How Healthy was TJ Yeldon This Season?

CrimsonTut

1st Team
Jul 24, 2000
Franklin, TN
I know he's been gimped and bothered by his ankle this season, but has anyone heard the extent? He was definitely not the same back this year. He seemed to develop a stutter-step at the line also that reminded me of the bad habit Ken Darby developed. How big of an issue was his health do you think?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I know he's been gimped and bothered by his ankle this season, but has anyone heard the extent? He was definitely not the same back this year. He seemed to develop a stutter-step at the line also that reminded me of the bad habit Ken Darby developed. How big of an issue was his health do you think?
TJ was not the same this year because he did not have Eddie Lacy starting ahead of him. That and half the offensive line from last year is in NFL.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Not an issue. I know you weren't using the injury as an excuse, but barners will see it that way. He played well. If he wasn't healthy enough to play, he wouldn't have. He played his best all season. Last year's OL was a big difference in production.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
TJ was not the same this year because he did not have Eddie Lacy starting ahead of him. That and half the offensive line from last year is in NFL.
One was a Junior the other a true Freshman, but the difference in power between the two against Notre Dame was huge. Lacy was not effected by an arm sticking out, and TJ was, and he was also less explosive to the hole. I never bought into the hype that TJ would end up better than all of our backs, but I did believe he would get stronger, he looks about the same. I then questioned the line, but Henry provided the answer to what having a true power back means. Not only did we have a drop in RB, we were playing basically just one the last two games. New O-Line coach coupled with the new lineman, and a regression back to 2007 at RB hurt.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
He has seemed to tap dance at the line of scrimmage this year and not hit the holes like last year. I know this thread is about Yeldon, but where the heck has Drake been? Anybody know what he's done or did?

92teamownsall

Scout Team
Sep 10, 2013
I'm already looking forward to see the lineup next year and possibly TJ could be 3rd string behind Henry and Drake, especially if Drake can get his act together. I think the fumble last night was a nail in the coffin if you will for next year. We have too many good backs to put up with TJ slinging the ball around in one hand and fumbling in critical situations.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I'm already looking forward to see the lineup next year and possibly TJ could be 3rd string behind Henry and Drake, especially if Drake can get his act together. I think the fumble last night was a nail in the coffin if you will for next year. We have too many good backs to put up with TJ slinging the ball around in one hand and fumbling in critical situations.
Fumbling in the red zone has happened way, waaaay too often the last couple of years. Henry reminds me more of Lacy or Richardson and seems to handle the ball more securely than Yeldon or Drake.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If we really play and start the best players then DH should be the first string RB next year. Unless he has serious regression or TJ has some great development. But from the OU game, DH is way ahead of TJ in all facets.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Sucks to be a starter at Bama considering they do all the dirty work and get less credit than the back up does. He had a solid year getting the tough yards. I do think he's going to have to fight to keep his starter role though

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
If we really play and start the best players then DH should be the first string RB next year. Unless he has serious regression or TJ has some great development. But from the OU game, DH is way ahead of TJ in all facets.
We'll see how henry does handling the the majority of the workload. He looked gassed a couple times on the sideline. Most of these fumbles came late in the game, when TJ was tired.

I want to see more balance in RBs by committee. I think fumbles would decrease more then. Next year we'll be more equipped to do that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm going to stick up a bit for TJ on the fumble. It's really hard to hang on to the ball when you have someone as big and strong as Arie punching it out...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm going to stick up a bit for TJ on the fumble. It's really hard to hang on to the ball when you have someone as big and strong as Arie punching it out...
Yea I agree. It wasn't just that fumble though. I think he's had 6 fumbles this year and lost 5 of them. Hopefully its something that's correctable and TJ can come back stronger and better next year.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
Yea I agree. It wasn't just that fumble though. I think he's had 6 fumbles this year and lost 5 of them. Hopefully its something that's correctable and TJ can come back stronger and better next year.
Not to pile on TJ, but he does fumble at the worst times. Last year A&M and LSU come to mind (I know there are others and more recent ones). The guy can make plays without question though. I have faith in the staff they can help him with ball security. If Tiki Barber can do it, TJ can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dakotatider

1st Team
Sep 20, 2005
I say we do this to help him....

could not find Video clip but the Fumble and what James Caan did in the movie The Program.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
We'll need all the RB's to be on point next year. I'm not predicting wholesale changes to our offense, by any means. But, I expect our new starter to benefit from a stable of RBs, and a safety valve in the firm of OJ Howard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
Come on now. Let's not act like he just played terrible. He ran for over 1000 yards again. In no way was this 2007 again. It seemed to me that we ran more zone concepts in the run game instead of the block down, kick out power/counter plays we've been accustomed to. I think that is partly because TJs running style fits the zone scheme better. He's a patient slasher type. We need to be supportive of TJ, and not just write him off. I bet he has another great year next year and goes over 1000 again.

RTR '13!

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Come on now. Let's not act like he just played terrible. He ran for over 1000 yards again. In no way was this 2007 again. It seemed to me that we ran more zone concepts in the run game instead of the block down, kick out power/counter plays we've been accustomed to. I think that is partly because TJs running style fits the zone scheme better. He's a patient slasher type. We need to be supportive of TJ, and not just write him off. I bet he has another great year next year and goes over 1000 again.

RTR '13!
I don't think anyone is down on him for his production, its more about the fumbles during critical games in the red zone. Just like a QB, it doesn't matter how productive you are if you consistently turn the ball over. TJ averages a fumble every other game this year, that's way to many. Every QB/RB will have the occasional fumble or interception, but it almost seems like an epidemic with him at this point. No doubt he's been very productive but his ball security has to improve. And considering he has a reputation for it now, teams will be keying on stripping the ball from him which makes it all the more important he improves his ball security.

TidePride50

3rd Team
Jan 16, 2010
I don't think anyone is down on him for his production, its more about the fumbles during critical games in the red zone. Just like a QB, it doesn't matter how productive you are if you consistently turn the ball over. TJ averages a fumble every other game this year, that's way to many. Every QB/RB will have the occasional fumble or interception, but it almost seems like an epidemic with him at this point. No doubt he's been very productive but his ball security has to improve. And considering he has a reputation for it now, teams will be keying on stripping the ball from him which makes it all the more important he improves his ball security.
No argument here. No doubt he has to fix it.

RTR '13!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Idk about the injury but as the year went on he wasn't as explosive. DH is going to be a stud. But to say TJ won't be the starter next year is a bit premature. He's the first back in Saban's tenure to have back to back 1,000 yd seasons. He, barring injury, will have another next year. He's in great position to become the all time leader in rush yards at Bama. I know we play more games now but that is negated by the fact he splits carries with another RB. I hope he gets healthy, has a great year, and has a great year in the NFL.

Edit: He only needs 1,223 yards to break SA's record. So if he has a year like this year he will become Bama's all time leading rusher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.