JessN: Sugar Bowl wrap-up: What will this game mean for Alabama’s future?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ok, how about this. From what I've read, Stanford returned 10 starters on defense (the same site cites Alabama as having 8 though). And, by the way I specified experience, starts, and years in college. It's not just who is listed as a senior, or junior, it's 5th year seniors, and three year starters, and it would take a long time to compile that.

So, no, I'm not hanging my argument on one position, I'm hanging it on the simple fact that Alabama was less experienced on defense.

JessN, you know darn well Alabama loses defensive players early, every single year, and a less experienced guy replaces them every single year. It isn't even about junior, senior, etc... it's about experience and there's no doubt that Stanford's defense this year was more experienced!

When a player leaves early, he takes all those starts with him basically. So, Alabama might have a guy rack up starts for two or three years, leave, rinse repeat, but a program that doesn't suffer from that same level of attrition, they end up with more guys that have 3 or 4 years of starts under their belts. Now, it might just be two or three guys, but that's massive! This also means that if Alabama does have a senior that's stuck around, it doesn't mean he's been getting starts the whole time, even CJ wasn't a full time player until this year, so even he was less experienced than he could have been. So, the "veterans" Alabama has end up being less experienced as well.

You give Alabama a few would be seniors that left early, and we all know that Alabama's defense is on a completely different level. We also know that weakness even at just one single position, can lead to devastating consequences. A defense is, in a lot of ways only as good as their weakest link.

Edit: Let's put it this way, if you flip things and Alabama returned 10 starters to Stanford's 8 (I think they based that on players that had starts previously), we wouldn't be having this conversation because Alabama would be playing for the title and Stanford wouldn't have won the Pac-12.

Last edited:

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Ok, how about this. From what I've read, Stanford returned 10 starters on defense.

So, no, I'm not hanging my argument on one position, I'm hanging it on the simple fact that Alabama was less experienced on defense.
At year's start:

Ed Stinson - 3-year starter (1 at Jack, 2 on the line)
C.J. Mosley - no explanation needed.
Trey DePriest - returning starter, 1 year key backup
Deion Belue - 1-year starter at CB for Bama, and 2 years as starter in JUCO
Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix - First year as full-time starter but was the starting dime last year and played a good bit as a freshman. Projected to go in the first round of the NFL Draft so it's kind of moot anyway.
Vinnie Sunseri - prior to injury, had started for 1 year and was a heavy contributor at nickel/dime the year before that
Xzavier Dickson - returning starter, suspended for OU game but started A&M/Auburn
Adrian Hubbard - 1-year starter, key reserve his RS freshman year, 2013 was his fourth year in the program

That's 8 of the 11 guys. The other three included Brandon Ivory, who was in the A-group rotation as a sophomore, started a couple of games in his career when Jesse Williams was hurt and is a fourth-year player; Jeoffrey Pagan and the other CB. At this point, I forgot that senior John Fulton was actually the Week 1 starter, which means Alabama actually had more experience (by class) than Stanford at the start of the season. I actually consider Sylve to be current starter, who has been limited for six weeks now due to an ankle sprain, but the takeaway is that the off-corner position -- once Fulton was replaced -- was the only position on defense filled by a guy with no experience. Dickson's suspension cleared the deck for Denzel Devall, who was a key reserve in 2012, while Sunseri's injury elevated Landon Collins, who didn't have a lot of experience with the 1s prior to this year but at least was the starting dime while Sunseri was healthy. Pagan had similar experience as Collins, with one prior start.

If Stanford had more cumulative experience than that, it wasn't by enough to matter.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
They've had time, krazy. Something has to change against hunh teams especially.
Alabama had one of the best defenses in the NCAA this year. I just can't accept the notion of something "having" to change, or that change would automatically be for the better. Losing happens sometimes. I think there were personnel issues in the secondary, but that's bound to happen eventually. Most teams would kill to have Alabama's defense, and I'm not sure we could pick any defense out there and definitively say it is better (even Stanford). Sure, may be we'd like to use it for a game or two, but that's not how it works. Your defense needs to go the whole season.

Anyway, Alabama lost Dee Milliner (first round, would be senior), Nico Johnson (fourth round, graduated), Jesse Williams (fifth round, graduated), and Robert Lester (undrafted, graduated).

You know how many Stanford defensive players from last season were drafted or considered notable free agents? 0

Last edited:

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
It is possible the you are both correct. And I do agree that 3 experienced players can make a huge difference. Having Lacy on offense could have changed the entire game.

And it is very possible that tweaking the defense could work, that it may not be as bad is it appears when you broaden the scope, other factors, like inspiration and or burnout came into play.

These games will fade back into a bigger picture, and we won't feel like the last two games 100% defines our program.

Last edited:

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
I'm not of the opinion that our defense needs a major overhaul. There are some tweaks that need to be be made but IMHO, the offense is the bigger problem and has been since CNS arrived so this is where I think he needs to be more flexible and start thinking outside the box. Aside from a few games last season (2012) our offense has been very inconsistent and usually bogs down ito the point where a single stud RB has to carry the entire load and Yeldon was not up to that task this year. There are a lot of things I would like to say about the offense but will roll it up into one comment. I think it's time that we either cut Nussmier loose or give him complete control of the offense. Regardless of who is running the offense, suck up your pride and admit that your philosophy is not working against better teams and be willing to make some major changes.
I like this idea.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Alabama had one of the best defenses in the NCAA this year. I just can't accept the notion of something "having" to change, or that change would automatically be for the better. Losing happens sometimes. I think there were personnel issues in the secondary, but that's bound to happen eventually. Most teams would kill to have Alabama's defense, and I'm not sure we could pick any defense out there and definitively say it is better (even Stanford). Sure, may be we'd like to use it for a game or two, but that's not how it works. Your defense needs to go the whole season.

Anyway, Alabama lost Dee Miliner (first round, would be senior), Nico Johnson (fourth round, graduated), Jesse Williams (fifth round, graduated), and Robert Lester (undrafted, graduated).

You know how many Stanford defensive players from last season were drafted or considered notable free agents? 0
All that does is tell me Stanford is doing more with less, particularly against tempo offenses.

I'm sure Alabama will have more players drafted this year, too. Yet Stanford didn't trail Alabama by much in total defense (16th, compared to 5th for Alabama, both excellent figures), faced more tempo teams and had a far narrower standard deviation in terms of results.

The problem here is not what Alabama is doing against pro-style teams. The problem is what Alabama is doing against tempo offenses. Alabama's defense is virtually impenetrable against what most of the SEC and many other teams run, but if other offenses are going tempo and Alabama craps the bed three times out of six defensively against those teams, you seriously think the best course of action is to not change?

And, if Alabama keeps recruiting at the level it currently recruits, accelerated turnover in the roster isn't going to stop. Which means, it has to be dealt with, otherwise it just becomes an excuse.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
Has Nick Saban ever run a 4-3? A couple of 6-5 240lb 4.5 defensive ends would seem to do be more adaptable to all the offenses because of the increase in speed. Vinnie used to be a tweener, but we probably would have won both games with about 4 similar players of similar size, speed and smarts. Vinnie would probably make a good linebacker against a HUNH.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
And, if Alabama keeps recruiting at the level it currently recruits, accelerated turnover in the roster isn't going to stop. Which means, it has to be dealt with, otherwise it just becomes an excuse.
I just think the impact is underestimated. Alabama plays more true freshmen, and they have more players leave early, and that does create inexperience. I went back to 2012, and once again Stanford didn't lose anyone of note on defense, while Alabama lost 6 guys to the draft. Of those six guys, you had a couple 3 to 4 year starters, of course there was an early departure, and I only noticed one fifth year guy in the bunch.

I understand and agree with you to the extent that I do think Stanford can handle up-tempo better than Alabama. I just think that Alabama is facing circumstances that tend to gut teams. There's a reason teams tend to fall off after a national title run, and that's because they can't replace those key guys that they lose. Auburn couldn't, Notre Dame took a step back, Texas took a huge step back, etc... it's the exception rather than the norm to see a team make a title run and then be right back there the next year, and I attribute that to the pain of dealing with those losses. In the past two seasons, Alabama has lost nearly an entire starting lineup on defense to the NFL! Knowing that, it makes it hard to believe their defense was good at all.

By the way, Stanford does have pro-prospects this year on defense, but I am sure Alabama outdoes them, it just won't be another 0 for Stanford. They did give up 48 points (Alabama's worst was 29) in a game last year. They're mortal to, and I do think in both the Oklahoma and A&M game (not the Auburn one though), the scores were greatly exaggerated by specific events (A&M it was the dual injuries, and Oklahoma it was the turnovers).

I do think Hand will help, I hope there can be a bit more of a pass rush, but I don't think any scheme can account for the players Alabama loses on defense every year, and the inexperience that creates. But, a defense just can't be good at everything and clearly Alabama isn't.

Edit: Anyway, I've said what I had to say. I appreciate your tolerating the conversation, and I think I understand where you are coming from on this, I just think that there's not a whole lot more that can be done to improve.

Last edited:

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I think CNS is adapting. It is seen in Recruiting to begin with. Guys like Pettway, Hand, Tomlinson, and Robinson on the defensive line show that. I do like the idea of the Anders/Reamer type at the Sam LB spot. I had not thought how that had changed. Would Ragland fit this mold? The secondary was a mess, but history shows CBs under CNS make a huge jump in performance in their second and third years. I do see a need for more speed and penetration but I think it is on the way. The scheme may need a tweak, and I'm interested to see how it comes out.

The offensive side of the ball was hurt by the losses on the OLine and the simple fact that Yeldon isn't Ingram, Richardson, or Lacy. I like Yeldon. He is a talented guy, but I never felt he was on the same level as the other three, and running behind an oline that lost three all Americans made that more evident. I liked what I saw from Henry. He is more in the running style of the three greats we have been blessed to watch. He may or may not be able to live up to that level on a weekly basis, but I like his chances. I would be interested to see a power running game with Henry and company run at a HUNH pace. That could be punishing. I don't like the spread, but find the HUNH concept interesting. It levels the playing field when playing superior talent, see the IB and the Sugar Bowl, it could be devastating when implemented with the level of talent on Bama's side. It wouldn't take a crazy shift in offensive philosophy just a shift in the speed it is run at.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
I just think the impact is underestimated. Alabama plays more true freshmen, and they have more players leave early, and that does create inexperience.
I can't see how you can argue against this. Every few years losing all of your best players is going to have repercussions. I think chemistry is just as important as talent, and there is no doubt that a team like Stanford does not have to worry as much about replacing leadership every year as Alabama. Chemistry!

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Let's not forget that barring turnovers and the worst special teams performance in history Bama is probably playing in the BCS title game against a no hurry up team we roll
over in my estimation. I do think some adjustments would be necessary even if that had been the case, but the two loses magnified it. The sky isn't falling, but the field is catching up a little.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
Alabama might benefit from not having so many underclassman leave early. It would mean that we are not the hottest hotbed for the NFL, but it could balance out in the end, recruiting vs experience and chemistry. We have a new Mike LB every year! And out DB'S are raided one year after they finally have the system down. That db loss has to be an Achilles heel for such a complicated system.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Jess, I always appreciate your insight, but I don't quite understand the sudden infatuation with Stanford? I never thought I'd see you insist that Alabama should try to be more like Stanford...

Stanford lost to 9-4 USC and 5-7 Utah (!!!). By comparison, Alabama lost to 12-1 Auburn (who is playing for the championship) and 10-2 Oklahoma (top 10 team). Whose losses look worse? Points allowed aside, would you trade our losses for theirs? I do think CNS and crew have some adjustments to make, but I don't really get treating Stanford as some golden standard. What high powered offenses have they played? Oregon? Arizona gave up fewer points to Oregon than Stanford.

I just think it's a little bit of overreaction to act like our defense and defensive coaches have completely fallen by the wayside. Last night we had numerous turnovers and Knight played LIGHT YEARS better than he ever had before (and may ever again). There were quite a few plays where our DB was in decent to good position and Knight just made an incredible throw or the WR made an incredible catch. Sometimes there's only so much you can do as a defensive player or coach and you just have to tip your hat to the guys that have one of those "Garcia/Mettenberger/Manziel" nights.

I don't think that means we need to start modelling our defense after a PAC 12 D whose stats have barely compared to ours over the last few years. Regardless, I'm sure CNS knows that he needs to make some changes RE: the HUNH and I'm confident that he will. I doubt anybody is more critical of Coach Saban than Coach Saban himself. It will be interesting to see what the staff comes up with...

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
I know that we have recruited several of the type of kids that we're talking about here. Kids like Corey Lemonier, Carl Lawson, Clowney, etc. All in the 6'3"-6'6", 225-250 pound range. But instead of coming here to play in a 2-point stance and drop into coverage, they're pinning their ears back with their hand on the ground and rushing the passer in 4 man fronts.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Them more I think about this topic the more I'm not as sure scheme is at the heart of the matter entirely. Does anyone on here think that the 2011 or 2009 defense would have given up tons of yards and points to the Barn or OU? I don't they were a more experienced well oiled machine. A difference in style of player can be found at the Sam LB position that Reamer and Harris occupied. We were bit this year by injury bugs and a lack of experience. Put Menzie, and Sunseri back in the line up and see what happens. I still think a tweek in the style of player and a little scheme adjustment maybe necessary, but nothing more on defense.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Jess, I always appreciate your insight, but I don't quite understand the sudden infatuation with Stanford? I never thought I'd see you insist that Alabama should try to be more like Stanford...
I'm interested in what teams who can stop the tempo offense are doing. Stanford does it on a consistent basis; Alabama has had very mixed results with it over the past seven seasons. The bigger issue is not the results, it's the philosophy. There's enough body of work on the table now for Alabama's coaches to take a hard look at what they're doing and ask questions as to whether certain changes can or should be made while keeping the basics of the scheme.

Also, what you didn't mention about either of those two Stanford losses was what the Stanford offense did in either game: They scored 21 points against Utah and 17 against USC. This isn't a discussion about Alabama looking like Stanford as a whole; it's a discussion about what takeaways there are to be had from looking at the SU defense against tempo teams. It's a very narrow discussion point, so let's not try to take it places it shouldn't go.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
All that does is tell me Stanford is doing more with less, particularly against tempo offenses.

I'm sure Alabama will have more players drafted this year, too. Yet Stanford didn't trail Alabama by much in total defense (16th, compared to 5th for Alabama, both excellent figures), faced more tempo teams and had a far narrower standard deviation in terms of results.

The problem here is not what Alabama is doing against pro-style teams. The problem is what Alabama is doing against tempo offenses. Alabama's defense is virtually impenetrable against what most of the SEC and many other teams run, but if other offenses are going tempo and Alabama craps the bed three times out of six defensively against those teams, you seriously think the best course of action is to not change?

You are correct, Jess. I believe Nick Saban is still the best coach in college but the one thing that has always bothered me about him is his repetitive statement "We are not interested in sacks. We want to affect their quarterback". When he says that it drive me nuts!!!! The QB is the engine of the offense and the person who touches the ball on every play. That is the guy on the other team you definitely want to knock the crap out of.
It was once remarked that the only person who could hold Michael Jordan under 20 points a night was Dean Smith. Sometimes I wonder if Nick Saban would know how to properly use Derrick Thomas if he was on the current team. I'm not trying to bang on Saban but you are correct. Sometimes you have to see the new picture of college football. That does not necessarily mean scrapping everything but it does mean being observant and adaptive from time to time.
Your analogy to Monte Kiffen was about as close as you can get to this situation. Kiffen came up with "cover two" specifically to defend Randy Moss and the deep passing game of Minnesota. He recognized what had to be done and had the personnel to implement it (Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, Brian Kelly and Ronde Barber). It was brilliant for that purpose.
When he tried to do the "same old same old" in the Pac-12, it did not work because those teams are spread teams and don't throw deep often. The players were confused and the defense at USC stunk. Sometimes Saban needs to simplify and allow the athletes he recruited do what they do best. Let a beast be a beast.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Has Nick Saban ever run a 4-3? A couple of 6-5 240lb 4.5 defensive ends would seem to do be more adaptable to all the offenses because of the increase in speed. Vinnie used to be a tweener, but we probably would have won both games with about 4 similar players of similar size, speed and smarts. Vinnie would probably make a good linebacker against a HUNH.
I don't think he's ever run a pure 4-3 but I don't think that's necessarily the answer, either. First and foremost, it changes your entire defensive front seven recruiting strategy and you may not get the payoff you're looking for.

In a 3-4 over/under, the lineup is typically a big nose (300+ pounds, preferably 330+) with a couple of DE/T combo players who go 270 or so. Then the LB corps usually is a Mike (even though the LB group is even-numbered) in the 240-250-pound range, a Will at around 230, and then you have the OLB components. The SLB is rarely on the field, because he's the first guy off when the nickel comes on. The other side is the Jack.

What Alabama has been doing, when it goes to nickel, has been to remove the SLB, put the Jack down at end and go to a four-man, shaded front, with the nose still right over center or in the strongside A-gap. The LBs then typically shade to the weakside a bit. When Alabama started going really big at the SLB position, what started happening is that Alabama also took one of the DEs off the field and moved the SLB down to end, so the alignment looked like this: SLB-NT-WDE-Jack. Alabama plays its base defense -- I'm just taking a semi-wild guess here -- about 10 percent of the time nowadays. Alabama is almost always in a 4-2-5, 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 setup.

What makes this different from the traditional 4-3 is the linebackers in a 4-3 usually have a Mike going around 240 flanked by OLBs in the 210-to-220-pound range. When the nickel comes on, they drop one of the OLBs, then drop the other one in dime so you end up with a 4-1-6, which Alabama runs sometimes (typically with the dime walked up into a LB slot; this was the defense Alabama used almost exclusively against Auburn in 2009 with Ali Sharrief basically playing LB).

Tennessee changed from a 3-4 over/under to a 4-3 this year and you saw what happened. Daniel McCullers was rendered pretty much ineffective, because they were asking him to attack rather than mush and he didn't have the feet for it. In addition, Tennessee's OLBs were too big to drop back into the WLB and SLB slots, and when UT lost Curt Maggitt the wheels came off. It takes about 2-3 years to make that transition.

The intermediate step between these two is the 3-3-5 base that Joe Kines used -- you basically get the line of a 3-4 with the linebackers from a 4-3; i.e., smaller all over -- except Kines was also resurrecting the old Miami opposite-shoulder, inside-out philosophy, where everything got funneled outside and the defense used superior speed to make the play. That's why Alabama's OLBs were Terrence Jones (210 pounds) and Demarcus Waldrop (200); they were basically safeties. Kines used a big nose who had two-gap responsibilities, stuck a big Mike (Matt Collins that last year) behind him and then funneled everything out to the edges. When Saban got here, Collins went to DE and only got about a dozen snaps his senior year, because he didn't fit the new scheme. The Mike in Saban's defense is asked to do a million different things. The other big change were Keith Saunders and Brandon Fanney going from tackle to outside linebacker. Eryk Anders, if you remember, was going to be a tackle (!) in Kines' defense.

It can be easy to swap between the 3-4 and the 3-3-5, depending on what the makeup of your outside positions look like. Oklahoma was able to flex between the two all year long, particularly after they lost Corey Nelson at midseason. But that was because their outside personnel had been scaled down to keep up with the outside speed of Big 12 offenses.

Alabama's scheme issue here is that the defense is slow on the corners. The Jacks and ends struggle setting the edge because the mush technique makes them vulnerable to getting zoned on the play. Unfortunately, you either have to recruit a guy for a specific situation, and not play him when the situation isn't there, or you have to sort of restructure the philosophy up front.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.