Question: Taking off Crimson Glasses tonight&reflecting back on our season! whats your thought

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Re: Taking off Crimson Glasses tonight&reflecting back on our season! whats your thou

It is still eleven on eleven and in most cases this year, I think it is fair to say that our 11 were as good or better than their 11. The game is being rigged for high flying offenses and lot's of scoring. In the past, one way you prevented some of the vomit inducing "throw it up and pray" pass completions we have been seeing is the price a receiver had to pay to go airborne over the middle. Now, if you hit him, you risk suspension of a key player for the rest of the game. You can't pass gas near a quarterback without a flag. The officials are so busy accommodating ballet style offenses and protecting fragile track stars, that they can no longer see offensive holding and ineligible receiver fouls. The kid that was picked last everytime in the school yard is now on the protected species list.
I don't disagree with this, but obviously improvements on our end can be made inside these ridiculous parameters.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Re: Taking off Crimson Glasses tonight&reflecting back on our season! whats your thou

I don't disagree with this, but obviously improvements on our end can be made inside these ridiculous parameters.
Can be and must be made - You are exactly right. It doesn't matter that football is being turned into a dance show to the polls and standings.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Can be and must be made - You are exactly right. It doesn't matter that football is being turned into a dance show to the polls and standings.
I'm sorry, but this is rhetoric.

I watched the Cotton Bowl and while the score ended up a little high, it was a tight contest with solid defense for three quarters. I disagree with the implementation of the targeting rule, but to act like this is pure arena football across the board is silly.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I watched the Cotton Bowl and while the score ended up a little high, it was a tight contest with solid defense for three quarters. I disagree with the implementation of the targeting rule, but to act like this is pure arena football across the board is silly.
His description is a bit extreme presently. But the game is moving in the direction he's describing. The defense has been handcuffed and left very, very few options to defend.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Not sure how we got from "being turned into a dance show" to "pure arena football across the board" but I agree, rhetoric was involved.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Not sure how we got from "being turned into a dance show" to "pure arena football across the board" but I agree, rhetoric was involved.
I still think your point is valid. The game has drastically changed in a very short time. It was just five years ago that the Urban Meyer spread option was the craze. Within that time and now we have seen offenses morph into a hyper speed mode AND running some form of the spread option. Which has rendered a MAJOR, MAJOR change in the game.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Regardless of the IB and Sugar Bowl outcomes this may have been CNS best coaching performance since he has been at Alabama. In spite of everything said on here, IMO our overall talent level was down this year and we did not have enough experienced players to over come the lack of talent and this led to the late season melt down. If not for CNS this could have easily been a 8-4 or 9-3 team.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

I still think your point is valid. The game has drastically changed in a very short time. It was just five years ago that the Urban Meyer spread option was the craze. Within that time and now we have seen offenses morph into a hyper speed mode AND running some form of the spread option. Which has rendered a MAJOR, MAJOR change in the game.
Didn't this happen also when Spurrier arrived at Florida? I remember dreading that triple stacked wide receiver formation. It seems to me many were worried that the end of defense was upon us and football had changed. It cycles back and forth. I just don't like the pendulum swinging so far toward a situation where the offense becomes the Harlem Globetrotters and the defense is the Washington Generals. ... rhetoric and hyperbole advisory

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004

Looking back without my glasses, hope and desire for the season- we all new from the very first game that we just didnt "look" right. (just like 2010) The O-line wasn't working properly..there were issues everywhere almost every game.

AustinTider

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2006
Austin, Texas

We were a Terrence Cody, DJ Fluker and Eddie Lacey away from being unbeatable!!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Looking back without my glasses, hope and desire for the season- we all new from the very first game that we just didnt "look" right. (just like 2010) The O-line wasn't working properly..there were issues everywhere almost every game.
Auburn looked worse yet improved from game to game. That's the difference. There's nothing wrong with looking "off" in the first game of the season. Especially seeing what we lost on the OL. But by game eight and nine there should be significant development from game one.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Auburn looked worse yet improved from game to game. That's the difference. There's nothing wrong with looking "off" in the first game of the season. Especially seeing what we lost on the OL. But by game eight and nine there should be significant development from game one.
And there was, BB. But then we fell off. Only the coaches and players know why.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

My thoughts on the past season are more "big picture". I just don't like what the college football has evolved into. I hate the targeting rule. I hate all the wuss HUNH offenses. I know, I know. The rules are the rules. Football is a contact sport. People get hurt playing it. I understand people looking out for player safety but you have to draw a line somewhere or else it's not football anymore. I just hope the rules committee comes to their senses in the offseason or else attendance will continue to decline. The wussification of America continues unfortunately.
Agree completely. No one forces anyone to play collegiate or professional football. If you want to, yes their are risks involved. You are also very generously rewarded at both levels for playing. Free college tuition for 4 years which in a lot of cases is over $100k, or in the NFL paid thousands and/or millions.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.