Mark Richt's future at GA

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Richt's program management is reminiscent of his Miami and Florida State roots. Elite talent with minimal discipline. Schematically, he's a very good quarterback coach and a sound offensive mind. His decency as a human being is also well-documented. But he will be a perpetual 9-3 / 10-2 type coach on the high end, with the occasional drop-off to a 7-5 type season. His teams are just too undisciplined and they don't emphasize defense or strength and conditioning with the same tenacity as top-level programs.

This is good enough for most programs, and apparently UGA falls into that category. I'm not sure that there's much drive from the administration or alumni / boosters to move beyond it. UGA is a strange bird....they've got a massive stadium, excellent facilities, a huge alumni base, access to recruiting hotbeds and ample financial resources. All the key cogs for a successful elite-level football program. But they've never been a consistent player on the national scene , and they really could only qualify as maybe the fourth or fifth best program historically in the SEC (there's a lot of room for argument).
unfortunately for uga, richt apologists often fail to realize that human decency and success are not mutually exclusive.

and i just wanted to bold that last bit of your statement for emphasis ;)

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
On the negative side, I think this is the second season in a row that the 'dawgs have lost their bowl game. On the positive side, at least the 'dawgs were invited to play in the last two bowl seasons.
There are a lot of other FBS schools that can't remember the last time their school's team went to a bowl game.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
On the negative side, I think this is the second season in a row that the 'dawgs have lost their bowl game. On the positive side, at least the 'dawgs were invited to play in the last two bowl seasons.
There are a lot of other FBS schools that can't remember the last time their school's team went to a bowl game.
They won last years bowl.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
Georgia is a very tolerant program compared to Alabama, we have little in common with them, and I have no reason to dislike them. As long as Vince Dooley is alive and Mark is running the program with integrity, has them in the hunt most years, and beats his rivals 50% of the time, he is not going anywhere.

Look at Vince Dooley's record, who is their icon. He averaged about 7-8 wins a year, with several 6-5's before closing his career with Herschel.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Not much to add here. This year had potential but injuries plagued his team. They just came off back to back 10 win seasons. Idk who they could get that would be better. Not a lot of proven head coaches out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.