End to one of the strangest years I can remember

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I might be the only one that thinks this but this year has been downright weird since the opening game in the GA Dome. It was like you were not happy with a win but almost felt relief after the game was over becuase we had won. If you would have told me this time last year that the barn would be playing for it all I would have fallen over laughing.

However, 12-1 is nothing to take lightly. I guess we are spoiled. LOL

Roll Tide

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I might be the only one that thinks this but this year has been downright weird since the opening game in the GA Dome. It was like you were not happy with a win but almost felt relief after the game was over becuase we had won. If you would have told me this time last year that the barn would be playing for it all I would have fallen over laughing.

However, 12-1 is nothing to take lightly. I guess we are spoiled. LOL

Roll Tide
Unfortunately, 11-2 is our record now. Still nothing to be ashamed of, but sort of an embarrassing way to end the season with two losses that exposed our defense and confirmed my worst fears after the Texas A&M game.

CaptainTide

Scout Team
Apr 16, 2011
Mobile, AL
It was a weird year indeed. One team would win a game, then lose another to a bad team which wasn't really bad because the week before they beat a good team but that good team was also bad because they ended up losing to a bad team that wasn't really bad because they beat a good team too which lost to a bad team as well but the bad team they lost to was actually fairly good

If the above paragraph makes your brain melt, then congratulations. You now know what it was like to watch football this season, if you didn't already.

Crazy stuff. Two heart-breaking losses in a row... but they'll come back from this.

I feel horrible for AJ. That is absolutely no way for anyone to end their career... A sack with a fumble returned for a TD to seal the game. He might have very well led the team to a game-tying TD. We'll never know.

It's been an amazing few years, and I don't expect the success to stop soon at all. The coaches and players have a heck of a lot to work on during the offseason, but I think we have the talent and determination to go for it all again next year. Regardless, win or lose, it's all still Alabama football, I still love it, and I always will.

People say "it's just a game" but it's really not for me. It's something special, but I do know how to take a loss. I'm perfectly content after this loss, surprisingly. After the Iron Bowl, I think whatever it is that makes you feel bad after a loss has been removed from my mind forever.

Roll, Tide, Roll.

Crimsongator

All-SEC
Nov 5, 2003
Hills of North Georgia
I'm just happy that 2013 is gone! I was very happy with each win, but with each win I felt a little niggling of doubt. Just couldn't get quite comfortable with where we were. But as CaptainTide stated "Regardless, win or lose, it's all still Alabama football, I still love it, and I always will."

gator

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Put this season in the column with 1989, 2008, and maybe a few others in which the record was quite good and yet the whole thing just leaves me feeling dismally unsatisfied. Looking back, I thought the Tide had finally put the pieces together with the 4th quarter mauling of LSU to start November, but from there on we sputtered in every phase of the game against any competition with a pulse. Mississippi State, Auburn, and Oklahoma very clearly showed that Alabama cannot expect to just show up, go through the motions, and win a ball game. Going through the motions is exactly how Alabama has looked down the stretch. Here's hoping the new faces we'll see at key positions next season can restore the hunger and energy that seem to have faded away after a truly amazing 3-year run. The McCarron era has been spectacular; too bad it ended with such a whimper.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
It's been a strange year. From having players kicked off the team for robbing a student... to Kenny Bell quitting, then coming back.... Terry Saban's comments about the fanbase....to Saban's comments about fans leaving early..... Saban to Texas fiasco... the "Kick-Six" in the Iron Bowl...etc. I may be forgetting some. Something just didn't seem right with Saban this year. I can see it in him.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
we're spoiled, and that not a bad thing...;)

we had a good team this year, just not a great one...we were missing a few pieces to a championship puzzle.

Our Offensive line never really gelled as hoped and expected, our corners never came around and improved over the season as needed, and we nver really found that consistent pass rush that would have helped slow down those up tempo offenses...

the coaches will have to regroup, and rethink some parts of our defenses, because we'll see more and more of the uptempo used gainst us...and we're struggling with them on defense right now.

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
Like the media and their propensity to build up "dynasties" in sports I like to think in terms of 5-8 year runs. Since Coach Bryant we've had several and I think this current run of 2008-???? will end up much like the runs of 1960-67 and 1971-81. Major (i.e. BCS bowls/Final Four appearances). Even throw in a mini run of 1991-1996. Those runs all had NC's and SEC titles BUT all also had soul crushing defeats. The more I think about it, the more I feel we are just in the middle (hopefully) of another one of those magnificent runs where we are RELEVANT every year and in the hunt. Some years it will work out and some years it won't.

I think it was Howell Raines or Winston Groom (both literary giants IMHO) who said (and I paraphrase) "Coach Bryant brought a belief to the Alabama fan base a belief that they were destined to win EVERY game" I had those same beliefs in 1971-79 and 1991-96 during my lifetime. I have those same feelings now. I guess that's why the occasional loss hurts so much. I think that belief has been there ever since the early 60's when CPB got things rolling. Even in the darkest days of Price and Shula, I always (somewhere deep in my heart) expected to win.

It's a tough emotional day, but I certainly like where we are now compared to 1997-2007 overall.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.