Comment re: 4th Q of Sugar Bowl from an OU fan.

ct4640

Jan 1, 2014
tried to register before the game to talk some football but i guess everyone was already in nola. sorry for being late. very proud of my sooners but the whole 4th qtr it was like you could hear a train coming. and he was wearing # 27. you guys had scored from distance both running and passing all game and we were 1 play away from OT or losing. i never felt comfortable until the last fumble.
i really loved playing bama in 02-03 and wish we could play more home and home. maybe with the new 4 team format and conference tie in with the sugar bowl we can play more often too. hope the qb from norman has a good 4 years at bama.
rtr and bs

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Re: 4th qtr

Welcome.

Sooners may not have been champions coming into the Sugar, but your guys played like they were. OU vs FSU would have been an interesting matchup.
X2 on home and home.

ct4640

Jan 1, 2014

we've been weak on both lines the last few years but with 2 new coaches i think having them get their own guys for a few classes we will be going to be ok. we're pretty young and im very excited for the next few years. most felt our best qb on campus was redshirting this year but knight looked 100% better than he had all year. he bettered his stats for the year in the 1st half. will enjoy watching henry closely next year. what a player

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

No excuses. OU outplayed the Tide. Would have liked to have seen more Henry (#27) for the whole game. I think he is big enough and fast enough to have scored just about every time he got the ball. 2014 season can't come soon enough for me.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Living in Texas, I have a question for our guest:

How on earth did you guys lose to Bevo U? The same Bevo U that lost to Ol' Sis. Just wonderin', from your prospective.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Great game and great win for your program. They deserved it. I don't mean this as sour grapes because truly it is not but I very seriously doubt you will see that game plan again next regular season. Stoops came in with nothing to lose and a point to prove. So he turned the wagons loose knowing at worst the outcome would be what all the experts thought and at best y'all would pull the upset. Obviously we know the outcome of that gamble.

He blitzed like there was no tomorrow and offensive play calling was the same. Honestly, we burnt y'all on a few blitzes and why our staff didn't give our LT some help so we could burn you more was mind boggling. But hey, Bob took some huge risks and they paid off. I think y'all will be preseason ranked top five but I don't think Knight will have another performance like he did Thursday night. I think he could have closed his eyes, spun around three times and threw it and it would have gone to the perfect spot. That's how much in the zone he was. But again, congrats on the win.

UnnamedSooner

Dec 8, 2013
McKinney, TX

Living in Texas, I have a question for our guest:

How on earth did you guys lose to Bevo U? The same Bevo U that lost to Ol' Sis. Just wonderin', from your prospective.
Here's my thought on that:

Bevo U has a lot of talent. Going into that game was very similar to OU going into the Sugar. Everyone was telling texas how they were going to get blown out, they are no good, Mack will resign after the game, etc. For a whole week that's all that was said. Texas has the talent to be very good, and hearing all that leading into that week, I was very concerned. They played a heck of a game. On OU's side, we had just lost our best defensive player for the season along with a couple other very key injuries and the new players just didn't have enough time to get comfortable playing.

ct4640

Jan 1, 2014

cuda texas punched us in the mouth and we never met their intensity. knight was still struggling passing and bell had a bad game but texas just kicked our .... we played 2 fr lb's also but bottom line they were just more physical. and mccoy hit some big passes. hope we get our head right before next oct. i think we will.

ct4640

Jan 1, 2014

I don't think Knight will have another performance like he did Thursday night.
that very easily could be true. he hadnt played anywhere like that all year. i'd like to think the light has come on but time will tell. maybe if he meets with his idol drew brees before every game we'll be ok. we have a good qb coming in rated just below cornwell the bama commit from okla. with hansen and whats on campus we should be fine.
what is bamas qb situation like. does cornwell have a shot to compete early? hes a big strong kid

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

that very easily could be true. he hadnt played anywhere like that all year. i'd like to think the light has come on but time will tell. maybe if he meets with his idol drew brees before every game we'll be ok. we have a good qb coming in rated just below cornwell the bama commit from okla. with hansen and whats on campus we should be fine.
what is bamas qb situation like. does cornwell have a shot to compete early? hes a big strong kid
I think he does, a good one. There's been a lot of talk about FSU's 2nd QB graduating and coming to Bama. He's supposed to be almost as good as the HTW and he actually has some game experience, not to mention he's not rehabbing an ACL. However, that's up in the air. In fact, it all is. Saban has said that the spring competition will be wide open...

CSA4Ever

Scout Team
Jun 6, 2010

I hope Cornwell has a great college career in T town. From what I've read, he sounds like a highly-talented kid of good character and scholastically inclined. Glad y'all got him.

The whole OU team seemed kinda shakey to begin the season and really did not have an offensive direction. T. Knight had that "deer in the headlights" syndrome and the game moved too fast for him. Texas played well enough to win so our team took the tail whooping and decided to get better. By the time for Purple Kansas and Okie Lite, there was a definite identity on offense. Young players matured with reps and reached a peak for the Sugar Bowl.

I don't want to sound like I'm crowing but after seeing the OU team beat Okie Lite in their house, I told my 50 y/o son that OU could beat Alabama. He thought I was nuts and accused me of not taking my meds. I told him that I saw a fire and passion which I had not seen in several years. Those boys were hungry. That fire and passion carried over to the Sugar.

Hope our teams can get together next season in the Super Bowl.

Sooners BigRed

Jan 3, 2014

Chalk me up as one of those who didnt understand why Henry didnt get the ball 20-30 times in this game. The kid reminded me of Marcus DuPree.

I didnt make the game but had several friends who did and all enjoyed themselves and the Bama faithful as well. This wont be news to you folks but that isnt the same reception we got when we played LSU several years ago. Its hard to believe one school should have so many obnoxious fans. But like I said its probably not news to you folks.

You can also add me into those who respect a great program like Bama's. Two great programs that understand how to win and know how to act once they get there. Nebraska is another program that was a intense rivalry but was always respectful and Im sad it ended. I know the OU fans what traveled to Tuscaloosa where blown away by the warm welcome and I hope Bama fans felt the same in Norman.

Im thrilled that the SEC and the Big XII are now tied to the Sugar, we may get a few more of these games but unfortunately (or not unfortunately depending on your point of view) due to the new playoff format, they will be consolation games like this year.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

Chalk me up as one of those who didnt understand why Henry didnt get the ball 20-30 times in this game. The kid reminded me of Marcus DuPree.

I didnt make the game but had several friends who did and all enjoyed themselves and the Bama faithful as well. This wont be news to you folks but that isnt the same reception we got when we played LSU several years ago. Its hard to believe one school should have so many obnoxious fans. But like I said its probably not news to you folks.

You can also add me into those who respect a great program like Bama's. Two great programs that understand how to win and know how to act once they get there. Nebraska is another program that was a intense rivalry but was always respectful and Im sad it ended. I know the OU fans what traveled to Tuscaloosa where blown away by the warm welcome and I hope Bama fans felt the same in Norman.

Im thrilled that the SEC and the Big XII are now tied to the Sugar, we may get a few more of these games but unfortunately (or not unfortunately depending on your point of view) due to the new playoff format, they will be consolation games like this year.

I think the Sugar Bowl is in great hands for years to come. I think the SEC and Big 12 are the 2 best conf without a question.
Trevor awakening reminds me a lot of AJ McCarron's coming out party against LSU in the NCG. OU may have a good2-3 years coming. Good luck. Hope we can play again soon.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

I agree Stoops threw all caution to the wind since there was virtually NO way he could come out a loser in that game. I will give him and his players credit for playing a flawless game. Only mistake were some bad tackling and one pick, which was really just a freak thing that ultimately meant nothing since McCarron gave it right back. When you play mistake free football like that you're going to win a LOT of games. Alabama's final two losses have a very glaring similarity. MISTAKES.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.