Official: Charlie Strong to Texas

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Re: Charlie Strong to Texas (needs a second source)

I think they should wait longer. His resume is not worthy of the job imo. If he coached at Louisville another 3 years and continued winning I would agree.

2010Louisville7–63–4T–5thW Beef 'O' Brady's
2011Louisville7–65–2T–1stL Belk
2012Louisville11–25–2T–1stW Sugar[SUP]†[/SUP]1313
2013Louisville12–17–12ndW Russell Athletic
The big names are already off the table. If they wait too much longer, they'll be stuck choosing between Kiffykins and Chizik.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

I think they should wait longer. His resume is not worthy of the job imo. If he coached at Louisville another 3 years and continued winning I would agree.

2010Louisville7–63–4T–5thW Beef 'O' Brady's
2011Louisville7–65–2T–1stL Belk
2012Louisville11–25–2T–1stW Sugar[SUP]†[/SUP]1313
2013Louisville12–17–12ndW Russell Athletic
I wish he would not take this job but what exactly is wrong with his resume? Guy coached in a state with no D1 talent and won all those games. He was a great D coordinator a Florida and the proof was how the defense struggled after he left. What he did is what Kentucky should have done since they had the SEC brand backing them up. With the pipeline he has in Florida along with the talent in Texas he would have similar results at Texas as he had at Louisville. If not him who should they hire?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Is this the same "source" that said Saban was a "done deal?"

Or the same source who said Saban was a smokescreen and Malzahn was the "real target?"

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Is this the same "source" that said Saban was a "done deal?"

Or the same source who said Saban was a smokescreen and Malzahn was the "real target?"
i thought they were after the Harbaughs or some other ridiculous coach they had no chance whatsoever of getting.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman

I wish he would not take this job but what exactly is wrong with his resume? Guy coached in a state with no D1 talent and won all those games. He was a great D coordinator a Florida and the proof was how the defense struggled after he left. What he did is what Kentucky should have done since they had the SEC brand backing them up. With the pipeline he has in Florida along with the talent in Texas he would have similar results at Texas as he had at Louisville. If not him who should they hire?
I don't know him at all, sure he is a great man. But he has what the scouts consider the #1 QB and top pick in the draft. If it was Alabama, I would not consider him vetted efficiently. I have seen coach after coach win big with special player's only to go back down a notch when they leave. He has a total of 4 years head coaching experience.

It's a gamble imo, but he is on a roll right now.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

If I'm Strong I go all out for this job. He's never going to be top dog at Louisville and with Bridgewater leaving and moving into a tougher league, his stock will never be higher. He can get the big bucks for a few years and if he flops he can always get another Louisville type job.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Charlie Strong to Texas (needs a second source)

Happy for Charlie. 4 years ago, he couldn't pay someone to give him a head gig. Now he's in one of the premiere jobs in the country.

And it's being reported by multiple sources that Louisville is in contact with David Cutcliffe. So there's kind of your second source. Wish Charlie all the best

Edit: now UL's play by play man is saying Charlie is NOT leaving. Texas better hit one out the park with whoever they hire. The BA is looking very Rookie league right now

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Not knocking Strong but.....

You spend MONTHS making a big issue about all your big, bad money and stuff.....you talk down to everybody......you continually say Saban is coming, and the moment he doesn't you fire out names that you claim will drop whatever...

and then you hire CHARLIE STRONG?

You could have done this without all the macho crap.

Texas just found out that all their money can't really buy jack.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I think he'll be more successful than Mack Brown, but just about anyone could at Texas.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Not knocking Strong but.....

You spend MONTHS making a big issue about all your big, bad money and stuff.....you talk down to everybody......you continually say Saban is coming, and the moment he doesn't you fire out names that you claim will drop whatever...

and then you hire CHARLIE STRONG?

You could have done this without all the macho crap.

Texas just found out that all their money can't really buy jack.
This!

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO

I thought I recently heard that Texas has never had a black coach, so I guess Charlie will be their first! I'm happy to see him get a good gig. He seems like a good guy and a hell of a coach.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Charlie Strong is a solid coach. He's pretty by-the-numbers pro-style in his mentality and I think he could build a sort of NFL feeder in Texas. Saban calls more trick plays than Strong...this guy is by-the-numbers as they come.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman

ESPN is saying Strong "would say yes" but not finality on a deal.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...uisville-cardinals-accept-texas-longhorns-job
This sounds like Strong has told someone he thinks he might have the job or something. Could go either way.

Texas is now down to anyone with the last name Bowden

I still think that Mack Brown staying on as an .... to the AD is a cancer to the next coach.....and they know it. Pat Dye 2.0

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.