A few tidbits to help put things in perspective.

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
Next on our agenda is to beat those Sooners. I hope we face them in the playoffs next year in the first round or in the NC game. They've won 3 in a row from us and I'm not liking Coach Stoops' ARROGANCE! Let's make sure he goes back to the Old BGB of losing in bowls!
I agree with the sentiment, but as the saying goes "it's not arrogant if you can really do it" and he has earned that right.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Just relax everyone. The draft isn't going to gut the underclassmen like it has in years past. I think CK stays, HaHa will probably go, but I could be wrong, and Hubbard goes, and I'm not sad about that. He's a good player but we have guys to replace him. This team will grow like the '08 did to become the '09 and the '10 to become '11. That turned out ok didn't it? CNS will adapt the defense. I just want to see the offense utilize so HUNH aspects without changing to some stupid spread. Think about Henry, Yeldon, Drake, and Tenpenny running at you over and over out of a hurry up.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
The glaring thing we need to change is how quickly we adjust to HUNH teams. Adjusting at the half just isnt fast enough.
Exactly. With regard to applying Coach Bryant's plight to that of an 11-2 Saban team, it would be foolish/naïve to think that some extra time/attention would not be spent on defending the HUNH during the off-season. It is where college football is going. I wonder if CNS is satisfied with the defensive performance in the past two games? That is why he will reevaluate. All great coaches do it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Now, that my friend is perspective. I think some people forget that we are not a decade removed from that. Yes, we should not settle and we should always try to improve, but we should also be very appreciative for where we are.
I just wish that if the fans really do feel the need to worry about every detail, then why not worry about what they can impact? Look into going to A-Day, go over some of the Sabans comments and see if there's anything to learn from them (let's face it, we want to keep them happy if nothing else!), and may be work on getting others to stay for four quarters as well. That will positively impact the team, that will help recruiting... if something just has to be done, then I guess we should see what we can do.

I mean, Seattle Seahawk fans show more enthusiasm than Alabama fans do, how is that even possible? So yeah, we shouldn't be complacent, but we should focus on things that we can improve ourselves.

Last edited:

TheButcher1994

Dec 1, 2013
I'm with you big time on this one KrAzY3. For all the numbers some of these HUNH teams have put up, Bama's last two losses were largely caused by our own inability to finish with the ball in scoring position, poor special teams play, and turnovers. These things will get most teams beat but I don't think they will be an ongoing problem for us under Coach Saban's leadership. I'm hoping he will make some adjustments related to the HUNH, as I'm sure he has done with other offensive trends throughout his career.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Finally, a thread with a calm and cool perspective.

The sky is not falling. Cats and dogs are not living together in the press box at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

1) We held the Auburn HUNH to 21 points into the final minute. We held them 12 points below their average. This "we can't cover the HUNH" is a crock of hooie. We are NOT losing games because the HUNH is an unstoppable beast. We have lost all (except the Iron Bowl this year) by turning the ball over and making stupid mistakes.

2) No team has ever three-peated in college football. There's a reason for that, and we are not immune to that reason. This was not the 2011 team. We would have had to keep that team available for all three years to have done it.

3) Gus Malzahn is a good coach, but it's not like we've never beaten his scheme.

4) One loss did not undo a great senior class last night. Remember that.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
We have to use these last two losses to our advantage. I felt coming into this game that if we lost it would be due to our own doings and with the turnovers, we literally beat ourselves. That can be fixed. We'll be right back.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Great post we were talking about this same thing at work today. We ARE going to lose games every now and then, sometimes you play a team better than you, or better prepared that day then you are. When that happens tip your hat and get ready for the next one.

LagunaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 6, 2013
Rolando McClain @RMcClain205 9h

@stephenasmith we lost the last 2 games of the year in 08. Losing to Utah bad in the Sugar Bowl. Undefeated The following. we're ok #BAMA

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
I just wish that if the fans really do feel the need to worry about every detail, then why not worry about what they can impact? Look into going to A-Day, go over some of the Sabans comments and see if there's anything to learn from them (let's face it, we want to keep them happy if nothing else!), and may be work on getting others to stay for four quarters as well. That will positively impact the team, that will help recruiting... if something just has to be done, then I guess we should see what we can do.

I mean, Seattle Seahawk fans show more enthusiasm than Alabama fans do, how is that even possible? So yeah, we shouldn't be complacent, but we should focus on things that we can improve ourselves.
I agree with everything you said. For my part, I go to A-Day and to all the home games. I also stay until the game clock is 00:00 bad knees and all.

As for getting others to stay the entire game is rather difficult when dealing adults that you don't know. However, I will say that at one game, a nice couple that are regulars in our section left early. We questioned them about it and they gave some excuse. The following week CNS got onto the fans and student section about leaving early. The next game the husband apologized and said that they would never do that again. They were there until the end for the rest of the season. They are obviously fans that care about the program and want to contribute however they can; otherwise, CNS' plea would have fallen on deaf ears. Sadly, there aren't more like them.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Coach Saban and his staff will figure out how to stop the HUNH. Hopefully, he'll take a page from the Stanford and LSU defenses. Johnny Football basically did nothing the past two years against LSU. Neither did Malzoid and his AU team this year against LSU. Oregon has been pretty lame against Stanford the past two years. So there are defenses out there stopping the HUNH offense. I think that will be a major focus in the offseason for our coaches.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Great article on entitlement

Expectations and entitlement go hand in hand. Alabama fans have very high expectations every year, and in every game. They expect their team to win every game - to find a way to win, even when they are not playing particularily well on a given Saturday. When those wins begin to pile up, expectations turn into a sense of entitlement. Fans (and players) begin to believe that the only way that the other team can possibly win is for Alabama to play poorly. They leave no room in their hearts and minds for the possibility that the other team has worked very hard and just might pull off one of those games that no one saw coming. It happens every week in college football, but it can't happen to Alabama (or Ohio State).

I recognized the weaknesses in OSU's defense from the outset this season. I posted about them early and often, and said before the season even started that our defense would cost us at least one game this season. But I totally bought into Alabama. My expectations and sense of entitlement were out of control. I didn't see the loss to either Auburn or OU coming. I mean, the numbers make both losses so very improbable - but they happened.

The odd thing - those losses have not changed my belief that Alabama will be in the playoff next year, and will have yet another shot at a national championship. Not sure if that makes me crazy or not, but I just don't see Alabama getting any worse in the near future, and in your worst games, in which your opponent plays its best, you still have a chance to win. How many teams can say that?

As for Ohio State - I am hopeful. We are improving and I like our chances next year. I am already excited about the possibilities. I love this game!

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Expectations and entitlement go hand in hand. Alabama fans have very high expectations every year, and in every game. They expect their team to win every game - to find a way to win, even when they are not playing particularily well on a given Saturday. When those wins begin to pile up, expectations turn into a sense of entitlement. Fans (and players) begin to believe that the only way that the other team can possibly win is for Alabama to play poorly. They leave no room in their hearts and minds for the possibility that the other team has worked very hard and just might pull off one of those games that no one saw coming. It happens every week in college football, but it can't happen to Alabama (or Ohio State).

I recognized the weaknesses in OSU's defense from the outset this season. I posted about them early and often, and said before the season even started that our defense would cost us at least one game this season. But I totally bought into Alabama. My expectations and sense of entitlement were out of control. I didn't see the loss to either Auburn or OU coming. I mean, the numbers make both losses so very improbable - but they happened.

The odd thing - those losses have not changed my belief that Alabama will be in the playoff next year, and will have yet another shot at a national championship. Not sure if that makes me crazy or not, but I just don't see Alabama getting any worse in the near future, and in your worst games, in which your opponent plays its best, you still have a chance to win. How many teams can say that?

As for Ohio State - I am hopeful. We are improving and I like our chances next year. I am already excited about the possibilities. I love this game!
It was a tough 2 last games for both of our programs. We both have solid foundations and were both done in by costly mistakes in the game (yeldon fumble, 2 costly int's, etc) not some crack in the underlying system.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

For all the talk about our defense problems and wanting to change philosophy/scheme, I still feel like the bogging down of our offense is a bigger problem. I do agree that we struggle with HUNH/spread offenses but with all the talent we had on offense this year we should have been able to outscore any team on our schedule. Think about the AU game. AU gave up 35 points to LSU, 41 to aTm, 38 to UGA, and 42 to Mizzouri. I feel like we have a better offense than all of those teams yet we only manage 28 against them. The LSU game we lost 9-6 our offense bogged down. The UT game Cody blocked the field goal to save our offense was non-productive. IDK I just feel like if our offense played to its potential we would be in Pasadena right now. Gone are the days of holding teams consistently to 10 or 14 points a game. We pick up one yard and there's no talk about changing defensive philosophy. I do think we need to recruit more agile/active DL, but I would not be for any wholesale changes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I fail to see how anyone thinks we're doing fine against HUNH and our only real issue is mental mistakes.
Differences of opinion. Mine - HUNH teams give you more trouble, but your defense is still the best in the country. Making huge changes might do far more harm than good. What you really need is another dominant NT, pushing the LOS back. You did not have one this year, and it showed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.