After a day to think about it

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
I have no idea how a team can look so clueless against Texas and Baylor, yet find a way to pull it together against the best team in college football. Bama brings out the best in Sooner football is all I can figure.
Great discussion as usual on this board all day. If you guys make a bunch of changes to a dynasty type team, you aren't the savvy football people I thought you were.
Let's just play again next year.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Historically most teams we play have our game with them circled. We have (unfortunately) on occasion allowed mediocre (not OU) teams/coaches look like champs. IOW, beat us or keep the score close and a season is made or a coach's job is secured in doing so. I know in the conference, we're the game all the rest are looking forward to and prepping for. We always have a big target on our back. Last night we indeed brought out the best in your Sooners.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
When you're the King Of The Hill..Teams play with extra enthusiasm & play above their own abilities to beat you..I'm not saying Oklahoma played above their own abilities, cause y'all lined up, and flat out beat us in every phase of the game..We simple got out played & out coached..No doubt y'all were the better team..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the early interception changed the entire makeup of the game emotionally. Alabama seemed close to just turning this game into a grinder they've done to other teams in bowls recently. OU's sideline went from kinda skittish to ridiculously exuberant at that pick. Friends at the game said that the fans and our sideline really didn't get into the game until after the half.

OU was clearly the more motivated team and in a glorified exhibition like this game...how people internally motivates themselves is everything. There were a lot of things OU did well to bust us on some issues our team has had this year but I really think this game was won and loss on motivation. OU came into this game looking to vindicate that they can play with any team. Alabama came in to prove that they shouldn't be there because they are "national title quality" (our player's comments hint at that honestly). OU had a better motivation because it was focused on the team in front of them not something abstract.

That's just my two-cents.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
That and your QB plays out of his mind. Most OK fans I talked to had no idea what their offensive identity was but clearly CBS and the boys figured it out. Y'all always have a lot of talent. If y'all can stay healthy you might be a final four candidate next year. Best of luck Sooners and please don't throw up all over yourselves against The Univ. of Tejas. If nothing positive happened for that bunch for the rest of time it couldn't happen to a more deserving group of sips. :)

CSA4Ever

Scout Team
Jun 6, 2010
Sure would be sweet to have an all-crimson OU-Tide next year for all the marbles.

That QB Henry looks like a beast! His size and speed remind me of Marcus Dupree.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the early interception changed the entire makeup of the game emotionally. Alabama seemed close to just turning this game into a grinder they've done to other teams in bowls recently. OU's sideline went from kinda skittish to ridiculously exuberant at that pick. Friends at the game said that the fans and our sideline really didn't get into the game until after the half.
Excellent observation and I thought so too! I think our early passing success hurt us because we didn't get the running game going in the first series. Then, after we got the INT off their first possession, we automatically throw again (instead of establishing the run) and AJ throws into triple coverage and that was the beginning of OU scoring on their next five possessions.

Our failure to establish the run and stay with it in the times we did is one of the areas our coaches need to re-evaluate going forward.

To the OP, I agree that we shouldn't have major changes and that we should stick to what has worked so well over the last few years.

OU had a great game plan to attack our weakness and your qb played lights out which is one of the things teams need to knock off Bama in the last few years. Congrats!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

OU was clearly the more motivated team and in a glorified exhibition like this game...how people internally motivates themselves is everything. There were a lot of things OU did well to bust us on some issues our team has had this year but I really think this game was won and loss on motivation. OU came into this game looking to vindicate that they can play with any team. Alabama came in to prove that they shouldn't be there because they are "national title quality" (our player's comments hint at that honestly). OU had a better motivation because it was focused on the team in front of them not something abstract.

That's just my two-cents.
I agree 100% with ya..I had a bad feeling when before the game, Mark May predicted we would win, I think he said 48-10, that we were going to lose the game..Stuff like that building up to the game, can give our Boys a false sense of all they have to do is show up, & we will win the game, instead of earning the victory..Winning like we have the last 5yrs is great, but, after awhile it can become a curse when ego' s start to become huge..It's human nature..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.