Question: Taking off Crimson Glasses tonight&reflecting back on our season! whats your thought

KYtider

Jul 16, 2013
Taking off Crimson Glasses tonight&reflecting back on our season! whats your thought

First off I don't have that many post on here because I don't have a lot of time to be able to sit down and write an article due to work but, with a day off and time to think about our season I wanted to give my 2 cents on our season without sugar coating everything from a Crimson Shade of Glasses I always wear.

I know a lot of you are going to write that I am spoiled fan due to our recent success and part of that is true because we did win 11 games this year but, lets break it down in a non bias look from the outside. This was the easy schedule we have ever had compared to the championship seasons. We did not play a team a top 10 team realistically the whole season until the iron bowl. A&M was at the time of the game just to hype the game for better ratings but their D was one of the top 10 worst in the country and they almost beat us with 2 players! Coach Saban is without a doubt one of the greatest recruiters/coaches/development of talent ever in college football. But, this year the development part was left out. Some due to players and some due to the coaching staff. I am going to break it down it sections to prove my point.

First our defense as bad as its ever been under Saban and comparable to D's before CNS. They say numbers never lie, but no case ever have numbers lied more than our defense stats this yr. We were in the top 5 in so many categories defensively and didn't belong in the top 20. We were a top 5 scoring defense the entire yr and could not stop no one unless they played exactly into our hands. The only 2 defensive performances the entire yr was against a #21 Ole Miss & #13 Lswho. Other than that take a look at our schedule and the scoring offenses the 11 wins came from. Besides Johnny fball who put up 42. Our statistics came from these 8 powerhouses.
08/31/13vs. Virginia Tech
Atlanta, Ga.W, 35-10
09/21/13vs. Colorado State
Tuscaloosa, Ala.W, 31-6
10/05/13vs. Georgia State
Tuscaloosa, Ala.W, 45-3
10/12/13at Kentucky *
Lexington, Ky.W, 48-7
10/19/13vs. Arkansas *
Tuscaloosa, Ala.W, 52-0
10/26/13vs. Tennessee *
Tuscaloosa, Ala.W, 45-10
11/16/13at Mississippi State *
Starkville, Miss.W, 20-7

Oh i forgot Chattanooga @ home 49-0
So whenever you take 8 games against not one opponent with a D-1 offense, except for Coach Mac's Off and they total 43 points. Boy 5.375 pts per game looks great. Point is our defense was just plain awful the entire season. And left us all believing in fools gold, including myself. So I changed my New Years revolution to HA HA coming back for his senior yr like CJ did because our secondary was definitely the worst unit of our team. So Either our 4&5 star DB from three straight #1 recruiting classes either can't figure our scheme out or our coaches got complacence also this year. But, even as bad as they were I can't lay all the blame on them. I can't remember the last dominate pass rusher we had to come off the edge, I guess Curry and Copeland was just once in a lifetime players even though it seems I watch 15 other schools that all have them, hell oklahoma had 2 that we couldn't block. Our Lb's, I mean only CJ was a stud for us the entire yr. The rest looked completely lost unless it consistent of running straight dive plays at them and then we would need a team to allow us to substitute and give us 10 more sec to line up.
Now I will give my opinion of our offense. AJ unreal year and career, THANKS FOR EVERYTHING. Complete stud and whatever other adjective you can say about one of the greatest players, not only just QB, but complete player and person. I don't know who is going to fill his shoes but I do know its not Blake Sims unless we can hire an offensive mind to put Oregon or the freaking barns offense in during the off season. Will have to wait and see. I think our WR had good years and I am surely going to miss NORWOOD, MR.CLUTCH... Now the rest of offense, I think TJ was either injured or something, he was just not the same player towards the end of the season, Drake was having a good year before he did something to land him in Coach's doghouse.. Henry looked great in the bowl game and we look to be in good position at RB for years to come. Oh I forgot, we may be in good position but I forgot you have to have an O-Line in front of them for us to be ok and that could be a problem. After watching the O-lines from first undefeated team CNS had before we lost to tebow in the SECCG up until last years O-Line, this one just was absolute embarrassing the last 2 games. When we can't get inches against the barn to end the game, to whatever you want to call those 5 against oklahoma none of them looked like an Bama O-line. From both tackles in and also speaking of OT CK YOU ARE NOT READY FOR THE NFL, I don't care what any scout tells you. If you can't put a man that you have 100lbs on face down on the ground every snap I promise you can't block the speed rushers in the league that is close to your size. And after watching AK, people can say what they want about us not doing passage deals but AK is def not at the capstone without a brother named Cryus, unless he is the best OG we have and that is scary. I think Kelly will be ok though for us next yr and become more of a leader as long as he stays healthy, STEEN, just like the other seniors THANKS and you could honestly see who the anchor of our O-Line without you on the field, watch sugar bowl replay a few times like I have if you disagree. I don't want to cuss tonight so we won't mention the kicking game. But, I will just say one thing about it, how does the greatest program in the country just like pass rushers, not have a kicker who kicks a touchback every time he kicks off? Again I see at least 20 schools that never have a kick return against them unless its a fluke. And I will leave kicking at that, forget fg's. I am sorry if people don't agree with everything or anything I have said but I just needed to get it off my chest. I love this site and respect everyone that keeps me updated the majority of time with any info. Just wanted to write this and again its JMO and yeah CNS has definitely spoiled a lot of us because so many fans would give anything if their team won 11 games so a lot of it is just being picky and blowing of steam and glad Tidefans allow you to express your opinion. Hopefully its deju vu from the sugar bowl against Utah. One last thing, I know HA HA is probably gone but CK,Hubbard & Pagan learn from CJ and look what this yr has done for him. RTR Cooper Bateman its your time!

Last edited by a moderator:

KYtider

Jul 16, 2013
Re: Taking off Crimson Glasses tonight&reflecting back on our season! whats your thou

Oh yeah, I didn't proof read my writing so I am sure the grammar police needs to be called, but hopefully people can add their input without the sky is falling oh no and all of that. Because this is how I feel and I also know deep down a lot of you feel the same tonight.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
Re: Taking off Crimson Glasses tonight&reflecting back on our season! whats your thou

Overrated and underclassman hurt us more this year especially the db's and RB
Weaker OL and a new coach made for a rough season and too many penalties
We came into the season with a rock star image that I didn't like.
Not dominating in the 1st game and having no running game through 3 games should have set of the alarm bells
I felt all season that FSU was indeed a stronger team this year, a more complete team, schedule aside.
We are probably between #3-5 but are better than Auburn and Oklahoma, but the realization that the team was not as good as the hype took its toll the last few games.
We will rebound and the bubble was going to burst inevitably, and it should energize the fan base.
We need no overhaul, just tweaks with a base defense against HUNH. Maybe look at what others are doing.

We took a dip, but are not down and should rebound.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

Not the grammar police here but why did you feel the need to use a bold font? It makes it hard to read and make sense of.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA

All in all we had a good season ( not great but good ). A lot of teams would like to be 11-2 right now.
We had some younger players on the team that for whatever reason may not have bought in 100% and no wonder on that with all the hype about a three-peat and such and being told how good they are.

Yeah, we lost the last 2 games but that may be a really good lesson for a lot of the younger guys and possibly even to the recruits coming in.

Bama is still in good shape and should continue our winning ways

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

My thoughts:

There were some really great moments and plays this season. There were some not so good moments and plays this season.

But, at the end of the day, if I really take off my Crimson glasses and examine the situation, 11-2 is a pretty dang good season.

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011

All in all we had a good season ( not great but good ). A lot of teams would like to be 11-2 right now.
We had some younger players on the team that for whatever reason may not have bought in 100% and no wonder on that with all the hype about a three-peat and such and being told how good they are.

Yeah, we lost the last 2 games but that may be a really good lesson for a lot of the younger guys and possibly even to the recruits coming in.

Bama is still in good shape and should continue our winning ways
The 3 peat hype definitely hurt. You have to believe the other stories hurt too. The Fluker benefits, the Saban to Texas rumors, and the "unappreciative fans," stories all had to have an effect too. That is what happens when you are on top.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

If this is your opinion, so be it. Time to move on.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Overrated and underclassman hurt us more this year especially the db's and RB
Weaker OL and a new coach made for a rough season and too many penalties
We came into the season with a rock star image that I didn't like.
Not dominating in the 1st game and having no running game through 3 games should have set of the alarm bells
I felt all season that FSU was indeed a stronger team this year, a more complete team, schedule aside.
We are probably between #3-5 but are better than Auburn and Oklahoma, but the realization that the team was not as good as the hype took its toll the last few games.
We will rebound and the bubble was going to burst inevitably, and it should energize the fan base.
We need no overhaul, just tweaks with a base defense against HUNH. Maybe look at what others are doing.

We took a dip, but are not down and should rebound.
I agree with this with the exception that both Auburn and OU were/are better than us. We are probably no better than 8-10 in the final polls.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL

My take is this:

People are way over-reacting to losing two games at the end of the year. We got outplayed by OU, but we were in both games and if we play anywhere near our capabilities in those games, we would've won both.

All this talk about changing schemes and adjusting is just hot air. Here's the reality - we won back-to-back national titles, 3 out of 4 seasons, won 10+ games every season since 2008, two SEC championships, won three straight against LSU, won 4-of-six against the Boogs, beat UT every season since Coach Saban has been here, and have an unbelievable 3rd-consecutive #1 recruiting class.

People need to relax, stop complaining about a couple of very tough losses and let's move on to talking about the future. It's bright, and us fans need to enjoy it and thank the players and coaches that have made this past few seasons so memorable.

Roll Tide. My .02

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005

If you had formatted your post, I could have read past the first few lines. We were good enough to win 11 games and lose 2. We could have been better and we could have been worse. The season is over. Time to break out the uniform change threads and get teh off season started right. Now how about reverting back to those ugly white helmets?

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA

My thoughts on the past season are more "big picture". I just don't like what the college football has evolved into. I hate the targeting rule. I hate all the wuss HUNH offenses. I know, I know. The rules are the rules. Football is a contact sport. People get hurt playing it. I understand people looking out for player safety but you have to draw a line somewhere or else it's not football anymore. I just hope the rules committee comes to their senses in the offseason or else attendance will continue to decline. The wussification of America continues unfortunately.

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL

We played ok for the year. I think we had deficiencies that were kept hidden until the end. With that said, IMO, the loss in the sugar bowl falls squarely on the coach. He was the source of a distraction following the Auburn game and he let the distraction continue for some time. Lack of focus.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia

To me, its not that we lost two games but more so who we lost them to and how we lost them.

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008

Looking forward, I wonder if the skill sets needed to stop HUNH type offenses are different than the skill sets that traditionally have been needed to compete and win in the SEC. Historically, if you could run and stop the run, you could win consistently. That may be changing, at least on the defensive side. It may force coaches to rethink some schemes or some skill sets when recruiting. I think we lose sight of how difficult it is to have the right schemes and personnel to beat the LSU's of the world and also the A&M's...who we didn't stop last year either. What's needed against one may be less effective against the other. (Either way...it's going to require ELITE athletes in the secondary.)
Hate to admit it, but I've also missed being an occasional underdog. Nothing like going in somewhere and knocking off someone who's supposed to be stronger than you. (knocking the Gators off the SEC throne a few years back...beating LSU for the championship...Lord have Mercy, that was good) If you have the best athletes and "should" win, it creates a tendency to play close to the vest and maybe tight. But if you're an underdog...you know that you have to take some chances. It creates opportunities for excitement...and for greatness. It's just different than "executing a game plan" . (Is it possible that winning, over the long haul, can actually become boring?? Please forgive the blasphemy)
So as painful as the last two games were, I'm excited about next year...and the questions...and how we respond to the challenges. And, even as a rare poster, I'm grateful too to this site. It's a great place to set aside the issues of day to day life for a time and check in on the Tide...and their never ending quest for excellence...
So glad CNS is at the helm. He'll find answers.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN

I agree with this with the exception that both Auburn and OU were/are better than us. We are probably no better than 8-10 in the final polls.
I agree GrayTide. Sometimes we just have to admit we are not as good and move on. Just because we won several NC's in a row doesn't mean this team was as good. I don't like the entitlement attitude that has developed in the Tide fan base. If you are a true Tide fan you take your lumps and look forward to next year. The Auburn field goal return does not erase what has been accomplished at Alabama. Nationally we are considered an elite program who wins National Championships.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

My take is this:

People are way over-reacting to losing two games at the end of the year. We got outplayed by OU, but we were in both games and if we play anywhere near our capabilities in those games, we would've won both.

All this talk about changing schemes and adjusting is just hot air. Here's the reality - we won back-to-back national titles, 3 out of 4 seasons, won 10+ games every season since 2008, two SEC championships, won three straight against LSU, won 4-of-six against the Boogs, beat UT every season since Coach Saban has been here, and have an unbelievable 3rd-consecutive #1 recruiting class.

People need to relax, stop complaining about a couple of very tough losses and let's move on to talking about the future. It's bright, and us fans need to enjoy it and thank the players and coaches that have made this past few seasons so memorable.

Roll Tide. My .02
I think one thing you're missing is that with the exception of two teams every HUNH offense we've faced this year has gashed our defense. We are facing more HUNH's now than we did in 2008 and even from two years ago and the cat is now out of the bag. Our defense struggles stopping it. Our offensive philosophy has increasingly (this season) gotten stagnant and predictable. What we did in 2011 & 2012 means nothing if other teams have changed and adapted in a way to where they are now having a lot of success against a defense they once couldn't crack. Staying the same will lead to more than just 2 losses in a season going forward.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

I can agree with about 90% of what you said, the 5* db's most were first year starters at best, (Blue 3*) we need pressure from DL. I remember an ole miss HUNH team scoring zero on us and beating LSU, so don't think all HUNH's did so great on us. Next year will see more pressure from DL, with better DB play, our problems next year will be if we have a QB that can get the ball to our receivers.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Looking forward, I wonder if the skill sets needed to stop HUNH type offenses are different than the skill sets that traditionally have been needed to compete and win in the SEC. ...
So glad CNS is at the helm. He'll find answers.
It is still eleven on eleven and in most cases this year, I think it is fair to say that our 11 were as good or better than their 11. The game is being rigged for high flying offenses and lot's of scoring. In the past, one way you prevented some of the vomit inducing "throw it up and pray" pass completions we have been seeing is the price a receiver had to pay to go airborne over the middle. Now, if you hit him, you risk suspension of a key player for the rest of the game. You can't pass gas near a quarterback without a flag. The officials are so busy accommodating ballet style offenses and protecting fragile track stars, that they can no longer see offensive holding and ineligible receiver fouls. The kid that was picked last everytime in the school yard is now on the protected species list.

Agreed - CNS will adapt.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.