Since the BCS is toast after tonight, how do you rank the BCS champions?

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
My Top 5:

1. 2001 Miami Hurricanes
2. 2004 USC Trojans
3. 2009 Alabama Crimson Tide
4. 2005 Texas Longhorns
5. 2008 Florida Gators

Honorable (6 & 7)

6. 2011 Alabama Crimson Tide
7. 2003 LSU Tigers

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
What's so special about the '01 Canes? My memory ain't all that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They basically destroyed everyone they played, FSU, Syracuse, Washington, and Nebraska who were ranked in the top 15. Plus the talent was crazy, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Frank Gore all RBs. Ed Reed, Sean Taylor just too much to name.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
What's so special about the '01 Canes? My memory ain't all that great.

Probably the most talented team in the modern era of college football.

Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Najeh Davenport, Frank Gore, Jeremy Shockey, Kellen Winslow, Andre Johnson, Bryant McKinnie, Jerome McDougle, William Joseph, Vince Wilfork, Vernon Carey, Jonathan Vilma, DJ Williams, Ed Read, Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Phillip Buchanon, and Rocky McIntosh.

17 players were drafted in the first round of the NFL Draft. That's 20% of their roster were first round picks.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
My Top 5:

1. 2001 Miami Hurricanes
2. 2004 USC Trojans
4. 2005 Texas Longhorns
5. 2008 Florida Gators

Honorable (6 & 7)

7. 2003 LSU Tigers
This is probably about right. That Miami team might have actually been able to beat an NFL team in 2001. They were dang good.

FWIW, 2004 USC had to vacate the title as a result of the Reggie Bush scandal.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
2005 Texas = 2010 barn. No Vince or $cam no NC.

That Texas team was loaded with big talent. Jamaal Charles, Michael Huff, Michael Griffin, Brian Orakpo, Jordan Shipley, Limas Sweed, Frank Okam, Tim Crowder, and Aaron Ross. They dominated everyone except for the road game against Ohio State at the beginning of the year.
I think this Texas team was probably the #2 BCS Champion of this era. I don't think #1 is debatable. It has to be 2001 Miami. The only knock on them is that they played one close game. I mean, that's it.

After #1 and #2, it gets dicey. 2009 Alabama is up there, probably #3. I even think 2002 Ohio State should be up there - they were undefeated, had a great defense, and have probably the best win of all the teams - against the 2002 Miami team.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
That Texas team was loaded with big talent. Jamaal Charles, Michael Huff, Michael Griffin, Brian Orakpo, Jordan Shipley, Limas Sweed, Frank Okam, Tim Crowder, and Aaron Ross. They dominated everyone except for the road game against Ohio State at the beginning of the year.
I think this Texas team was probably the #2 BCS Champion of this era. I don't think #1 is debatable. It has to be 2001 Miami. The only knock on them is that they played one close game. I mean, that's it.

After #1 and #2, it gets dicey. 2009 Alabama is up there, probably #3. I even think 2002 Ohio State should be up there - they were undefeated, had a great defense, and have probably the best win of all the teams - against the 2002 Miami team.
They probably would have lost to Ohio State without young. As for 2002 Ohio State that may have been one of the weakest teams. They needed a bad PI call to win.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
I had the 2009 Alabama team in the top 5 because they were just so good, produce the program's sole Heisman trophy winner, I believe the defense is underrated, and rightfully so because look what came 2 seasons later. Almost upset by Tennessee & Auburn but the team did not fold, after Auburn they put a beat down on Florida in which McElroy showed out.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I had the 2009 Alabama team in the top 5 because they were just so good, produce the program's sole Heisman trophy winner, I believe the defense is underrated, and rightfully so because look what came 2 seasons later. Almost upset by Tennessee & Auburn but the team did not fold, after Auburn they put a beat down on Florida in which McElroy showed out.
If I recall correctly, this team is ranked by the computers as the #1 team of all time. That doesn't necessarily mean they were better than teams of other eras, but that team finished the season by beating Texas (the eventual #2 in the final polls), and Florida (the eventual #3 in the final polls). They also beat Virginia Tech (eventual Top Ten team in the final polls). They also beat LSU and Ole Miss, both of whom ended the year ranked in the Top 20. The computers seem to think that is the best resume of all time, and so the team is ranked by the computers as #1.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
My Top 5:

1. 2001 Miami Hurricanes
2. 2004 USC Trojans
4. 2005 Texas Longhorns
5. 2008 Florida Gators

Honorable (6 & 7)

7. 2003 LSU Tigers
This is fairly accurate, but I'd have to put the 2011 and 2009 Alabama teams 3rd and 4th. The 2011 defense was the best I have ever seen!

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
That 2001 Miami Hurricanes team only beat Virginia Tech by 2 points. That was a 3 loss VT team that also lost to Syracuse and Pitt. So they didn't blow everybody out. They may be considered the best team of all time due to so many high NFL draft picks, but I'd put either of the 2011 or 2009 Crimson Tide teams against any team that's ever been assembled on the field in a real game and feel pretty good about my chances.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They basically destroyed everyone they played,
Mostly

They beat FSU by 22; North Carolina beat the Noles by 32 and Florida beat them by 24. FSU lost four games that year.

Syracuse,
Can't argue with this one.

Washington,
True, but 5-6 Oregon State also blew out Washington (49-24). UCLA routed Washington. This is the same UCLA team btw that only beat us 20-17 that same year. We were 7-5.

and Nebraska who were ranked in the top 15.
Nebraska was number two and had beaten every foe by double digits.

Colorado 62
Nebraska 36

The Buffs drilled Nebraska worse than Miami did. And Miami, unlike CU, had a month to get prepared.

Plus the talent was crazy, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Frank Gore all RBs. Ed Reed, Sean Taylor just too much to name.
Yes, they had some good players - so does nearly every BCS champion not named Auburn. My goodness, JaMarcus Russell was a top draft pick.

2001 Miami was a product of the times. Their schedule was not even in the same solar system as the 2009 Tide.

1) 2009 Alabama - played the second toughest schedule in the nation and went unbeaten. Knocked off the champs of 2005-06-07-08. Beat numbers two and three by double digits. They beat TEN TEAMS in 14 games with winning records, and eight won at least eight games.

2) 2004 USC - yeah, they got stripped. So what? They routed the opposition through the season and in the Orange Bowl.

3) 2001 Miami - hey, I didn't say they were bad.

4) 2008 Florida - they beat all foes by double digit margins except Ole Miss. And that was not a bad Ole Miss team - the Rebels routed one-loss Texas Tech in the Cotton Bowl.

5) 2011 Alabama - the greatest defense ever assembled in college. One close game - but it was a loss. The reason they're so "low" is not their fault - the schedule just wasn't really all that tough. Played five ranked foes, beat four. Would be on top, however, if not for the LSU loss because the SoS would be higher (having beaten UGA in the SECCG) and there would be no blemish.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.