****Bama Vs. OU Postgame Thread****

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
That was a puzzle for me also. Even Blackledge talked about what a mismatch OJ was and we never threw the ball to him...
I think he was way under utilized all year. I think we have got to do a better job getting the ball to play makers in makes creative ways.

I'm about ready for the if you can beat em, join em approach and speed up our offense a little too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdcougar

Dec 23, 2011
This is from someone that seen it all in almost 70 years of Bama football. While disappointing this should not have been unexpected tonight. The coaching staff will start tomorrow getting ready for the 2014 campaign, they are not a bunch of dummies you know. There is way to much talent on campus and on the way for us to start jumping off the upper deck of BDS. whatever needs to be done will get done. We may never win two ncs in a row again, but we will still be in the running next year and we will be proud we are Bama through and through. Lets enjoy the past few years and look forward to good things in the future. That is what I will tell my disappointed grand children tomorrow. I am very proud to be a life time member of the Crimson Tide family for almost 80 years.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
You know, Paul Bryant ran into this same brick wall one time. We couldn't beat our way out of a wet paper bag. He went to visit Darryl Royal at Texas, learned a few things, brought them home, installed them, and then the next year beat the college football world like a rented mule. What was the idea that he used to revolutionize Alabama football? THE WISHBONE!!! What's the moral of the story? It's time for us to shake things up and change the way we play on both sides of the ball. I have NO idea what that should look like at the moment, but if Nick Saban is 1/4 as brilliant a football man as Paul Bryant was (and make no mistake, he is every bit Bryant's equal), then look for some serious changes to surprise us next year. In this world the only thing that is constant is change. We change or we wither and die like the Wing T and the Wishbone. We'll be fine. But we really sucked tonight. Really sucked...
Not far from the mark. This particular loss could be blamed on any number of things; identifying the most irect cause is irrelevant. What matters is that certain persistent problems crept up once again...

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I'm think our recruiting strategy is working fine. With 3 NCs in five years. I think the adjustments need to be made in our base D and substitution patterns. We can't check at the line as much b/c of the fast pace. LSU has a good paradigm against spread teams. They stop HS offenses with a HS style D, even running some 5-2 against AU and TAMU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
We cannot pressure anyone without bringing six, that is a problem on defense. It goes without saying that the D will have to adapt. Every great coach has had to adjust to the game. I, too, hate this Hurry up (HUNH) crap. But, until we start consistently start shutting it down, we are going to get a steady dose of it.
I wonder why it took us all the way to halftime to make the defensive adjustments that we did, such as bringing the corners up etc. They were killing us on short passes etc, and after halftime we did seem to manage it better. The defense gave the offense several chances to catch up but just couldn't seem to figure things out. Overall, we just weren't that ready to play. We scored the quick touchdown, and I guess we thought OU was just going to roll over. Somebody forgot that when you are Alabama, you always get everyone's best game.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Prof, here we go again with the internal debate over us vs. them. The ultimate insider, he who shall always be discussed in hushed tones, lost seven bowl games in a row, including two Oranges, a Cotton and a Sugar. Do you think he and his players didn't care?

Maybe we just weren't good enough after 33 days off. It happens. I find it hard to fathom that after seven seasons with the man, we're questioning Nick Saban's priorities.
Not questioning his priorities in the least, but I do think there is ample evidence that Saban doesn't use the history or tradition of his program to motivate players. I can't argue with the results, but I wish it weren't so.

That's all.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
I think that we will have to adapt to the players we are recruiting, as well as changing the defense. Too many times, we seemed to be a bit slow of foot. We have our guys bulked up to stop the power game when the trend seems to be going away from that, towards a fast-paced game based more on deception. Of course, in the second half, fatigue started to have a role in the slow feet. The HUNH is not going to go away, so we'd better head our defensive thinking in the direction of stopping it. I see more and more teams adopting it at the college level...
I agree with this thought but I don't think the changes need to be major. I think the FIRST step is to simplify the scheme.

Some slightly smaller, quicker pass rush ends would help tremendously.

TexasRed

3rd Team
Nov 15, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I think Todd Blackledge summarized the problem when he highlighted the play of the game (or whatever it's called). On OU's last scoring drive he pointed out that we had a 310 pound nose tackle trying to contain (not pursue, but contain) Trevor Knight. Knight new that all he had to do was outrun Ivory and he would have a play, which is what happened. I think that Saban has been a genius at managing the specialization of the defense. However, offenses have apparently adapted. In my humble opinion, if we were a little more agile in our defense front we could have managed the game a little better at that point.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
I'm signing off for the night, but just wanted to say a quick thanks to our seniors. Nights like tonight suck, but you guys definitely made those games rare and gave us some amazing seasons. Sure, some of us will growl over games like these, but EVERYONE will remember those national championships you brought us.

I just wish I had more friends who were Bama fans. It sucks I don't get to plant my butt in a seat in the stadium to show my support, but that's a hard trip to make solo.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Congratulations to the Sooners. 4 turnovers will always get you beat against a good team. Oklahoma took advantage of their opportunities and deserve credit for playing a physical game.

Without the turnovers I don't believe this is as much an issue, but we look slow against the faster teams this year on defense. Not sure what we do to correct it, but I hope we do soon without overcompensating.

Henry looked like he was auditioning for the starting job next year. He seems to have mastered not only getting the ball downfield, but also ball security. The latter may be more important than the former, but it's nice to have both.

Hate to see AJ go out like this, but what a career he has had. Most players would give their left arm for a career like his.

It seems other leagues are catching up to the SEC.

We have some holes to plug next year - especially at QB - but it looks to be another fine year in 2014. Gone are the days when I feel lke we've lost our best and only chance in years to win and win big including championships after an ending like these last 2 game. We may or may not win the SEC West, SEC, or NC next year; but we will be competing most of if not all year. And the year after. And the next year. And so on. This smarts, but we're in the middle of a great run, not at the end.

Roll Tide Roll!

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Some slightly smaller, quicker pass rush ends would help tremendously.
We've just had a hard time getting that type of pass rusher while CNS has been here. I think the scheme is part of the problem and has been used against us on the recruiting trail.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
They don't have to make MAJOR changes but changes need to be made for sure.

Offense has become too predictable and gets way from the running game too quick.
We need to throw to the tight-ends/OJ 5-6 times a game and throw to the backs out of the backfield to be more diverse.

Its no secret we need some help on the Dline and at DB, but I think the biggest thing the coaches need to change on defense against the HU teams is to just SIMPLIFY the calls and let your athletes make plays.
I thought we needed to go to more run and quick passes/screens. Their D-Line was just blasting straight up field every play and AJ was just losing track of the receivers. Some quicker plays might have slowed this down. Krymsonman

RollTideMustang

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2011
Killen, Alabama
www.myyearbook.com
Well we lost simple as that. OU just came out with a Tempo game style & we just could not stop it 100%. Plays went there ways the squib kick just made me say wow! I hope on the offseason Saban really needs to work on the Tempo & we need one ourselves. The reason I said that other teams in 2014 find out up-tempo to beat us there going to use it. Saban needs a whole new plan. I still think we had a goo year. Win or Lose ROLL TIDE!

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
These are the days I wish I lived in Tuscaloosa. Misery loves company:) At least I could be surrounded by a lot of folks going through the same thing.

Gotta look at the positives. It's funny when your 11-2 and it's a off year. Yeah. We're living in another golden age of Alabama Football.

It's the end of a year in which Bama didn't achieve their goals. How do you react? That's when true character is shown. Looking forward to see how the under-class men take this loss. Wallow in self-pity or motivation of never feel it again.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.