My Take on BCSNCG Tonight (and how it may affect us)

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
Auburn's National Championship was beating US. They are so short sighted they cant see past US. Win or Lose they have accomplished what they set out to do, keep us out of the Championship game.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Who has the advantage of DL and OL's?

That will factor in to who wins, I would think.

To your question - the die has already been cast.....the deed has been done....the cookies will crumble and the chips will lay where they fall.

In other words.....I agree with CoolBreeze! ;)

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
This game falls into the "kissing your sister" category. I've debated whether to even watch it or not. Most of us wouldn't mind seeing the Barn fall on their face. Auburn is very lucky to be where they are...I just don't know if their luck runs out tonight or they manage another miracle finish. Since we lost our bowl game I'm more inclined to see them fall on their face. If they do win they might lose more players to the NFL draft and that would suit me as well. I see Auburn as a team that happens to run an offense that people haven't learned to defend yet...other than that I'm not that impressed.
I agree with you 100%. Not too many big time D1 programs spend time learning to defend Gus' simple Delaware Wing-T style high school offense, because most D1 teams have better personnel and don't have to resort to that type offense. All you have to do to defend it is to have CB's you can trust to defend 1 on 1 and stay on their man, while the other 8-9 defenders attack the backfield. Once you begin pushing Auburn's offensive line into the backfield and disrupting their play, they will begin to look like the LSU offense that showed up to play us in the 2011 championship game - pathetic. And they don't have near the athletes that LSU team had. Auburn's defense will give up over 600 yards to FSU tonight - bank on it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
With scholarship limitations teams can't hoard up all the talent anymore. Which ever team wins there'll be a sugar high for a while but other teams will still get great players. I do not think it is going to all of a sudden start turning blue chip players away from Alabama. What does that is sanctions and bad coaching staffs.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I think the OP is reaching a little also. This game could affect recruiting, but it won't affect the mindset of Bama or Auburn next season. Both coaches are good enough to keep players focused on what needs happen.
these games definitely affect recruiting....i would love nothing more than for FSU to prove that "the Barn got lucky up until this point."

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Bama will still be Bama, and Auburn will still be Auburn. One good year, and Auburn thinks they are unstoppable. A win tonight might reinforce that belief, but once teams adjust, the Barners will learn that a one dimensional offense is easy to defend once teams adjust their schemes accordingly. If Gus goes pass happy once his current QB leaves, then Auburn will be even easier to stop since most HUNH teams are pass happy. Most good teams will already be prepared to stop a pass happy HUNH since they have already started recruiting quicker players to cover the field.

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
Don't see where it will affect the recruiting to much. Saban still has a lot to offer to kids that are looking for a spot in a top of the shelf program. Opportunity for an education from the University of Alabama that will be with the student athlete long after the knees are shot. Also a proven spring board to NFL under the staffs guidance.

Not to hijack this thread, but hate to start another thread about aubie. Have not read to much in the line of complaints regarding tactics on the recruiting trail by the fambly. Is guster running a little cleaner program than the prior regimes on the plains? I also wondered if pat dye was still in a corner office in the football complex? I don't trust either Fla St or awbie to be above board where recruiting is concerned.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
One more post and I'm done (on this subject):

Quit buying into Auburn's spin about this whole thing.

1) They are NOT our arch-rival, Tennessee is.

2) No coach has ever been fired at Alabama for losing to Auburn

3) We did NOT "have a great season" if we go 1-11 but beat Auburn; that IS true of them but it most assuredly is NOT true of us.

4) When they awaken tomorrow morning even after a victory, the axis of dominance will STILL be sitting on Bryant Drive. We will STILL be the standard of all dynasties and champions going forward, and one little ole title in Opelika ain't changing that.

5) They need us, we could care less about them. (We're talking about them only because they're in the game - and only because Ohio State lost to Mich St).

6) Lots of guys tear through the batting order with ease the first time. aTm had an EASIER schedule this year than last - and look at what happened. People adjust - and it will happen again.

7) Jay Jacobs will still be a whiner who wanted to argue why Auburn's loss somehow "didn't count" and Nick Saban will still have more national titles on his hand than Auburn has in their entire history.

8) We will be hungry next year, they won't. I think we all know what that means.

9) As an old late, great buddy used to say S.N.A.S.S.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I have a few questions about Gus' offense.
#1: What, exactly, is it? I mean, it has appeared to me to be different almost every year, except in the fact that he likes to use someone at QB who can run, even if it is not a full-time QB (e.g., Darren McFadden). He used to be "the Wildcat guy."
#2: Whatever it is, the SEC has had several years to catch on. I mean, he's been coaching in the SEC now for 5 years and in college ball for 8 years total. When are defenses supposed to catch on?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
For the record, this post has nothing to do with recruiting. Some have read that into it, but in the OP I wasn't talking about that (or else, like a well trained poster, I would have added post on the recruiting board).

The extra motivation that the Barn might get if they lost, that I thought I made clear, was extra determination for next year. For those of you stating this doesn't affect us (in that we have to play them next year) do you not think us losing will hopefully have a positive affect on our determination and focus next year as we play the Barn and other key opponents???

So for that reason, if they lose it may in fact make them harder to deal with next year. If they win they have a bigger target and more expectations (they'll be talking repeat) because they have a fairly good nucleus coming back and there will be natural complacency like we fought this year IMO.

Perhaps the biggest win/win tonight is the Barn gets beat so bad that they feel unvalidated, they question their abilities/schemes and maybe believe their "luck" finally ran out and then next year they implode with self doubt!

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have a few questions about Gus' offense.
#1: What, exactly, is it? I mean, it has appeared to me to be different almost every year, except in the fact that he likes to use someone at QB who can run, even if it is not a full-time QB (e.g., Darren McFadden). He used to be "the Wildcat guy."
#2: Whatever it is, the SEC has had several years to catch on. I mean, he's been coaching in the SEC now for 5 years and in college ball for 8 years total. When are defenses supposed to catch on?
He claims he created this offense. He took some offense he was a part of back in his early coaching days as a HS coach and has built on it ever since.

Stopping his offense requires players with smarts and athleticism.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
He claims he created this offense.
Not to be obtuse, but what is that offense? It really appears to me that he doesn't have "an offense." He has seemed to change his offense to fit his personnel. Maybe he bases it on the Delaware Wing-T (isn't that right?), but it's not a strict offense that he seems to run.

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
For the record, this post has nothing to do with recruiting. Some have read that into it, but in the OP I wasn't talking about that (or else, like a well trained poster, I would have added post on the recruiting board).

The extra motivation that the Barn might get if they lost, that I thought I made clear, was extra determination for next year. For those of you stating this doesn't affect us (in that we have to play them next year) do you not think us losing will hopefully have a positive affect on our determination and focus next year as we play the Barn and other key opponents???

So for that reason, if they lose it may in fact make them harder to deal with next year. If they win they have a bigger target and more expectations (they'll be talking repeat) because they have a fairly good nucleus coming back and there will be natural complacency like we fought this year IMO.

Perhaps the biggest win/win tonight is the Barn gets beat so bad that they feel unvalidated, they question their abilities/schemes and maybe believe their "luck" finally ran out and then next year they implode with self doubt!

This scenario sounds pretty good to me...:D

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Yes, Gus's offense comes from the Wing-T. Good read from Chris Brown here.
From that article, I think this summarizes what I've observed:
from article said:
Over the last several seasons, Malzahn and his offensive coordinator, Rhett Lashlee, have evolved the offense beyond its wing-T roots. Rather than chase the latest trends floating around coaching clinics, however, the two have always built their offense around their players, in particular their quarterback. While many consider Malzahn a run-game guru, he has coached pass-happy offenses, run-heavy attacks, and evenly balanced offenses over the last seven years.
That's why it's so hard to stop Malzahn's "offense." It's never the same thing. It incorporates Wing-T, zone-read, the pistol, quadruple option, among other philosophies.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Yes, Gus's offense comes from the Wing-T. Good read from Chris Brown here.
It has many elements of the Wing-T which my high school has run on and off for 5-decades along with the wishbone. But I think it is more like the Single-Wing and Notre Dame Box from the old days. Either way, Gus hasn't invented anything but rather has taken certain things from these offenses and tweeked them together.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

That's why it's so hard to stop Malzahn's "offense." It's never the same thing. It incorporates Wing-T, zone-read, the pistol, quadruple option, among other philosophies.
A reason for Gus's success along with Chad Morris's and Art Briles's is their high school experience. A HS coach can't recruit for his particular system. He works with the hand he's dealt.

With that said, they're going to get the guys that best fit their desired system.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I think GM best attribute as a head coach is adjusting his offensive style to fit his personnel. I don't think any other coach could have had this auburn team in the NCG. I know they got some lucky wins, but they were still in those games. Auburn does not have close to the most talented roster but they still managed 12 wins.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.