Link: Give Florida State and Auburn their due, but Alabama still best team

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
By the way, speaking of Florida State and Auburn, and Alabama, did anyone catch Jeremy Pruitt at today's press conference for the NC game? He stated that they learned a lot from Alabama's defense in our game vs. Auburn but when he asked Kirby Smart for help, Kirby turned him down.
You can file that under "Reaping what you have sown."

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
I'm a big believer of you are what your record says your are. *u beat us this year so I cannot say that we have the best team this year. I understand what the article is saying but I feel like playing your best on game day and winning also holds value.
I agree, it boils down to the fact we lost on the field. Opinions don't matter much when you can't win it on the field. Heck, I thought we had one of the best teams in 2010 even after we lost 3 games, but the fact remains that we lost 3 games. Hopefully this will be another one of those motivators for next year that we had after UF/Utah 2008 and AU in 2010.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I remember when Jimmy Johnson first appeared on NFL Fox pregame they were discussing several teams. I can't remember who they were but it was basically a similar scenario to where even though one team lost they were still considered the "best team". Jimmy popped off real quick something to the extent (grossly paraphrasing here) "Having the best team doesn't mean anything. Being the best team ON THAT DAY is what matters." Ever since hearing him say that I can't help but think of it when discussions like this come up.
There are quite a few on here who continuously play the "auburn card", by saying that auburn didn't beat us we beat ourselves. People make fun of auburn or any team that we beat when the opposition says "Alabama didn't beat us, we beat ourselves" yet we turn right around and say the same thing, I suppose there are a lot of short memories on here.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
There are quite a few on here who continuously play the "auburn card", by saying that auburn didn't beat us we beat ourselves. People make fun of auburn or any team that we beat when the opposition says "Alabama didn't beat us, we beat ourselves" yet we turn right around and say the same thing, I suppose there are a lot of short memories on here.
Totally agree. I still hate to this day that after the 92 championship, some FSU fans reminded me how they were the better team and that they should have won the NC. They did have solid, great team but wizzed away their chances against Miami in a close game. Same thing here. We have a great team, that should be playing for the NC but we wizzed away our chances and the control of our destiny down on the plains. All the spoils go to the victor and that's the way it should be.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
Meh, I understand where he's coming from but the most important thing is to be the best team on that day and we failed to do that. We made too many mistakes and Auburn made the big plays when they needed them. Personally, as a Bama fan it comes across as sour grapes to continue say we're the best team in the country when Auburn at the most critical and pressured times throughout their season made the plays to win the games that were the most important and we didn't. We definitely have the better talent, no doubt. But having the better players doesn't automatically translate into having the better team.
The biggest thing I will miss in a playoff structure is perfection in the regular season, which has obviously worked for decades, and don't want to see any 2 loss NC's. If they go to anything larger than 6 teams, that could happen.

Bama is not the NC in because we got beat by a 10+ underdog, and did not have the defense to stop them. Part may have been a little arrogance, but I am excited to see what they plan to do about it!

Isn't FSU a couple more points favorite than we were? But, if we had beaten Auburn and Missouri, I think it would have started Bama +3 and dwindled down to a pick-em.

BamaGunner

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 6, 2011
Hoover, Al
Our weaknesses in the OL and defensive backfield became glaringly obvious again. And who here thinks that we had better learn how to defend dual threat QBs and up tempo offenses because the cat is out of the bag now.

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011
I thought the same before last night. No way they are the best. Against Utah, motivation was the issue. Against OU, the guys were motivated, just outplayed and out-schemed on both sides of the ball.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Talk about bad timing. Any argument about Bama being the "best team" was pretty well incinerated in the Super Dome last night. FSU would pick that Bama secondary apart, particularly with the lack of consistent pass rush. Auburn and FSU will rightfully play for the title Monday night and it should be a fun game to watch despite the revulsion I feel for both teams!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Going into the OU game I believed that Alabama had the best team in America. I mean, you clearly have more talent than any other team, as well as the best coaching staff. But this team is not the best in America. It couldn't come together down the stretch.

I have no idea why and won't beat myself up wondering. Time to move on.

Roll Tide!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree Derek, OU played inspired football, their game plan was spot on and they continually kept the pressure on. Hats off to the Sooners.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think this was evident early on in the season. The offensive line started out struggling to run block and then in the end it was pass blocking that did us in. I think we never really found an identity on offense and got by on talent alone. On Defense the same problems of substituting packages against the HUNH came into play along with the lack of big pass rusher. The development of the recruiting classes and talent is what we got through the season on.

Going into the OU game I believed that Alabama had the best team in America. I mean, you clearly have more talent than any other team, as well as the best coaching staff. But this team is not the best in America. It couldn't come together down the stretch.

I have no idea why and won't beat myself up wondering. Time to move on.

Roll Tide!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.