Game Thread: BBVA Compass Bowl...Vandy vs. Houston

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Live from our former home away from home, no score in the first quarter. On ESPN.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Vandy has the ball in the red zone. I heard Vandy had sold a bunch of tickets, can't tell what kind of crowd showed up overall.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
An unsportmanlike conduct penalty on Houston lets Vandy keep the ball and they make them pay by scoring on the very next play. Vandy 24-0.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Did we offer Jordan Matthews? He has been a complete stud and he's from Huntsville.. Just don't know much back ground on him other than his domination at Vandy since he was a freshman.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Tied up at 24. VAndy got caught biting on a screen. I feel like BAma against AU. VAndy shut them down in the first half. Once these teams get momentum, it is hard to stop them. Need a long offensive drive or defensive turnover to change momentum.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Vandy just realized that all they need to do is line it up and run it down their throats - 31-24. Sounds familiar.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Anybody here go to the game? The paper said there were over 40,000 at the game, which is pretty good, I think. It got over 50,000 last year with Ole Miss, but they probably have a bigger fan base. Still, not a bad draw considering Houston probably didn't bring a whole lot of people.

The bowl had small crowds the first few years. Though they've always had an SEC tie in, it was last in the draft and would get bumped if the SEC didn't have enough bowl teams, which happens a lot when two get picked for BCS bowls. But now that have two more teams and the bowl has moved up a bit in the pecking order, they will likely be able to get an SEC team every year.

I also think it will help draw fans if the SEC school is always someone on the level of Vandy, Kentucky or the Mississippi schools. I think if us or the barn had to go there, it would sell out simply based on the sheer number of fans in the Birmingham area who could do the game in one day. But would LSU, Tennessee or Georgia fans want to make the trip or would they be bummed about a lousy season and not want to go to the expense of the travel (gas, hotel, food) to a third tier bowl game they feel that is beneath them? Given their recent slide, Vol fans may be glad to get into any bowl by next year, but many would probably still scoff at a bowl that does not meet the stature of their program, which is probably second to us in terms of historical prestige.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.