offense. OTOH, when Gus was at Tulsa, he was the Co-OC, in charge of the passing game. The other OC was in charge of the running game. The HC there made the remark that, if Gus were in charge of both phases, "He'd be slinging it all over the lot every play," so I think this year's offense is just Gus working with the personnel he has. If he gets a QB who can really throw, he'll probably revert to a different offense...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not me. I want him to stay because we've already got a stigma (within our own fanbase as well) that we can't beat Auburn unless they are awful. I want to disprove that. I want to manhandle them WITH Gus. That way the meltdown will be worse.
I agree. I'd rather that he stayed also...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Reading the comments above, I'm not sure how you can run Gus's offense without involving the QB heavily as a potential ball carrier. That's really the heart of the offense. OTOH, when Gus was at Tulsa, he was the Co-OC, in charge of the passing game. The other OC was in charge of the running game. The HC there made the remark that, if Gus were in charge of both phases, "He'd be slinging it all over the lot every play," so I think this year's offense is just Gus working with the personnel he has. If he gets a QB who can really throw, he'll probably revert to a different offense...
Yep. His HS team played Evangel here in Shreveport when Gus had Mitch Mustain. Air raid all over the place. If Nick Marshall could pass it would be the same.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Just to be clear....Gus would a fool NOT to take an NFL contract. No matter what happens, colleges will hire him when he's fired and he'll have NFL money in his pocket.

As to him and/or Manziel....too many people allow their personal taste/dislike for those 2 to cloud their judgment about their talent and ability. A personal opinion of their character is irrelevant when discussing their actual ability. Say what you want about luck or anything else but Gus is coaching in the BCSCG and Manziel just had one heck of a final performance and he's been the most exciting and dyanmic player in the country for 2 years.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Second, barring some sort of crazy fall in status (or weird draft moves) Manziel will never make it to Dallas to be ale to pick.
Correct.

At least 4 teams in the top 10 will be looking to draft a QB...so unless several people grade out way better, his intangible will put him in that first group to go. Now...the Cowboys, theoretically, could trade up for him.
Not Jerruh's MO. He trades down, almost every time. He would rather have a larger cache of mediocre players.

That is a WASTE of a pick and kinda damning to them from a public pov. Romo is still young, and signed long term.
He has also had 2 back surgeries, in recent past. The fact a back-up, who has not started in a year or two, played as well (and also as bad) as Romo would have, leads one, who does not have their head up their posterior, that they need to draft a young QB, and groom him.

But, Jerruh is an idiot. He will draft someone who will be out of the league in 3 years. In any case, it will not be Johnnie Hancock, as Jerruh's ego will not let someone else upstage him for media attention.

You draft JM and the minute anything goes wrong people will want to see him...you don't want to turn your fanbse against you anymore by keeping him on the bench, and you can't pull out tony romo for him (i hate the Cowboys, but that would be absurd)...so you have effectively wasted a draft.
Jerruh wastes draft picks, all the time. He doesn't care about what the fan base thinks. If he did, he would hire a real GM, and get out of the way.

No, Jerruh only cares what Jerruh thinks. If he thinks he will look like a football genius, by yanking Romo, and forcing his puppet HC to play someone else, he will do it in a flash.

Now, as for Xbox Gus....................

He coaches at API, so by default, I hate him. Cleveland is a dysfunctional franchise, and a horrible place to live. Coupled with the fact the API fambly would have a meltdown, all factors considered, it would be hilarious.

One can only wish. Not because of any impact it may have on us. For the meltdown on the plains. Anything that makes the fair-weather fambly put all their ugly jerseys back in the closet can't be all bad.

Now, are they stupid enough to do it? Run by a scumbag from UcheaT, he might look at it how it helps both of his teams. Probably not, but look to Dallas and DC to see how franchises run by rich idiots function.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
I guess we tend to forget Gus had Mitch Mustain in HS and he was definitely not known for his running ability. He was suppose to be one of the better arms in that recruiting class. I believe Gus is definitely smart enough to be competitive but I can not attest if he is a stubborn sort as it pertains to his offensive philosophy when adjusting to the NFL culture (like Spurrier).

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
i don't think the Spurrier vs Malzahn argument is even reasonable. Everyone knows, or if you don't you should, that one of SPurriers biggest undoings in Washington (aside from it being the Redskins, look at them) was the fact he wasn't built to be an NFL Coach. The work required is typically what most of us would say is Sabanesque, and Spurrier would rather be playing golf when at all possible. Malzahn, by all accounts I have heard from people fairly close to the *U program, is much the hard worker... He's a smart guy, he's innovative enough on offense (imo) that he won't put a qb in dange, and I think at SOME POINT he could make a good coach at the next level...I just don't think it is now...

i don't think he leaves the plains at all, as a matter of fact...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
i don't think the Spurrier vs Malzahn argument is even reasonable. Everyone knows, or if you don't you should, that one of SPurriers biggest undoings in Washington (aside from it being the Redskins, look at them) was the fact he wasn't built to be an NFL Coach. The work required is typically what most of us would say is Sabanesque, and Spurrier would rather be playing golf when at all possible. Malzahn, by all accounts I have heard from people fairly close to the *U program, is much the hard worker... He's a smart guy, he's innovative enough on offense (imo) that he won't put a qb in dange, and I think at SOME POINT he could make a good coach at the next level...I just don't think it is now...

i don't think he leaves the plains at all, as a matter of fact...

One of the odd things I've heard about Gus is that he's an introvert. But if you look at him on the sidelines he looks quite the opposite.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.