Greg McElroy - Under Appreciated?

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
Just watched the 2009 SEC Championship game on youtube and Greg was outstanding, he doesn't seem to receive as much love on here as many former players do. Was he under appreciated or did his bad performances outweigh his good?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Just watched the 2009 SEC Championship game on youtube and Greg was outstanding, he doesn't seem to receive as much love on here as many former players do. Was he under appreciated or did his bad performances outweigh his good?
Oh, GMac was appreciated. Still is.
Very smart football player, student of the game. Great heart, as well.
His biggest weakness was limited arm strength, I should think, but within his game he was more than capable.
He will be coaching soon, I should think, and I believe he will be a good one. (He might go into the business end of the NFL as an alternative.)

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Possibly allowed myself to be incorrectly influenced by ESPN commentators representation of the Tide fans relationship with him.

Asked because as I said in my OP from what I have seen he was very impressive :).
Most at ESPN make snap judgments and ridiculous assumptions about teams and their fans.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Oh, GMac was appreciated. Still is.
Very smart football player, student of the game. Great heart, as well.
His biggest weakness was limited arm strength, I should think, but within his game he was more than capable.
He will be coaching soon, I should think, and I believe he will be a good one. (He might go into the business end of the NFL as an alternative.)
Or President or GM of a franchise. He might also enter politics but I pray he avoids that cesspool.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
As a new Tidefan it's tough for you to understand RWB, but those of us that lived through the years between '92 and '09 will never under appreciate GMac. That guy was savvy. I'll never forget him hopping down the sideline or flexing against the Gators. Also loved the horns down from a Texas kid at the end of the BCSCG.

aerospace_ray

All-American
Oct 5, 2009
Alabama
IMO, I don't how anyone would/not appreciate Greg. He represented our university, football program with class. Plus was instrumental in helping win a national championship. Game manager or not, he is near top of my all time Tide player list. RTR

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Greg is under appreciated, but that 2009 SEC Championship Game was BY FAR Greg's greatest game ever, and actually one of the best performances by a Bama QB in my lifetime. Going into that game, the consensus opinion was that Bama and Florida were very evenly matched teams, except at the QB position. Greg heard all week (all year, really) how much better Tim Tebow was than him, and he played out of his mind in that game. He won MVP of the SECCG game and deservingly so. He left it all on field in that game, and ended breaking his ribs in that game. He could barely play in BCSNCG against Texas and only passed for like 58 yards.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
He was and will always be one of my favorite players. My favorite play by him is that tip toeing the sideline for the first down. :)

WPtider

1st Team
Jan 10, 2006
DC
Two plays that stick out to me from his whole career were the hop down the sidelines in the SECCG and what I believe was his last career play on the reverse to Julio where he absolutely leveled the MSU CB. He may have been limited in what he could do but the staff often realized this and adopted a run first strategy (USC NC year) and he was at his best in many of the toughest situations (final drive at AU 2009). The combination of those two things this year may have translated into a win or two more.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.