Question: How Much of an Effect Did the New Assistants Have This Year?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Alabama lost three assistants after the 2012 season. Stoutland went to the Eagles to be OL coach, and they are possibly the best OL in the league. Mike Groh went to the Bears to be WR coach; the WR corps seemed to get better as the season progressed while dealing with backup QBs for about half the season. Jeremy Pruitt left to go to FSU to be DC. We know how that's going.

Stoutland's replacement is Mario Cristobal.
Groh's replacement is Billy Napier.
Pruitt's replacement is Greg Brown.

Thoughts on the assistants? Napier is the only one that didn't have to replace key contributors from last season.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Alabama lost three assistants after the 2012 season. Stoutland went to the Eagles to be OL coach, and they are possibly the best OL in the league. Mike Groh went to the Bears to be WR coach; the WR corps seemed to get better as the season progressed while dealing with backup QBs for about half the season. Jeremy Pruitt left to go to FSU to be DC. We know how that's going.

Stoutland's replacement is Mario Cristobal.
Groh's replacement is Billy Napier.
Pruitt's replacement is Greg Brown.

Thoughts on the assistants? Napier is the only one that didn't have to replace key contributors from last season.
While I like Mario's tough approach, we weren't as effective as we were under Stoutland.
It could also be that the guys who moved on last year were not as easy to replace as we had hoped...

Our problem at the end of last year was that Pruitt was ready to step up to DC, but we already had Kirby
in that position. I think Fisher got a good one in Pruitt.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Stoutland is one of the best in the sport at what he does. Cristobol was inevitably a downgrade but I don't think one year with a very green OL is a fair evaluation. If we struggle with interior OL aggressiveness in the power game next year, I'm worried for him.

h2o

1st Team
Dec 31, 2006
Winfield, Alabama
I have often asked myself the same question this year. Good points and a good question. I have always had the dread and fear factor when we lose an assistant but it seems the next coach has been an upgrade. I'm wondering about these you've mentioned though.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
Hard to say how much effect in such an insulated program. CNS does not air dirty laundry but I bet he knows the answer to your question and I'll bet we see pretty soon if he has concerns.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
While I like Mario's tough approach, we weren't as effective as we were under Stoutland.
It could also be that the guys who moved on last year were not as easy to replace as we had hoped....
No doubt. Jones, Fluker and Warmack were a huge loss. Not sure if any coach could have made those losses any better. They helped to make one of the best college offensive lines, ever.

Bryant Ave

Suspended
Dec 4, 2013
Cullman
The Illegal procedure calls this year has to be a record, and if that was the infraction on the Cade FG in the IB, it cost us the game as much as the "Georgia DB". Maybe some growing pains.

I still believe that the Saban to Texas new contract ordeal distracted the coaches and the team. Discipline and momentum could very well have been compromised just like the last Iron Bowl under coach Fran.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
It's a fair question to ask and from the outside looking in it seems we took a step back but how much of that was due to apathy vs coaching? Convincing a kid who is already wearing two national title rings that he needs to get better has got to be the hardest job in sports. I don't think the Auburn loss really changed that attitude either, because everyone thought it was due to luck. But Oklahoma beat us like a rented mule, AJ and the recivers and Henry kept it close but there was no luck involved. I'm wondering now if they are ready to work and the assistants will be able to work with them more.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Tough to say whether Cristobal is downgrade or not - Stoutland is very good, but he had an embarrassment of riches to work with last year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Stoutland's job with the Eagles is impressive. They were a maligned, underachieving unit for the last few years and they immediately became one of the more aggressive, mauling units in the NFL. They got handled a bit by NOLA last night but that Saints DL had went through a similar ascent with Rob Ryan this year too.

Cristobal had a chore for a year-one job. That is why I don't think he's a problem yet. The second year under Cristobal will be more telling. You don't lose Warmack and Fluker and just keep the same level of physicality but it is his job to make the next Warmack and Fluker down the line.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Disagree on Christobal. We had some studs to work with even though some were 1st year started they weren't exactly green either. Losing Barrett Jones who was a coach on the field couldn't have helped, but he changed our blocking techniques from what had been extremely successful in previous years . The old adage that " if it ain't broke don't fix it" would apply IMO. I miss Pendrey. Christobal may end up at Miami anyway.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Losing Steen and probably Kouandjio is certainly not going to make Cristoblal's job any easier next season.

Though, for whatever reason, Kouandjio seemed to regress this year.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
First let me say, I have no problem questioning things to be sure we are on the right track or if things aren't working out.

But y'all, WE WENT 11-2!!! I don't feel the need to change much of anything as everyone will improve through this experience.

We got beat by the barn in the most unlikely of circumstance and OU due to an uninterested team for an entire half of the game. Being Alabama isn't easy; everybody wants a shot at the title holder.

I went to UA starting in 2000 and graduated in 2003. We lived in mediocrity back then during the Dubose/Fran/Price/Shula era. The type of success we have had under Saban is darn near impossible without the right leadership. Our coaches and "Jimmy's/Joe's" will be fine and great for years to come as long as Saban is here.

Lastly, let's be honest, the odds were stacked against us from the start of the season. It was unprecedented to do what we were in a position to accomplish. None of our coaches or players knew how to handle making history looking at 3 consecutive national championships. Our guys (coaches and players) did their best under the circumstance given.

I will still fly my flags when we are 11-2 or 7-5.

RTR

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
First let me say, I have no problem questioning things to be sure we are on the right track or if things aren't working out.

But y'all, WE WENT 11-2!!! I don't feel the need to change much of anything as everyone will improve through this experience.

We got beat by the barn in the most unlikely of circumstance and OU due to an uninterested team for an entire half of the game. Being Alabama isn't easy; everybody wants a shot at the title holder.

I went to UA starting in 2000 and graduated in 2003. We lived in mediocrity back then during the Dubose/Fran/Price/Shula era. The type of success we have had under Saban is darn near impossible without the right leadership. Our coaches and "Jimmy's/Joe's" will be fine and great for years to come as long as Saban is here.

Lastly, let's be honest, the odds were stacked against us from the start of the season. It was unprecedented to do what we were in a position to accomplish. None of our coaches or players knew how to handle making history looking at 3 consecutive national championships. Our guys (coaches and players) did their best under the circumstance given.

I will still fly my flags when we are 11-2 or 7-5.

RTR
Who was the OL coach in 2010 season? Exactly... and wasn't the Offense suppose to carry the Defense? I remember when I was praying for 11-2 Records few years back. Also, I could careless if they win a NC every year. that is impossible. I just want Bama to be in the conversation every year. Because when they quit talking about your team that is when the team becomes irrelevant. I agree with your post. One more thing, if the fan base doesn't not reel in their ridiculous expectations, they will slowly become spoil brats. I am not flaming anyone on these boards. I live in Fort Walton and we have a melting pot of college and pro fans. I have been observing some bama fans and get what other fans see sometimes. And I do see how some other fan bases act and believe me we don't have a hold on bad fans. RTR!!!

Last edited:

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I think Cristobal will get better. Stoutland wasn't great his first year. Some games, they looked good. Others they didn't. Just consistency for next year.
Greg Brown is a big question mark for me. I know Saban coaches the secondary for the most part, but Brown has not recruited very well. His only 2 commits as the primary recruiter were the 2 JC guys - Reed and Pettway. The 2 others he was secondary on were Hootie Jones (who decommitted for some reason) and Chris Williams (who committed because of Bessent). I wonder how long he will be around.
Napier has recruited well, but our WR corp were not as dominant as I thought they would be. I don't like the lack of movement when AJ had to escape the pocket. Many times they just stood around. Didn't seem to be a plan when coverage broke down.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I think Cristobal will get better. Stoutland wasn't great his first year. Some games, they looked good. Others they didn't. Just consistency for next year.
Greg Brown is a big question mark for me. I know Saban coaches the secondary for the most part, but Brown has not recruited very well. His only 2 commits as the primary recruiter were the 2 JC guys - Reed and Pettway. The 2 others he was secondary on were Hootie Jones (who decommitted for some reason) and Chris Williams (who committed because of Bessent). I wonder how long he will be around.
Napier has recruited well, but our WR corp were not as dominant as I thought they would be. I don't like the lack of movement when AJ had to escape the pocket. Many times they just stood around. Didn't seem to be a plan when coverage broke down.
So now the criticism leaks over onto Norwood, Cooper et al on how they responded to broken plays? Who's next on the firing line: AJ II? Nice kid and sweet story, but facts are facts: We lost two games after he was allowed in the locker-room. Clearly, he should be classified as clutter. Someone has to answer for this sacrilege of an 11-2 season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.