Mark Richt's future at GA

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
First, let me say I cant imagine a better individual to have as the face of you organization than Richt. But, if you look at his record and only his record there is no reason for GA to continue with Mark Richt. In the past 5 years (8-5, 6-7, 10-4, 12-2, 8-5). So, in 3 out of the last 5 years Georgia has lost 4 or more games. Unexplainable with talent they have recruited. Sure, they had injuries this year and some unbelievable bad luck (AU fluke, Senior TE dropping potential game winning TD in Gator Bowl)....but, unless they are satisfied with mediocrity I can't see a reason why they would stay the course.

He actually would be a perfect fit for Texas...Richt's demeanor and laid back style is very "Mack Brown like".

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I think Richt would be stupid to take the Texas job, and UGA would be stupid to let him go. After all, it's not like Georgia has a history of winning championships...

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
he is (fortunately) not going anywhere. The UGA Faithful love him, I have no idea why
I have had several tell me "Mark Richt is the most morally upright coach in college football." I don't know what that has to do with winning games. It sure doesn't keep his player arrests & suspensions down.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
He gets a good DC it will help.

Team has no displine they get bad penalties all the time & get in more fights than any team.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He will go to Texas and they will hire Nick Saban. He has a lake home there so he obviously likes the state. He'll take UGA alum Smart along with him as coach in waiting.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I thought the job he did this year was excellent. At one point he had lost his top two running backs and all his starting wide receivers and still managed a decent season.
Imagine us in 2009 if both Mark and Trent had gone down, and Julio, Maze, and Hanks were all out with injuries.
It would have been difficult to say the least.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He's a good coach, but he's not great. He'll always win more than he loses and occasionally break through with a SEC championship level team. He routinely allows us to raid his state for his best recruits.

I hope he is at Georgia for many years to come.

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Richt is difficult to pin down. I think he's a good enough coach that you need to have a definitive upgrade ready to take the job before you let him go. You can do better, but you could also do A LOT worse.

That said, I think he is in a place where it will be difficult to implement the culture change needed to take UGA to the next level, and it's possible BOTH parties would be better off if he moved on.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Hard to see them making a move. Can't think of anyone readily available to do a better job than he's done. And in honesty, judging him off of this season when they had so many injuries to literally every key player they had, it's tough.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I thought the job he did this year was excellent. At one point he had lost his top two running backs and all his starting wide receivers and still managed a decent season.
Imagine us in 2009 if both Mark and Trent had gone down, and Julio, Maze, and Hanks were all out with injuries.
It would have been difficult to say the least.
And Amari Cooper and Norwood

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Hard to see them making a move. Can't think of anyone readily available to do a better job than he's done. And in honesty, judging him off of this season when they had so many injuries to literally every key player they had, it's tough.
I don't judge him by this season. I judge him by the entire career, I'd have fired him years ago.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
nobody seems to want him either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.