My Take on BCSNCG Tonight (and how it may affect us)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Now that our season is over I've been pondering how tonight's outcome may affect Bama into next year:

I'll be watching with no worries or stress, but what happens matters IMO.

If FSU wins I'll chuckle under my breath for the obvious reasons. It is always good when the Barn loses. It would also be appropriate if the Barn is the team that lets the SEC streak come to a close.

However, if the Barn loses I think it serves as motivation for them moving forward. It'll give them the focus and desire much like losing the SECCG did for us against UF in '08.

If the Barn wins (sickening thought) it may also make them a little "fat and happy" and may be "a little too much success too soon" in the rebuilt Barn program.

Just trying to see a positive for us no matter what happens.

(Edit: this is not about the Barn winning/losing affecting recruiting - theirs or ours)

Last edited:

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
This game falls into the "kissing your sister" category. I've debated whether to even watch it or not. Most of us wouldn't mind seeing the Barn fall on their face. Auburn is very lucky to be where they are...I just don't know if their luck runs out tonight or they manage another miracle finish. Since we lost our bowl game I'm more inclined to see them fall on their face. If they do win they might lose more players to the NFL draft and that would suit me as well. I see Auburn as a team that happens to run an offense that people haven't learned to defend yet...other than that I'm not that impressed.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Good point but I'm not so sure. I think Gus's main skill, other than offensive playcalling, is motivating guys to believe they can win. Being beaten pretty handily by an ACC team might make it hard for them to do all those reps in the offseason and all that.

Besides, they have to go through us next season and I see no way CNS won't be ready to beat them handily.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
With all due respect Moon this game will have absolutely zero impact on us. Whoever wins wins...then we will move on to signing day, Spring practice, 4 quarter program and then slide into next season with a renewed sense of urgency and chip on our collective shoulder.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This game will not affect us at all. I repeat - not at all.

If Auburn wins, they're about to experience "Groundhog Day" of 2011. They will wake up tomorrow morning and they will STILL BE the "number two" program in the Heart of Dixie.

Historically, it actually makes our dynasty all the more impressive. "How in the world did Alabama win three out of four when Auburn won two in the same span while recruiting over the same small base of players?" Nebraska didn't have that competition back yonder.

Furthermore, tell me how this is going to hurt us? Is Gus going to walk into a recruit's house and show them his ring? You think Saban won't show him FOUR rings - assuming that's what impresses the kid (and I remain unconvinced that's even a big motivator). I think NFL draft is the bigger (pardon the pun) jewel now, and Gus cannot match Saban's drafted players record at this point.

Next year - win or lose - it all changes. Auburn will not sneak up on anybody like they did this year. This is a team that needed a desperate final passing drive to beat MISSISSIPPI STATE for Pete's sake. Just as with Manziel, next year they will be a four-loss team and the lack of a defense will hurt them.

How did their last title affect us? Remember all that hogwash about "it's the second year after the title that really helps you?" Well their last title affected us so badly that we only won two national championships and were primed for a third. And if that two-year development thing is true then we will be much better than they since we've won more titles.

It may upset a few fans who have to listen to the trailer trash but otherwise it doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Gus is not going to turn Auburn into Notre Dame South, especially if he can't field a defense.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Heard a good one from a pastor this weekend....

"Pulling for Awburn because they are in our conference is like pulling for Satan because he is in the Bible."

Boom.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The thing I`d like to see is how FSU handles the AU O. If they (FSU) bust it up, it`ll be interesting to see how they do it schematically. I`ve got a hunch some of our coaching staff will be watching.

bama70

3rd Team
Oct 19, 2011
NE Alabama
After the 2010 season, I heard one individual proclaim that ---- would freeze over before Auburn would win another title. Unfortunately, it is really cold in our part of the state. There is no way the barn should be able to stay close to FSU. That being said I have a bad feeling how this could turn out.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I don't think it has anything to do with us, but since it's the title game i'll watch on TV. Obviously you'll have people watching to "Keep it in State y'all!!" but I don't care who wins this game, that said I say FSU wins because Jameis won't take no for an answer. And Skip just picked AU, so I know FSU winning now, remember when he picked ND to beat us by 10 I think?

Last edited:

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I'm anxious to see how Coach Pruitt and Coach Sal handle the barn O. It will be easy to cheer for fsu with those 2 running the defense.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
The "Dislike this post" button is right down there. Prepare to use it. I think just making the BCS title game has already been a positive for the AU program. Win or lose.....it's all a positive gain for them. Considering how last season went, the fact that they "toppled" Alabama out of the title game, and the fact that they even made the title game....I don't really think there's even that much difference between winning and losing this game in terms of positive impact for them.

Personally, I hope AU wins. I like the title being in our state. I like it being in our conference. I may not like AU but I respect the football they play and I respect the conference they play in (obviously). I neither like nor respect FSU or the ACC. Whether or not AU fans would do the same for us is irrelevant to me. I don't base my decisions on how other people would act in a given situation.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Who wins tonight will not change how I sleep tonight or how I feel tomorrow.

I think an AU loss, while making me happier than an AU win tonight, might actually make AU harder to deal with next year simply because they'll be more motivated than ever next year. I could be wrong.

However, the great thing about AU's history is they rarely get up and stay up so hopefully they are peaking tonight win or lose!!!

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Who wins the BCSNCG game has no impact on Bama. It may have a positive impact on either or both FSU and AU.

We're well on our way to signing what arguably could be, on paper, our best recruiting class. Eight of those top recruits will be attending classes within a few days.

This new crop of kids knows quite a bit about the top schools and what their strengths, weaknesses and upcoming needs are. Most of them are going to base their decision on where they think they fit into a teams roster and potential playing rotation. That makes it more like a business, which is good, bad or indifferent based on a multitude of opinions.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
You are overthinking it just a bit. I probably won't watch the game..maybe switch over to see the score.

But I am sure our motivation is already set for next season. It will be up to our players to play to their potential and nothing to do with Auburn winning or losing tonight.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I think the OP is reaching a little also. This game could affect recruiting, but it won't affect the mindset of Bama or Auburn next season. Both coaches are good enough to keep players focused on what needs happen.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.