****Bama Vs. OU Postgame Thread****

Crimson Draw

3rd Team
Nov 8, 2008
As an outsider I don't read much into this game except for this: Oklahoma wanted to be there, Alabama didn't. You play them in the regular season, you probably beat them 40-7. After we lost to Stanford we didn't show up to play Arizona. We didn't want to be there, we didn't care, and it showed. Maybe the same thing happened tonight? I think Bama is the better team by far if you're comparing Oklahoma to Alabama, it was just a difference of motivation.
It's possible that happened. But the loss to Utah in 08 was "no desire" to a much more enunciated level, so I would personally hesitate to say it was that for this game.

TooFullOfBama

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 6, 2013
Atlanta, GA
You know, Paul Bryant ran into this same brick wall one time. We couldn't beat our way out of a wet paper bag. He went to visit Darryl Royal at Texas, learned a few things, brought them home, installed them, and then the next year beat the college football world like a rented mule. What was the idea that he used to revolutionize Alabama football? THE WISHBONE!!! What's the moral of the story? It's time for us to shake things up and change the way we play on both sides of the ball. I have NO idea what that should look like at the moment, but if Nick Saban is 1/4 as brilliant a football man as Paul Bryant was (and make no mistake, he is every bit Bryant's equal), then look for some serious changes to surprise us next year. In this world the only thing that is constant is change. We change or we wither and die like the Wing T and the Wishbone. We'll be fine. But we really sucked tonight. Really sucked...

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Mooooo!!!

Would you like to see my diplomas?

And look - I heard Barrett Jones on WJOX on NYE and Ryan Brown (local host) asked him about how much interaction he had with UA greats while he was a player, and he said "not much" and that "that stuff" didn't mean much in the game...you just wanted it for your teammates. In a recent RBR interview, Jay Barker said that while CGS had the team walk through the Bryant museum, CNS brings in Kevin Elko and his sports psychology stuff. I'm not (necessarily) criticizing Coach Saban, but pointing out this is a different approach that he takes, and it does have a downside, especially when recruiting nationally.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They don't have to make MAJOR changes but changes need to be made for sure.

Offense has become too predictable and gets way from the running game too quick.
We need to throw to the tight-ends/OJ 5-6 times a game and throw to the backs out of the backfield to be more diverse.

Its no secret we need some help on the Dline and at DB, but I think the biggest thing the coaches need to change on defense against the HU teams is to just SIMPLIFY the calls and let your athletes make plays.
That was a puzzle for me also. Even Blackledge talked about what a mismatch OJ was and we never threw the ball to him...

BigA

Scout Team
Dec 21, 2013
Trussville, Al
As an outsider I don't read much into this game except for this: Oklahoma wanted to be there, Alabama didn't. You play them in the regular season, you probably beat them 40-7. After we lost to Stanford we didn't show up to play Arizona. We didn't want to be there, we didn't care, and it showed. Maybe the same thing happened tonight? I think Bama is the better team by far if you're comparing Oklahoma to Alabama, it was just a difference of motivation.
I disagree. I dont think it was a matter of wanting to be there or not. We just got whipped by a better prepared team (regular season or post season).

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Talk about a confusing game, just one of those alternate universe games, but the mobile QB giving our D problems thing is true. I know CNS and the gang will huddle and fix that problem.

3dtide

Nov 12, 2010
Todd b. mentioned someone who coached during the au game and then in this game . I just caught the end of the comment. Who was he referring too.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
Does the 3-4 vs 4-3 really mean much over the size of the players? Since a LB ends up on the line a lot of the time. How effective is a NG against a spread fast offense?

We may have dropped 2, but I bet the off season will be more interesting than if we won the NC. Time to take a little pain, grow from it, and make the changes needed to ramp it up to stopping 2014 offenses. The 1999 offenses are vanishing quickly, even in the NFL. Improvising is very relevant these days.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I'm gonna hit the hay and reflect tomorrow.

We have some things to work on. Ball security, discipline (stupid penalties), "finishing," and earning it.

But I'd still rather be where we are than anyone else. We're set to be in the hunt for years to come.

Proud of our players, disappointed with the results of the last two games.

And thanks to the seniors - you have brought us back and made us all proud again.

Roll Tide from sleepy eyes and a disappointed heart.
This gives the staff and players a chance to get FOCUSED again.

We need to be at Bryant-Denny for A Day! We're still the #1 Fan Base!

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
You must have watched a different game. They whipped us all over the field.
Two throws that were very bad decisions... a RB doesn't protect the ball in the red zone... and an offensive strategy that cannot counter OU's pass rush with any semblance of screens or draws after your defense plays well enough to let you get back in the game... replacing your hottest offensive player on the series after it's proven he can't be stopped??? Yep... got totally whipped all over the field tonight.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Derrick Henry! He is gonna be awesome next year. otherwise, our defense better figure out how to stop tempo because this is gettting old.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I don't get why ESPN keeps saying that our defense gave up the second most points ever in a bowl game for this team (45). Our offense gave up that last TD... not the defense.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We had a really bad offensive gameplan but the defensive gameplan was only marginally better because the second half adjustments were decent enough to give us a shot.

OU really outworked us too. All around poor game from our players and staff.

whatsamatta U

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Athens, AL
Yes we had turnovers but OU did turn those turnovers into points. We got a turnover and what happened? Gave it right back! Our turnovers sure didn't help but not stopping their offense was the killer.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I'm curious about whether or not our coaches want it at this point - and do they care about what the Sugar Bowl has traditionally meant to Bama fans?

I sort of doubt it.
Prof, here we go again with the internal debate over us vs. them. The ultimate insider, he who shall always be discussed in hushed tones, lost seven bowl games in a row, including two Oranges, a Cotton and a Sugar. Do you think he and his players didn't care?

Maybe we just weren't good enough after 33 days off. It happens. I find it hard to fathom that after seven seasons with the man, we're questioning Nick Saban's priorities.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
The HUHN hasn't neutralized old school football. Not even close. We have a Stanford problem. They play old school football.
It seems more like a choking in big game problem to me. :p IMO old school is run the ball and play good D. I'm not saying we should go away from that philosophy. I want to line up, run it, and keep the ball from the other team. I just think we aren't built correctly on D to stop the HUNH. We need to get a little smaller and athletic on the D line. We haven't got a consistent pass rush since CNS has been here. When teams spread you out and make you cover 4-5 WR you have to be able to get pressure rushing 4 somehow. CB's can't cover for 6,7,8 seconds. We also can't rely on making so many D adjustment from the sideline presnap. Several time against HUNH we have been completely out of position or just flat out not looking when the ball was not snapped.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Ironically, I was more heart broken over the IB loss. And I got over that one pretty quickly.

Maybe since this game has no excuses..OU played better.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
One other assessment. Their QB played outta his mind.

A. J. over 300 yards passing in the first half. Incredible.

We did need a TE over there helping the LT.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.