13 weirdest place names in Alabama: Submit your own list (Odd Travels with photos)

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Brilliant used to be called Boston. Around this area (Marion/Walker/Winston Counties) we have a Detroit, Houston, Kansas, and Little Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is still a small area there called Boston, the Boston Cemetery. If you go north a little ways, you'll hit Goldmine.

I knew a guy in college that was from Slapout.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
yall have fun. its been a couple of years since i have been able to get out to sipsey on my visits. i miss that place. should be really nice now with all of the water.

Although I have never attended, my dads family has their annual family reunion at Sipsey, near Pine Torch church. I also have a great great grandfather buried at the cemetry in Moreland, documented he sired 53 offspring.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Oneonta is a weird one only because no one who has lived there their entire life knows how to pronounce it correctly.
So people who lived there their entire lives can't pronounce the town they live in?
Ahn-E-ahntuh is how we in Blount County pronounce it.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Here's one I find a little strange.

In southern Cullman Co. on AL Hwy 91, not to awful far from Bug Tussle that was mentioned above, there is a community of black people. In generations past, the community was referred to as "The N-word Colony". If someone said it, you knew exactly the spot on the map where they were speaking of. Some time in my lifetime the folks in the area decided to incorporate into a town and elect a mayor. They chose the name of the town as "Colony" which I simply don't get. There's an exit on I-65 bearing the name, it's exit 291. I think the town ran in to some financial troubles within the last couple years and have shut down the town offices.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I 2nd "Slapout." My brother & fam lived there a few years before moving to the big city of Prattville. ;)

I've always liked "Opp: the City of Opportunity" down in SE AL. (Mom grew up in Enterprise not too far away.)

And then there's "Dutch Bend"...the wilds of Lowndes County. Dad grew up in that area. Been a while, but IIRC, the directions to Dutch Bend are similar to Jerry Clower's directions to Liberty, MS (paraphrased here): "Drive 20 miles on highway ##, and slam on brakes; you're in downtown Liberty." :biggrin2: Allegedly, Hank Williams Sr. once played there in the store/restaurant/swimming hole/hangout place (again, a very small community).

And moving next door to my adopted state, 2 faves: "Hot Coffee, MS" (not far from Magee ~50 miles from here), and "D'Lo" south of Jackson on 49. Allegedly, D'Lo is a shortened version of what the engineers used to call it back in the day--"that [dang] low spot where we have a whistle."

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
that is the correct story. I heard it my whole life.
And, in a similar vein, want to guess where former Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciapara's first name came from? Nomar has an older brother who was named Nomar, Jr. after their father. Nomar is Ramon spelled backwards.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
So people who lived there their entire lives can't pronounce the town they live in?
Ahn-E-ahntuh is how we in Blount County pronounce it.
oh nee own ta is how i heard it. I had teachers that pronounced it that way.

apparently there is a city in New York with that name and that is how they pronounce it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's interesting that a place in MS was named after the Latin name for Scotland.
It was actually named after an allegedly beautiful girl.

It was settled by the Egger family (only it was spelled Yegger back in the early 19th century). They called it Yeggerstown, but one of the Yeggers saw a beautiful girl out on the road one morning, and her name was Caledonia.

And that - honest to God - is how it got its name.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
True story (since we're on funny names)

December 23, 1978. A Saturday evening. We've just driven in from Rantoul, Illinois in a 1970 Chevelle to see my grandparents in Lanett. We sit down and watch the Tangerine Bowl (I think it was NC State playing, and my uncle lived/lives in NC). My grandmother worked the West Point Pepperell mill for years so she was hard of hearing. She was also one of those of those wide bodies (not overly fat but plump) who blocked the TV view trying to figure out what was on.

She asked something like 3 or 4 times who was playing. My uncle told her. She came in again a few minutes later and asked once again who's playing.

My uncle said, "Lochopoka and Notasulga," being a smart ash who was tired of the question. At which my point my grandmother says, "Oh, so who's winning?" (My mother in the corner about lost it).

Mom has told that story now for 35 years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.